PL 25mm not quiet to focus?

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by EP1-GF1, Sep 11, 2012.

1. EP1-GF1

EP1-GF1 Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 12, 2011
    Having recently received this lens (new) I'm surprised at how noisy it is to focus. I was expecting something along the lines of the O45 or the P14 or any of the kit zooms.

I've tried it on 3 cameras (2 Olympus and 1 Panasonic) and they are all the same.

Have a got a bad one?

Any input gratefully received.

P.S. I'm not talking about the infamous rattlesnake, this is definitely the focus motor.

2. ptolemyx

ptolemyx Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 19, 2012
    Vancouver, BC
    Ben
    Weird. Mine's nearly silent when focusing. The only sound it makes is the snick of the aperture blades just before the shutter releases.

• Like Like x 1
  3. brokken

brokken Mu-43 Regular

Aug 25, 2012
    I have heard that it's a chatty lens and mine fits that profile.

Edit: Sorry, I was thinking the PL 45. The 25 is quieter but still a noisy lense.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Luke
    Maybe you could shoot a video for us so we can hear it. On my E-P1 it raises an unholy racket, but that is the rattlesnaking. It is dead quiet on the E-M5 (at least I can't hear it over the IBIS purring)

• Like Like x 1
  5. jyc860923

jyc860923 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 28, 2012
    Shenyang, China
    贾一川
    I know how that feels like when the focus motor is working, but sound? not really that much.

• Like Like x 1
  6. EP1-GF1

EP1-GF1 Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 12, 2011
    Thanks for the replies all. I've tried another one and it's the same :(

Since it's not a throwaway sum to spend on a lens (for me) I think I'll return it and see what Photokina brings.

7. feiyip

feiyip New to Mu-43

Mar 12, 2012
    I have experienced a quirk with my PL25 when I try to focus on something that's too close but not close enough that it gives up then it goes into crazy in-out mode and makes a racket.

• Like Like x 1
  8. If the lens is stopped down at all, the aperture blades need to open fully during focusing and stop back down to maintain the correct exposure preview until the shutter release. That is the only real cause of noise that I get during focusing. This lens is way too special for me to sell it just because of noisy aperture blades.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Iansky

Iansky Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 26, 2009
    The Cotswolds, UK
    I do get noise when using mine on the GX1 but the quality of the reults far outweighs any frustration from noise in use and it is not distracting enough to draw attention when shooting street so for me, no problem.

• Like Like x 1