PL 25mm 1.4 or a new Pen?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by RickVaughn, Nov 3, 2012.

1. RickVaughn

RickVaughn Mu-43 Regular

Aug 8, 2012
    I'm returning my recently purchased Ricoh GRD IV and am considering the PL 25mm or one of the new Pens. I currently have an EPL1 w/Oly 45mm and Oly 40-150mm. Your thoughts on which to choose?

Thanks

2. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2010
    Near Philadephila
    Since the EPL1 was my least favorite of the several m43 bodies I've used, I'd have to recommend going for one of the new bodies. The sensors are better (in the epm2 and epl5), the controls are way better (that's what I hated about the epl1), everything is faster, from focus to write speeds to burst shooting, etc. OTOH, if you're really happy with the epl1, go for the lens.

-Ray

3. RickVaughn

RickVaughn Mu-43 Regular

Aug 8, 2012
    I haven't had any problems with the EPL1. I would like more range as I have just the 45mm and the zoom, but the new sensor and quicker focus would be great too. Decisions, decisions :confused:

4. Steven

Steven Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2012
    USA
    If you're happy with EPL1 right now, then you can save a bit of money by not buying one of the new models until a few months later. A lens on the other hand will cost the same then and now :smile:

5. littleMT

littleMT Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 8, 2012
    Lucille Sanchez
    I have never found focus speed to be a issue with the e-pl1, yet I read this over and over.

I have had a lot of cameras, and recently sold off my Canon T4i, as I am offically divorced from Canon, but anyhow, the e-pl1 focus speed IMO isn't that much worse then anything I have shot with, it's not like its a night and day difference, though it is slower.

but enough defending of the ancient e-pl1, which I believe can deliver files
    that still rival anything from a micro 4/3rds sensor, including the OMD.

Get a 14mm prime, its cheap, sharp and colorful and a joy to use, and it'll also slow focus on the dreaded e-pl1! slow down, and enjoy life, and get that shot!

6. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Get the Leica Summilux. The E-PL1 is also my least favorite Olympus body ever, but there is nothing a new body can do which would compare to what a fast, high-quality 25mm lens would open up for you. You currently don't have any lenses wider than 40mm, and only have one fast, sharp prime. You'll be able to do a lot more by adding the lux to your collection with the same body. You shouldn't think too much about body upgrades until you have a decent collection of lenses which fill all reasonable needs you would expect to encounter (ie, ultra-wide, wide, standard, mid-tele, super-tele, macro, fast primes, fast zooms... we all have different needs).

• Like Like x 1
  7. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    Having seen so many fine photos that you have taken with that combo your point is very hard to argue with! :thumbup:

8. RickVaughn

RickVaughn Mu-43 Regular

Aug 8, 2012
    Thanks everyone...

I appreciate the input. I just sent off the GRD IV and will be exchanging it for the PL 25. In a few weeks I hope to have some shots to add to the image thread.

9. RickVaughn

RickVaughn Mu-43 Regular

Aug 8, 2012
    Hi littleMT,

If I can ever find someone to buy my G12, I'll be placing my order for the 14mm. After all of this camera business, I'll have to find some extra cash to pimp out my trusty Hemi.

10. spatulaboy

spatulaboy I'm not really here

Jul 13, 2011
    North Carolina
    Vin
    Get the PL25. Camera bodies will drop in price faster than lenses ever will.

11. Lawrence A.

Lawrence A. Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 14, 2012
    New Mexico
    Larry
    A good choice, I think; it's a remarkable lens. When you're ready for a wider prime, follow LittleMT's advice and get the 14. It doesn't cost much and would give you a good wide angle capability.

If you love the PL25 only half as much as I do you'll still be very fond of it.