PL over Oly?

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by DaveEP, Oct 6, 2014.

1. DaveEP

DaveEP Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 20, 2014
    York, UK
    I'm just at the transition from DSLR in to the world of mirror less. I shoot professionally, so quality does count and I'm happy to pay more for decent lenses if there are good reasons, knowing that they usually outlast bodies by some considerable margin of time.

So, if starting from scratch and assuming budget is not the major consideration for a moment (let's just assume both lenses in the pair were the same price) and assuming AF was a requirement, would you buy:

• The Olympus 12mm f2.0 or ????

• The PL15 f1.7 over the Olympus 17 f1.8 ?

• The PL25 f1.4 over the Olympus 25mm f1.8 ?

• The PL42.5 f1.2 over the Olympus 45mm f1.8 ?

• The Olympus 75m f1.8 or what else?

Again, assume each of the lenses in the appropriate pair were actually the same price...

I've read lots of reviews and many people seem to be biased to one system or the other, usually based on what they have in front of them. Maybe they are trying to justify their own purchase, but not many people seem unhappy with what ever they had.

2. GFFPhoto

GFFPhoto Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2013
    The PL17 is actually a 15, the PL25 is a 1.4 not a 1.7, and I prefer the PL option to all the Olys in head to head comparisons, especially if price isn't a consideration.

3. Mellow

Mellow Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 27, 2010
    Florida or Idaho
    Tom
    Here are some quick thoughts:

4. DaveEP

DaveEP Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 20, 2014
    York, UK
    Thanks for the replies. Sorry about the typos and I appreciate the corrections.

The main reason for asking is that I've been hear before, more than once over a 30 year period. Usually, when I've taken a cheaper option just to get something at the right focal length I've ended up buying twice, once for the cheaper one and then later for the better one. I think this time round I'd rather get it right first time, with the obvious consideration that the more expensive option has to be demonstrably better and therefor actually worth the extra.

5. CiaranCReilly

CiaranCReilly Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 18, 2012
    Dublin
    Ciaran Reilly
    For 25mm and 42.5/45mm, I'm fairly sure that most here would agree that it will come down to size vs speed, both options being very excellent lenses in their own right in each case. You really need to see how tiny the Oly 25 and 45 are in person before deciding.

Having said that, the PL 42.5 f/1.2 is so significantly faster than the Oly 45 f/1.8 it would be hard to argue against it.

I haven't seen or held PL 15mm, but guess it's a little smaller than Oly 17mm. +1 on the Panasonic 20mm f/1.7, this will always hold a place in my kit for the combination of brightness and size, it's an absolute must-own in the m43 lineup.

6. DaveEP

DaveEP Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 20, 2014
    York, UK
    Thanks, I should have mentioned I already have the 7-14 and the 20/1.7 though it's too slow (focusing) for use in fluid situations, hence looking at others around it too.

7. CiaranCReilly

CiaranCReilly Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 18, 2012
    Dublin
    Ciaran Reilly
    It is slow to be sure. I know from experience that the Oly 17mm is much faster to AF, and I assume the PL 15mm is too. That pair are a tough choice unless you value the quick manual clutch and focus scale on the Oly 17

Sent from my iPhone using Mu-43

8. fredlong

fredlong Just this guy...

Apr 18, 2011
    Massachusetts USA
    Fred
    Unless you need f/2 or the smaller size just stick with the 7-14

For these two pairs go look at the showcase threads and pick the ones you like the look of. They're all excellent lenses. The 17/1.7 gets a bad rap for not being sharp enough wide open, but look at the showcase threads and decide for yourself.

The PL offers noticeably shallower depth of field and maybe a little better looking bokeh and OIS (does your body have IBIS?) at a much larger size and cost. What do you need? The PL may be a little sharper but 20 degrees isn't as cold as 15 degrees; I still put on a hat and coat.

The closest competition here are the Sigma 60/2.8 and Olympus 60/2.8 macro. I've seen great images from all of them, but the 75 is really in a league go it's own.

This is a great place to get answers to all your m43 questions and with the sample archives there's literally thousands of images made with lenses you're considering. I hope you have a fast internet connection.

Fred

9. Ramsey

Ramsey Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 9, 2013
    Zagreb, Croatia
    Some of it depends on what you're trying to emulate from your DSLR and your preferred focal lengths.

Personally, i love the rendering of Oly lenses.

That said, most of others would go to Panasonic (if money is not that big of a concern and you're a pro).

If you already have the P7-14, i wouldn't go for the Oly12mm. Albeit a bit slower, it's a great lens, and covers much wider range (for which I, personally, don't need ultra fast lens). I'm not a big fan of the 24mm equivalent FOV.

The PL15 f1.7, from what i gather is a great lens but i just don't see what you get (apart from fast aperture) if you have the P7-14. Olympus 17 f1.8 has lovely rendering and a much appreciated 35mm FOV (but it is a bit closer to your P20mm).

The PL25 f1.4 is a bit softer than Olympus 25mm f1.8 until stopped down a bit. But 1.4 is 1.4 as light goes, and some people swear by that Leica feel. As Mellow said, i also don't see it.

The PL42.5 f1.2 over the Olympus 45mm f1.8? If you make money by photography, look no further than the PL42.5. Fast, great microcontract, beautiful rendering and a 85mm eqivalent (not 90mm). Oly is razor sharp, small and a really good bang for the buck. But you're probably always gonna want that sweet f1.2.

The Olympus 75m f1.8? Definitely.

10. val

val Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 19, 2013
    Australia
    William
    I don't find the PL 25mm "soft". indeed the Oly 25mm f1.8 has better across the frame sharpness but the PL 25mm at F1.4 is sharp enough for me towards the centre
    with the 42.5mm vs 45mm, I would definitely prefer the 42.5mm although it's not exactly a carry around lens for me. The differences are only noticeable when compared side by side which speaks volumes about the Oly especially at the price.

45mm f1.8 at F1.8

14535089990_249b603444_b. 45mm f1.8 by William Solis, on Flickr

42.5mm F1.2 at F1.2

14721451082_69bf1fa482_b. 42.5mm f1.2 by William Solis, on Flickr

I personally wish that Panasonic-Leica would make a 17.5mm F1.2-F1.4 prime. The look & bokeh I get from the Fujifilm 23mm F1.4 I simply cannot get with M43 =(

11. biza48

biza48 Mu-43 Regular

Jul 31, 2014
    Portugal
    Well, that is kind of expected, isn't it?

12. Drdave944

Drdave944 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 2, 2012
    Does the camera count? I have read allegations that the brand of lens fitted with the same brand camera has superior correction for CA and distortion due to in-camera software.This is most noticeable with the Panny 7-14,allegedly.

13. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    Only really an issue if you shoot JPG, and depends on your choice of RAW post-processing. I use DxO Optics, so the distortion and purple fringing is a non-issue. There is some purple flaring, however, with the 7-14 and the E-M1/E-M5 (and I assume all other 16MP Oly bodies), and I've seen some indications the GH3 at least is not totally immune, but less prone. I still love the 7-14 on my Oly, I must say, but I wish it wasn't so flarey.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    You should have listed them in your first post, sure
    and with that information I think your next two puchases should be the M.Zukio75mm & 45mm,
    I haven't bought the 75 for purely cost reasons.

Once you get used to your new set the other choices may be clearer ... or may not.

15. Dan Lopez

Dan Lopez Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 12, 2011
    I chose the PL15 over the oly 17 recently and I don't regret it one bit, although I'm sure that If I would have picked the 17mm I would feel the same. The only thing I regret it not being able to use the aperture ring on my Oly bodies. The focus is fast, it's sharp and contrasty which I like.

16. RichardB

RichardB Snapshooter

Nov 19, 2012
    Maryland, US
    Richard
    Some people have also noticed that lenses focus faster on same-make cameras. Most notably, it's hard to find a Panasonic camera user who thinks the Panny 20/1.7 focuses slowly. That's not an objective measure, though.

17. bacil

bacil Mu-43 Regular

Nov 24, 2012
    Minnesota
    The P 42.5mm and O 45mm comparison shows that the difference (in that situation) is not that much. Wow. $300 versus $1500, it's no brainer :)

18. gryphon1911

gryphon1911 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 13, 2014
    Central Ohio, USA
    Andrew
    Both manufacturers make great lenses and in every day use you'll not find a lot of difference between the 2 comparable focal lengths.

I just like the Olympus bodies and lenses better. That is only a personal preference.

19. Dan Lopez

Dan Lopez Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 12, 2011
    image-248111968.

15mm @f1.7 EM1 JPEG sample.

20. pellicle

pellicle Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 10, 2010
    Southport, OzTrailEYa
    pellicle
    • The Olympus 12mm f2.0 or Panasonic 14mm f2.5 + GWC1 (x0.79) adapter

I'd get the Panasonic 14mm f2.5 + GWC1 (x0.79) adapter

the combo is almost same size and dimensions of the 12mm f2 and as the pupil diameter does not change (nor the effective exposure) it seems reasonable to me do declare this combo as a 11mm f1.9

cost is less as well ...

so you get to have the (14mm) pancake and eat it too ;-)