1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

PL 25mm in stock at Unique Photo

Discussion in 'Hot Deals - Find a Great Deal? Share It Here.' started by digitalandfilm, Nov 7, 2011.

1. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    So does Kenmore Camera:
    PANASONIC 25MM F1.4 LEICA M-4/3

I was about to order a 25mm from Unique Photo, but their shipping cost are expensive and their ground shipping takes eons! I'm west coast based and would rather support businesses here instead of another NJ or NY based company!

2. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    GREAT LENS! I had a reasonable experience with Unique, and the shipping was free, though I'm in Boston so it wasn't too bad to travel here. It was slower than Adorama and B&H, though.

3. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Unique is now what of our affiliates, so please use the link in my sig to visit them if buying this lens. Thanks!

4. stillshunter

stillshunter Mu-43 Regular

Sep 27, 2011
    Damn Amin if I knew this I would have bought from Unique to support the site. Ordered mine from Kenmore, via eBay, 2 days ago. Still a few more days before it hits my Aussie shores. Can't wait though :dance:

Weird, how come Unique and Kenmore have ample stocks (actually Kenmore just listed a boost in their stock of 8 more units today), while B+H and Adorama remain out of stock?

....unless this accounts for it? Hint: look at the photo vs the text :wink:

5. Art

Art Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2011
    San Francisco, CA
  6. Jonathan F/2

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    Now that shows up!

I could of used my Amazon Prime! So annoying! :mad:

7. Art

Art Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2011
    San Francisco, CA
    That's what I did and I also like Amazon's return policy. I will find out soon if this PL25 is really worth it over Panny 20

8. John M Flores

John M Flores Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 7, 2011
    Somerville, NJ
    Must. Not. Add. To. Cart.

9. Jonathan F/2

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    Just got mine. Using it on my E-PM1. It's pretty much like the 12 & 45 in terms of focusing speed. I'd say it's a tad sharper than both lenses if not the sharpest M43 lens. I prefer it over the 20 just on focusing speed alone, plus the 1.4 aperture makes a difference. The way I see it, it's a better built lens than either Nikon or Canon's 50mm 1.4, neither of which are built in Japan, nor are nano coated.

10. Art

Art Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2011
    San Francisco, CA
    Can you post a picture of PL25 mounted on E-PM1, wonder how it balances.

11. Jonathan F/2

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    I'll take a picture when I get home. I'm also experience the infamous clicking sounds, so I programmed my REC button for AE-L to lock exposure and keep it from clicking. It's very annoying to say the least.

You can also use the matching simulator to see how it will look. :wink:

http://www.four-thirds.org/en/special/matching.html

12. Art

Art Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2011
    San Francisco, CA
    That's a bummer. I haven't experienced this with other lenses. Panny 20 AF motor is noisy but it didn't bother me much. I prefer Rec button for focus lock rather.

13. Jonathan F/2

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    It's the PL 25 aperture blades that click on an Olympus body when adjusting exposure for live view. It's not a motor thing. The AF motor is silent.

14. Art

Art Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2011
    San Francisco, CA
    I know but I didn't notice that sound from Panny 20. How do you find min. focus distance which is quite a bit worse than pannh 20? Maybe harder to take pictures of food

15. Jonathan F/2

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    Here's a pic of the PL 25 on the E-PM1:

• Like Like x 1
  16. Art

Art Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2011
    San Francisco, CA
    Looks great. Should look better w/o hood

17. ntblowz

ntblowz Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 13, 2011
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Here is one without hood

DSC02129.

18. Art

Art Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2011
    San Francisco, CA
    Got mine today. Mounted on both E-PM1 and E-PL2 (balances better with E-PL2 with the grip). AF is slower than 14mm (at least in low light). The difference on E-PM1 is quite obvious. It's definately heavier and bigger than I'd like. Only marginal difference in shallow DoF compared to Panny 20, maybe even unnoticeable in most shots unless very close up. Remounted Oly 45mm, MUCH shallower DoF (that makes sense) - dramatic difference even at f2.8. Haven't noticed any aperture blade sound yet. This lens will be great for video: MF is very convinient ergonomically (awkward on pancakes) and also very smooth. E-PL2's IBIS works very nice with this lens. 1/10s tack sharp is totally doable. E-PM1 is a different story, lol. On E-PL2 I didn't notice any AF improvement compared to Panny 20. Will be shooting with this lens over the weekend (especially interested in contrast, colors, sharpness, etc. all wide open) and will try to see if the size and weight penalty really worth it over Panny 20. I'm not so much concerned with the price as Panasonic EPP is running a very sweet deal. The question is if both Panny 20 and 25 are the same price, which would you choose? E-PM1 w/PL25 does feel heavy. But it does suit my kit better focally: 14/25/45 I am zoom free from now on

19. Jonathan F/2

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    I came to the same conclusion, better subject separation with the 45 versus the 25 regardless of faster aperture. The PL 25 focuses quicker than the 20 in my opinion. The main reason I got the 25 though is for the 1.4 aperture. I actually like how the 25 feels on the E-PM1.