PL 35mm-100mm f/4.0-5.6 stabilisation problems after Ver. 1.2 lens firmware updating

Joris

Mu-43 Regular
The other day I was surprised to find a year old firmware update (Ver.1.2) for the PL 35mm-100mm f/4.0-5.6 (H-FS35100) : https://av.jpn.support.panasonic.com/support/global/cs/dsc/download/index.html. It offers <<Improved focusing stability when using the Lens Position Resume function.>>.

I bought the lens new, Ver.1.1 (Dual I.S.) installed. Never noticed any camera shake problems with it at all. Right since installing Ver.1.2, I seem to encounter stabilisation problems, on my tripod, dual IS off or on. I tried to reinstall Ver.1.2, but that seems not possible, or is it ?

Has anyone else encountered this problem with this firmware update ? Thanks for your remarks.

PS : And what might <<the Lens Position Resume function>> be ?

Last edited:

Wasabi Bob

Mu-43 All-Pro
Latest version is working fine for me. If the camera is on a tripod, it is customary you disable IS. I believe most of the new lens will do this when motion isn't detected. Just curious, what type of stabilization problem can you have, on a tripod and what camera are you using it on? To answer your question, no, you can't revert back to an older version.

Joris

Mu-43 Regular
Thank you for picking up the thread. I use this lens on a GX 80. The tripod before and after the firmware update is a Manfrotto 190b. I recently discussed the IS-on-a-tripod question here : https://www.mu-43.com/threads/leave-your-is-on.97323/page-5#post-1310956. The problem sticks up its head on windy conditions, it seems.

I think this corroborates what ScottinPollock said, namely that even with IS on, tripod shake is not corrected. Maybe it was before this lenses firmware update.
What was most interesting was my second round of testing where I introduced some vibration to the tripod with light, frequent taps to the foam covering on one of the top sections of the tripod during exposure (loosely measured at about 5Hz). The Dual IBIS did not correct for this (shots with and without the stabilization were identical). It seems clear the Dual IBIS algorithms are tuned to the kind of movement associated with hand held photography and not a resonating tripod (at least on the GX85).
I reproduced his test with the same results.

So, in order to avoid camera shake, I now seem to find myself before the paradox of choosing handheld over a tripod to avoid camera shake...

Any one can answer what this update's <<Lens Position Resume function>> might be ?!

Last edited:
Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom