PL 25mm 1.4....developed stiff focus ring?

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by Arvin, Oct 17, 2012.

1. Arvin

Arvin Mu-43 Regular

Jan 18, 2012
    Has anyone had this happen to their PL 25? It no longer feels fluid but with a bit of friction. This is disappointing.

2. Arvin

Arvin Mu-43 Regular

Jan 18, 2012
    99 views, 0 replies. I guess I'm the only instance of this problem.

I will keep you posted if anything else changes.

3. jloden

jloden Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 15, 2012
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    Jay
    Yeah, sorry... haven't had it happen to mine and I wouldn't know what to suggest other than contacting Panasonic for service. Maybe it got some dust or sand in to focus ring mechanism at some point? Does it happen when the lens is off camera also? Does AF seem in any way impaired?

With it being focus by wire I think it's most likely just an issue with the ring and not the focusing mechanism itself. My first assumption would be something gritty got in there and is rubbing between ring and barrel but I'm not sure offhand if you could easily take it apart to check/clean it yourself or not.

4. strang

strang Mu-43 Veteran

May 7, 2012
    Any damages to it? Mine is still smooth.

5. HappyFish

HappyFish Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 8, 2012
    Chad
    Still smooth
    about 2000 images through mine

6. Arvin

Arvin Mu-43 Regular

Jan 18, 2012
    Oddly enough ,it seems a little more fluid today. I wonder if this has anything to do with very cold climates as it has warmed up a little today.

7. jloden

jloden Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 15, 2012
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    Jay
    If it's cold enough, it could be shrinking the rubber focus ring and making it bind up a bit. I've not had mine out in cold enough temps for that, guess I'll probably know better if that's an issue after this winter camping season with the PL 25mm.

8. strang

strang Mu-43 Veteran

May 7, 2012
    I will find out about the cold effects soon enough with the Canadian winter right around the corner. Will update here if I notice it happening.

9. s2kinfinite

s2kinfinite Mu-43 Regular

Apr 14, 2012
    Sorry...just checked, mines smooth.