1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

PL1 IBIS Questions

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by dancebert, May 21, 2015.

1. dancebert

dancebert Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 18, 2014
    Hua Hin, Thailand
    Two questions about my new 2nd body, a PL1. Focal length input IBIS setting for zooms: use the max FL?

One can use IBIS or lens's stabilization. Any ideas if the P14-45 IS is better than the IBIS? I'd test, but am currently limited to viewing images on the PL1's LCD until the end of my travels.

2. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

For anything except 3 or 5 axis, go with in lens. If it's a native zoom, you don't have to set the IBIS FL, it will change as you zoom. That setting is for full manual lenses without electronic contacts to the camera.

3. dancebert

dancebert Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 18, 2014
    Hua Hin, Thailand
    Thanks.

Doesn't surprise me that an Oly menu allows changing a setting that will have no effect.

4. jyc860923

jyc860923 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 28, 2012
    Shenyang, China
    贾一川
    Isn't it since EPL5/EPM2 has Olympus included the option to prioritise in-lens IS? I'm not sure how EPL1 handles the IS with P14-45 but I do recall the Panasonic OIS being more effective than the EPL5 IBIS.

I could be wrong but if the combo over compensates then you'll have to disable either one.

• Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  5. dancebert

dancebert Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 18, 2014
    Hua Hin, Thailand

No prioritize option I could find. So I turned off IBIS and on OIS. Seems to work fine. Thanks for the info on the Panny's OIS relative effectiveness.

• Like Like x 1
  6. On an E-PL1 you should choose only one stabilisation method, not both. I'd be inclined to go with the lens OIS.