PL over Oly?

DaveEP

Mu-43 All-Pro
I'm just at the transition from DSLR in to the world of mirror less. I shoot professionally, so quality does count and I'm happy to pay more for decent lenses if there are good reasons, knowing that they usually outlast bodies by some considerable margin of time.

So, if starting from scratch and assuming budget is not the major consideration for a moment (let's just assume both lenses in the pair were the same price) and assuming AF was a requirement, would you buy:

• The Olympus 12mm f2.0 or ????

• The PL15 f1.7 over the Olympus 17 f1.8 ?

• The PL25 f1.4 over the Olympus 25mm f1.8 ?

• The PL42.5 f1.2 over the Olympus 45mm f1.8 ?

• The Olympus 75m f1.8 or what else?

Again, assume each of the lenses in the appropriate pair were actually the same price...

I've read lots of reviews and many people seem to be biased to one system or the other, usually based on what they have in front of them. Maybe they are trying to justify their own purchase, but not many people seem unhappy with what ever they had.

GFFPhoto

Mu-43 All-Pro
The PL17 is actually a 15, the PL25 is a 1.4 not a 1.7, and I prefer the PL option to all the Olys in head to head comparisons, especially if price isn't a consideration.

Mellow

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Tom
Here are some quick thoughts:

I'm just at the transition from DSLR in to the world of mirror less. I shoot professionally, so quality does count and I'm happy to pay more for decent lenses if there are good reasons, knowing that they usually outlast bodies by some considerable margin of time.

So, if starting from scratch and assuming budget is not the major consideration for a moment (let's just assume both lenses in the pair were the same price) and assuming AF was a requirement, would you buy:

Panny 7-14mm might be the best competition, though it's a slower zoom. But supposedly excellent.

• The PL17 f1.7 over the Olympus 17 f1.8 ?
It's Panny 15mm, not 17mm. Closer competition might be Panny 20mm f/1.7 which is an excellent lens, albeit slow to focus. Great optics though, and a pancake to boot.

• The PL25 f1.7 over the Olympus 25mm f1.8 ?
Lots of threads about this. Biggest differences are probably speed (favors Panny) and size (favors Oly). Both pretty darn quick and sharp. Some claim Panny has special rendering but I've never been able to see it.

The Panny is better and faster, but also more expensive and quite a bit larger. The Oly's no slouch however.

Again, assume each of the lenses in the appropriate pair were actually the same price...

I've read lots of reviews and many people seem to be biased to one system or the other, usually based on what they have in front of them. Maybe they are trying to justify their own purchase, but not many people seem unhappy with what ever they had.

DaveEP

Mu-43 All-Pro
Thanks for the replies. Sorry about the typos and I appreciate the corrections.

The main reason for asking is that I've been hear before, more than once over a 30 year period. Usually, when I've taken a cheaper option just to get something at the right focal length I've ended up buying twice, once for the cheaper one and then later for the better one. I think this time round I'd rather get it right first time, with the obvious consideration that the more expensive option has to be demonstrably better and therefor actually worth the extra.

CiaranCReilly

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Ciaran Reilly
For 25mm and 42.5/45mm, I'm fairly sure that most here would agree that it will come down to size vs speed, both options being very excellent lenses in their own right in each case. You really need to see how tiny the Oly 25 and 45 are in person before deciding.

Having said that, the PL 42.5 f/1.2 is so significantly faster than the Oly 45 f/1.8 it would be hard to argue against it.

I haven't seen or held PL 15mm, but guess it's a little smaller than Oly 17mm. +1 on the Panasonic 20mm f/1.7, this will always hold a place in my kit for the combination of brightness and size, it's an absolute must-own in the m43 lineup.

DaveEP

Mu-43 All-Pro
+1 on the Panasonic 20mm f/1.7, this will always hold a place in my kit for the combination of brightness and size, it's an absolute must-own in the m43 lineup.

Thanks, I should have mentioned I already have the 7-14 and the 20/1.7 though it's too slow (focusing) for use in fluid situations, hence looking at others around it too.

CiaranCReilly

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Ciaran Reilly
It is slow to be sure. I know from experience that the Oly 17mm is much faster to AF, and I assume the PL 15mm is too. That pair are a tough choice unless you value the quick manual clutch and focus scale on the Oly 17

Sent from my iPhone using Mu-43

fredlong

Just this guy...
Real Name
Fred
Unless you need f/2 or the smaller size just stick with the 7-14

For these two pairs go look at the showcase threads and pick the ones you like the look of. They're all excellent lenses. The 17/1.7 gets a bad rap for not being sharp enough wide open, but look at the showcase threads and decide for yourself.

The PL offers noticeably shallower depth of field and maybe a little better looking bokeh and OIS (does your body have IBIS?) at a much larger size and cost. What do you need? The PL may be a little sharper but 20 degrees isn't as cold as 15 degrees; I still put on a hat and coat.

The closest competition here are the Sigma 60/2.8 and Olympus 60/2.8 macro. I've seen great images from all of them, but the 75 is really in a league go it's own.

This is a great place to get answers to all your m43 questions and with the sample archives there's literally thousands of images made with lenses you're considering. I hope you have a fast internet connection.

Fred

Ramsey

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Some of it depends on what you're trying to emulate from your DSLR and your preferred focal lengths.

Personally, i love the rendering of Oly lenses.

That said, most of others would go to Panasonic (if money is not that big of a concern and you're a pro).

If you already have the P7-14, i wouldn't go for the Oly12mm. Albeit a bit slower, it's a great lens, and covers much wider range (for which I, personally, don't need ultra fast lens). I'm not a big fan of the 24mm equivalent FOV.

The PL15 f1.7, from what i gather is a great lens but i just don't see what you get (apart from fast aperture) if you have the P7-14. Olympus 17 f1.8 has lovely rendering and a much appreciated 35mm FOV (but it is a bit closer to your P20mm).

The PL25 f1.4 is a bit softer than Olympus 25mm f1.8 until stopped down a bit. But 1.4 is 1.4 as light goes, and some people swear by that Leica feel. As Mellow said, i also don't see it.

The PL42.5 f1.2 over the Olympus 45mm f1.8? If you make money by photography, look no further than the PL42.5. Fast, great microcontract, beautiful rendering and a 85mm eqivalent (not 90mm). Oly is razor sharp, small and a really good bang for the buck. But you're probably always gonna want that sweet f1.2.

The Olympus 75m f1.8? Definitely.

val

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
William
I don't find the PL 25mm "soft". indeed the Oly 25mm f1.8 has better across the frame sharpness but the PL 25mm at F1.4 is sharp enough for me towards the centre
with the 42.5mm vs 45mm, I would definitely prefer the 42.5mm although it's not exactly a carry around lens for me. The differences are only noticeable when compared side by side which speaks volumes about the Oly especially at the price.

45mm f1.8 at F1.8

14535089990_249b603444_b.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
45mm f1.8 by William Solis, on Flickr

42.5mm F1.2 at F1.2

14721451082_69bf1fa482_b.jpg
42.5mm f1.2 by William Solis, on Flickr

I personally wish that Panasonic-Leica would make a 17.5mm F1.2-F1.4 prime. The look & bokeh I get from the Fujifilm 23mm F1.4 I simply cannot get with M43 =(

biza48

Mu-43 Regular

I have this lens for landscapes, it is nice and small, and I like the focal length. However, I may end up replacing it with the upcoming Voigtlander 10.5mm.

Choose on focal length, 15 is different enough from 17.

The first one, because it is faster.

The first one, because it is faster and better optically.

There is no other prime lens offer, so there is no what else. The 60mm lenses others have mentioned are very different focal lengths.

Well, that is kind of expected, isn't it?

Drdave944

Mu-43 All-Pro
Does the camera count? I have read allegations that the brand of lens fitted with the same brand camera has superior correction for CA and distortion due to in-camera software.This is most noticeable with the Panny 7-14,allegedly.

mattia

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Does the camera count? I have read allegations that the brand of lens fitted with the same brand camera has superior correction for CA and distortion due to in-camera software.This is most noticeable with the Panny 7-14,allegedly.

Only really an issue if you shoot JPG, and depends on your choice of RAW post-processing. I use DxO Optics, so the distortion and purple fringing is a non-issue. There is some purple flaring, however, with the 7-14 and the E-M1/E-M5 (and I assume all other 16MP Oly bodies), and I've seen some indications the GH3 at least is not totally immune, but less prone. I still love the 7-14 on my Oly, I must say, but I wish it wasn't so flarey.

Ulfric M Douglas

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Thanks, I should have mentioned I already have the 7-14 and the 20/1.7 ...
You should have listed them in your first post, sure
and with that information I think your next two puchases should be the M.Zukio75mm & 45mm,
I haven't bought the 75 for purely cost reasons.

Once you get used to your new set the other choices may be clearer ... or may not.

Dan Lopez

Mu-43 Veteran
I chose the PL15 over the oly 17 recently and I don't regret it one bit, although I'm sure that If I would have picked the 17mm I would feel the same. The only thing I regret it not being able to use the aperture ring on my Oly bodies. The focus is fast, it's sharp and contrasty which I like.

RichardB

Snapshooter
Real Name
Richard
Does the camera count? I have read allegations that the brand of lens fitted with the same brand camera has superior correction for CA and distortion due to in-camera software.

Some people have also noticed that lenses focus faster on same-make cameras. Most notably, it's hard to find a Panasonic camera user who thinks the Panny 20/1.7 focuses slowly. That's not an objective measure, though.

bacil

Mu-43 Regular
The P 42.5mm and O 45mm comparison shows that the difference (in that situation) is not that much. Wow. $300 versus $1500, it's no brainer :)

D

Deleted member 20897

Both manufacturers make great lenses and in every day use you'll not find a lot of difference between the 2 comparable focal lengths.

I just like the Olympus bodies and lenses better. That is only a personal preference.

Dan Lopez

Mu-43 Veteran
image-248111968.jpg

15mm @f1.7 EM1 JPEG sample.

pellicle

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
pellicle
/... a requirement, would you buy:

• The Olympus 12mm f2.0 or Panasonic 14mm f2.5 + GWC1 (x0.79) adapter

I'd get the Panasonic 14mm f2.5 + GWC1 (x0.79) adapter

the combo is almost same size and dimensions of the 12mm f2 and as the pupil diameter does not change (nor the effective exposure) it seems reasonable to me do declare this combo as a 11mm f1.9

cost is less as well ...

so you get to have the (14mm) pancake and eat it too ;-)

Latest threads

Top Bottom