1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

PL25 1.4 with extension tubes?

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by scottz, May 19, 2013.

1. scottz

scottz Mu-43 Regular

Jun 18, 2011
    Littleton, CO
    I currently don't have any macro capabilities, but I do have a PL25 1.4. Has anyone tried it out with extension tubes? Any shots you,can post here?

2. cuegeee

cuegeee Mu-43 Rookie

Apr 18, 2013
    California
    I tried mine with the macro tubes and its near impossible to focus.

3. thelaxong

thelaxong Mu-43 user

Jan 13, 2011
    Melbourne - Australia
    I just did a quick and dirty test for you. The working distance is probably too close to use on insects, spiders or other mini creatures. However it is possible to AF on static objects. It required a lot of fiddling but macro photography is probably 'that' anyway.

All 4 pictures are not cropped, mounted on a cheap (40$) tripod with fl-36r directly mounted and bounced straight up (haven't work out how to use flash as yet!)

PL25 with 10mm Kenko tube:
    pl25mm_10mmkenko.

PL25 with 16mm Kenko tube:
    pl25mm_16mmkenko.

PL25 with 10+16mm Kenko tube:
    pl25mm_26mmkenko.
    This one was tricky. It virtually touching the flower or about to :) ... 6mm-9mm away!

PL25 only and the mini flower is the one in the middle of the frame. Please ignore the composition and lighting ;) as this was quick and dirty to showcase that the tubes could work with the PL 25mm.
    pl25mm-4.

Btw, Do you own the Oly 45mm or the Pana 100-300mm lenses? I have used both with the Kenko Tubes and they work well together. Good luck.

4. iGonzoid

iGonzoid Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 6, 2011
    Tasmania, Australia
    The difficulty with ext tubes is that the wider the angle of the lens, the closer you have to be to your subject, especially if you stack the 10 and 16mm Kenko tubes. However, they work well on longer lenses, even the 100-300, as remarked above, providing linked AF and metering. If you go to legacy lenses, the longer the better. I have used the tubes on my Leice Tele Elmarit 180mm f2.8 to chase bumble bees. Go long.

5. scottz

scottz Mu-43 Regular

Jun 18, 2011
    Littleton, CO
    Sorry I haven' replied sooner. I don't have the lenses you mentioned. Thanks for the info and photos.