PL lens hood: can someone explain?

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by laser8, Feb 18, 2013.

1. laser8

laser8 Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 29, 2013
    Mare nostrum, Istria
    I am no professional photographer, but have understood that lens hoods are a good thing. I can't vouch regarding picture quality, but my camera fell on the lens and if it was not for the hood, my PL25 would be in pieces now, brrrrr....

WHat I do not understand is how come the lens hood for the PL25 is at least twice the hood of the 45? One would suppose that since the 45 has a narrower field of view, the hood would also be "deeper", not the contrary!

2. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    The lens hood for the 45 could indeed be deep, but for macro, you need to get in close. A really deep hood would complicate that.

Frankly, I'm not sure the hood on the 25 needs to be as deep as it is.

3. fransglans

fransglans Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 12, 2012
    Sweden
    gus
    Maybe you could use a fine saw and make the hood a little bit shorter?
    Just a thought...

4. Conrad

Conrad Mu-43 Veteran

I also think that the 45 lens hood is short because of the working distance for macro. You can, however, use the 25 lens hood on the 45. Looks kind of cool.

5. laser8

laser8 Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 29, 2013
    Mare nostrum, Istria
    That makes sense.

I have both, so just swapping them makes more sense, and God knows what Panasonic would charge for a spare hood!

I am wondering whether putting the 25 hood on the 45 for non macro work would be an improvement? I must say that I love how the non macro pics look, I may give it a try!

6. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    When I had both lenses, I swapped hoods. I am only a rare macro user. IMO, the 25 benefited from the shorter hood, as it was a walk-around lens for me.

7. Ross the fiddler

Ross the fiddler Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Don't forget that a hood can sometimes shade the subject when using a flash & this can be more so with macro lenses with close subjects.