PL1 photos compared to T2i photos - comments

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by dave92029, May 16, 2010.

1. dave92029

dave92029 Mu-43 Regular

May 7, 2010
    Escondido, CA
    I took my E-PL1 with 14-42mm kit lens on a hike with me to San Diego Zoo's Wild Animal Park. I took a similar route last week with a Canon T2i and it's 18-55mm kit lens.

The photos were taken under different conditions, and setting but the E-Pl1 images look better to me . What do you think?

The first two photos are with the E-PL1, the second two are with the Canon T2i.

• Like Like x 2
  2. ajramirez

ajramirez Mu-43 Veteran Charter Member

Jan 16, 2010
    Caguas, Puerto Rico
    Looks like the T2i pictures were taken under an overcast sky, while the E-PL1 pictures were taken on a sunny day. The T2i pictures could use some PP to give them a little more life. Both sets are nice.

Regards,

Antonio

3. BBW

BBW Super Moderator Emeritus Charter Member

If circumstances were the same, which I know they're not, my vote would go for the E-PL1's shots... Not sure if it's fair to compare as is, however I do much prefer your first two - in particular that first one. Very nicely done.

4. dcisive

dcisive Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 19, 2010
    Salt Lake City, Utah
    Lee
    Images from a top flight DSLR vs. a PL1 for example are NOT going to show themselves much in images that will likely print at or below 13x19. It is primarily when you are shooting in a dynamic range challenged situation ( bright sun and land, sunsets etc.) where you'll find greater differences. I notice in side by side evaluations of my D5000 and D700 DSLR along side the E-PL1 that only in bright sun where things like white vinyl fencing can blow out slightly or exhibit a tad less detail while the Oly wants to preserve the rest of the image as a priority. Otherwise it is rare that the Oly will lose in a reasonably sized image. I actually fine the color rendition is superior on the Oly which has surprised me. Only in RAW can it be achieved by other cameras.

5. dave92029

dave92029 Mu-43 Regular

May 7, 2010
    Escondido, CA
    I agree. I recently sold all my DSLR gear, for reasons still unclear. I was going to replace some of the sold gear, but after adding up the cost I decided to just use the E-PL1 for a while.

I almost always view my photos on either my iMac or the HDTV. I don't believe that I have ever printed a 13x19 print, so even though this is not an apples to apples comparison, the comparison is being viewed as I see all of my photos, and the Olympus photos make me feel very good especially when i consider how much $$ I saved.

I confess, that when walking through the Wild Animal Park (Zoo) where there are so many folks carrying big lens mounted on beautiful DSLR bodies, that I was concerned that my photos may not look as good as theirs. :eek:

I realize that the feeling is silly, so doing this comparison helps me to feel better about my decision. Now I need a telephoto lens for the PL1. :rolleyes:

• Like Like x 2
  6. john1027

john1027 Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 5, 2010
    Alexandria, VA USA
    Like Dave, I sold off much of my DSLR gear which was needing a refresh one way or the other. I still had a 50 mm f/1.4 and tried it out with a borrowed T2i over the weekend. It is a great camera especially on the video end, but overall, I am happier with the E-PL1, especially as mentioned above below 13 x 19. Now if you throw an L lens on the T2i, it would be a different story, but there you are talking much more money, weight, and size. Your needs and wants might be different, but overall I would stay with the E-PL1.

7. ajramirez

ajramirez Mu-43 Veteran Charter Member

Jan 16, 2010
    Caguas, Puerto Rico
    This may sound a bit controversial, but here it goes anyway.

I have owned 4 DSLRs and the E-P1, since I made the shift to digital photography in late 2004. I shoot RAW exclusively and post process using Photoshop. I print most of my "good" pictures using an Epson 3800.

In my opinion, it is impossible, by looking at the prints, to tell with which camera each photo was shot. Differences in exposure or post-processing are much more apparent.

I am as satisfied by the picture quality I am obtaining from my E-P1 as I am from my Canons. Whether I use one or the other depends on the requirements of the shoot, the appropriate lenses for what is being shot, and the need to use flash. Having said that, since I bought the E-P1, I have taken at least 20 shots with the E-P1 for each shot taken with either of my Canons.

For the record, I have a 50D and a T1i and good Canon glass. It may be the case that if I had a 5D Mk II or a 1Ds my opinion would be different.

FWIW, I have never been enamoured of the JPEG output of the Canons. I have seen straight from camera JPEGs here from Oly Pens that are wonderful, so it is possible that in a JPEG to JPEG comparison the Oly may have the Canon beat. Since I never shoot JPEG, it makes no difference to me.

Just my two cents.

Regards,

Antonio

• Like Like x 2