PL25 1.4 vs P20 1.7 vs O45 1.8

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by cybertron, Dec 13, 2013.

1. cybertron

cybertron Mu-43 Regular

Dec 5, 2013
    Hi
    I am torn between which lens I should buy, I can only afford one of these, and the pricedifference is quite high here in sweden

PL25 1.4 = 930$
    Pana 20 1.7 = 580$
    Olympus 45 1.8 = 400$

I would love the 1.4 fstop and it would be quite nice, but it is more than twice as expensive as the 45. however, I am afraid that it is going to be to long for indoors.

which of these offers the best sharpness, most bang for the buck ? please help me :D

2. nstelemark

nstelemark Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 28, 2013
    Halifax, Nova Scotia Canada
    Larry
    Wow. The PL25 is nice but I would not pay $930.

Totally different FLs in this list though.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Steven

Steven Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2012
    USA
    Wow, those prices are insane. They are all excellent. 45mm is quite different field of view though. Is that what you are looking for? Portraits? if not, the 20mm is perfect all around lens.

• Like Like x 1
  4. cybertron

cybertron Mu-43 Regular

Dec 5, 2013
    well, yes, it is more of a walkaround, allround indoors low light lens. Yeah, been leaning toward the 20mm. I have a Super Takumar 50mm 1.4 so if needed I could use that for portraits.

5. cybertron

cybertron Mu-43 Regular

Dec 5, 2013
    yeah prices are extreme...and the dollar is low not that bad though :D

in swedish crowns it is around 5500:- which equals 930$, i am guessing it is cheaper on amazone ...but then I have to pay import taxes....

6. DynaSport

DynaSport Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 5, 2013
    Dan
    I bought the 45 first because I could afford it better and waited for the 25 to go on sale, which it does periodically on Amazon and at B&H. I have really enjoyed the 45 and even use it indoors, although of course indoors it is more of a head shot lens than an environmental portrait lens. The 25 is on sale now, so I just pulled the trigger on it. I really wanted the 25 over the 20 because of what I have heard about slow low light focusing on the 20.

Now, while I really like the 45, it didn't make me want the 25 any less. In your shoes, with the extreme price difference of the 25 and 20, I'd probably give the 20 a try to see if it worked for me. And I'd probably start there. Because as much as I like the 45, I do think the 20 or 25 would be more versatile. It really comes down to what you want most. I'm glad I will soon have both.

7. kevinparis

kevinparis Cantankerous Scotsman

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    can we stop these silly choice posts... no offence to the OP, but these questions are like asking should I buy a VW Polo, Golf or a Passat...

It depends on your needs

All are good... all will offer more sharpness than you can discern, especially if you are at a stage where you have to pose this question.

I have all those lenses

I got a lot of use out of the 20 when I had my e-p1 ... its a great general purpose street/social lens, use it rarely now I have the 17/1.8

the 25 has a special character to the lens, but I find I don't use it that much...as a focal length it doesn't work for me

The 45 is very good, and probably the best value for the money, but its not a focal length I am particularly comfortable with

see what I am getting at.... its not about sharpness...its about what kind of images you want to take.

All of these lenses have a focal length that fall within the kit zoom I am guessing you have... look back at you photos and see what focal length you use most, or failed photos where a wider aperture would have helped

I would explore the used market... you should be able to get the 45 and the 20 for less than the new price

they would be the two I would buy first

K

8. Jaynometry

Jaynometry Mu-43 Regular

Sep 13, 2011
    Toronto, Ontario
    If you're a portrait shooter = 45mm. It's one of the best lenses for m4/3 no matter the cost.
    Anything else, the PL 25 and the 20 is a tossup. The focal lengths are too close but some may say that one doesn't replace the other and they happily own both. Depending on your needs and the lenses you currently have, I'd start with the 45, then buy the 25, then 12. You'd have a nice trio of lenses that could do mostly anything.

9. cybertron

cybertron Mu-43 Regular

Dec 5, 2013
    i wanna say thanks to all of you , and I have actually decided to go for the pl25, found a guy that sells it almost new (1 month old) for about 450$ so that is in my pricerange!

10. Jaynometry

Jaynometry Mu-43 Regular

Sep 13, 2011
    Toronto, Ontario
    May I ask where you're from? Those are steep prices for gear.

11. cybertron

cybertron Mu-43 Regular

Dec 5, 2013
    yeah, I live in Sweden, 1$ = 6 swedish crowns
    the prise for the pl25 is 5600 sweidish crowns and if taken 5600/6 = 933$

12. Rich M

Rich M Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 2, 2010
    Just bought a new Golf yesterday……that means I can put some phat injectors on the old TDI and zoom zoom……..oh, sorry, we're talking about "the should I get this or that" thread.

Sorry…...:smile:

13. egb

egb Mu-43 Rookie

Jul 22, 2011
    west coast, canada
    Gary
    Congrats on your new lens choice!

I find it really useful to get the input of others when deciding on your next lens purchase, even when comparing different focal lengths. When you're still building your lens collection and discovering what style of photography you like to shoot, I find it really helpful to hear what people think of specific lenses and how they're using it. I wish I could own every lens I wanted, but unfortunately I'm too poor. :smile: But I sure do get enjoyment reading what others get to buy.

I have the PL25 as well and contemplated selling it this year in favor of a zoom or telephoto lens. In the end, I decided to hang onto it to have a fast 1.4 lens for indoor/low-light. I also find it can make-do as a portrait lens in a small space. Plus, the image is incredibly sharp and the focus ring is sooo smooth, if you like to focus manually.

The PL20 on the other hand is an excellent all-purpose lens and can make your camera pocketable, if that's important to you. I do find it can be horribly slow to focus in low light and the focus ring isn't the smoothest. But for a pancake lens, its probably the best choice for M43.

• Like Like x 1