1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

PL 25mm F1.4 - Focus mechanism noise?

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by jefft, Jan 31, 2014.

1. jefft

jefft Mu-43 Regular

Aug 21, 2012
    Quick question for 25mm owners; how audible is the movement of the focusing mechanism in your copy of your lens?

I just got my new copy and noticed that the focus mechanism is more audible than other lenses I've used (14, 20, 45, 60 macro which are virtually silent, relatively speaking) and wondering if that's normal or not? Focus accuracy and speed seem to be quite good though.

2. monowav

monowav Mu-43 Regular

Nov 2, 2013
    Los Angeles
    Jake
    Mine's very loud too. I would love to hear from some others if they have this problem too.

3. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

It is a louder lens overall. Both the AF and aperture blades in stills mode are louder than the O12-50, O45, and O40-150R that I also have. Curiously, it's a lot quieter in movie mode, not sure what the difference is.

4. seonsalaisuus

seonsalaisuus Mu-43 Regular

Nov 19, 2013
    In low light, when focusing something in very close distance it is kinda noisy. In olympus e-pm2 body. Otherwise, I don't notice anything.

5. rameshsa

rameshsa Mu-43 Rookie

May 18, 2012
    On my EM 1 I get a rattling noise while using the PL 25

6. Art

Art Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2011
    San Francisco, CA
    You need to set "flicker reduction" off in Oly menu to stop rattling.

7. Ricoh

Ricoh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 2, 2013
    UK
    Steve
    I've used my PL25 on both my EM5 and E-P5 - not a whisper. And that's in low light too.

8. Jay86

Jay86 Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 26, 2012
    I owned the PL 25mm for a few months on my previous GH3 and I have to say it was a bit louder then some of the other M43 lenses I have owned as well. I also experienced the dreaded rattle snaking a couple times. Aside from that its still possibly one of the best lenses I have ever used on any system, ever.

9. LowTEC

LowTEC Mu-43 Regular

I found it slightly louder than all my other lenses, 14, 1442ii, 45 1.8, 75, 100300, 714. It rattles once a while too but not excessively

10. geoawelch

geoawelch Mu-43 Regular

Nov 18, 2011
    NH
    Mine is quiet

11. biomed

biomed Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 22, 2013
    Seattle area
    Mike
    When used on my GH3 or GX7 in Silent Mode, I can hear the aperture working when I take a photo. Not very loud - just a soft whirring sound.

12. Peter75

Peter75 Mu-43 Rookie

Jan 19, 2014
    Mine is loud, but mostly due to the aperature blades I guess. When it annoys me I put the camera off or leave it on and put the lens cap on in between shots.

13. jrsilva

jrsilva Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 1, 2012
    Portugal
    Jaime
    Mine is loud. But don't worry, that lens is just like that.
    I've read an explanation somewere on the internet about the reason of that noise

14. Pasukun

Pasukun Mu-43 Regular

Aug 2, 2011
    I think you guys are talking about the "rattlesnake" sound coming from the aperture blade activation.
    Olympus bodies does this more than the Panasonic bodies, as Olympus cameras tries to stop down to reduce the amount of light hitting the sensor, when scene gets too bright.
    Here is the video of the example.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QnVuYfVYUsU

15. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

The aperture blades will often open and close during focusing, if you've ever looked into the lens while randomly focusing before. Hence the loud aperture blades contribute to the noise.

16. jefft

jefft Mu-43 Regular

Aug 21, 2012
    Actually, I am talking about the internal movement of the focusing movement, not the aperture blades.

While not excessive, I'm just surprised how much louder it was (relatively speaking, of course) compared to the 14, 20, 45, and 60mm lenses.

17. b_rubenstein

b_rubenstein Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 20, 2012
    Melbourne, FL
    In almost 2 years of use, I've never noticed AF mechanism noise from the lens. I must have around a dozen ยต4/3 lenses and the only one that has a noticeable sound when focusing is the 20/1.7.

18. Pasukun

Pasukun Mu-43 Regular

Aug 2, 2011
    I had my 25mm f/1.4 for few years now, and I have never noticed anything coming from it.
    However, now that I have paid close attention.., I do hear it.
    Matter of the fact.. it's the sound that I am very acquainted with.. coming from Pana 25mm. I just never consciously recognized it before.
    Now I can not stop hearing it.. dang!

Ignorance is bliss indeed. >.<

It still isn't bad thought, and I actually enjoy it.

19. val

val Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 19, 2013
    Australia
    William
    mine is too =/

20. jefft

jefft Mu-43 Regular

Aug 21, 2012
    I tested out a copy at the local camera store (London Drugs) and it appeared to make the same mechanical noise as mine so I'm going to assume that's normal for the design at this point.

Thanks all for your input.