1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

PL 25 mark II ?

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by yorik, Aug 29, 2014.

1. yorik

yorik Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 23, 2013
    Scotts Valley, CA
    Yonatan
    I just finished a 10 day rental of the PL 25 and I was very happy with optical qualities of the lens. On the other hand I had just rented
    the PL 15 before that, and the build quality of the PL 25 was a little disappointing after using the PL 15.

Does anyone here think that there is a chance Panasonic will update the PL 25 to match the build of the PL 15 (and PL 42.5)? If such
    a lens was closer to the 15 in price than the 42.5, I would buy one in a heartbeat.

2. broody

broody Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 8, 2013
    Oh dear, I pray that they listen to you. I think the redesigned 20mm pancake is just fantastic but this is the lens I want to see with a metal body... Likewise I'm having my fingers crossed to see Olympus release a metal version of their so-called 'lower end' primes someday.

• Like Like x 1
  3. EarthQuake

EarthQuake Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 30, 2013
    Funny, but I feel like the build of the 25/1.4 is great. Actually, I would have preferred my 42.5/1.2 to have the same build as the 25/1.4 to shave some of the weight.

4. orfeo

orfeo Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 27, 2013
    FR
    I too am waiting for a new 25mm from lumix. I don't believe it's impossible they upgrade the speed too for a f1.0, let us dream!

5. stripedrex

stripedrex Do or do not. There is no try.

Jun 8, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Alex
    As I continue to learn more photography I'm more and more leaning towards full frame for the style I like to shoot. If they do more large lens wide aperture primes like the 42.5 f1.2 I'd be less likely to drift. I wish the nokton lenses had autofocus, those are the best at giving us that full frame look. So I'm with you, faster 25mm please =). So we can isolate our subjects more even when we stand back and get full body shots in tighter spaces.

6. yorik

yorik Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 23, 2013
    Scotts Valley, CA
    Yonatan
    Another thing I noticed on the pl25 was that the focus ring seemed quite loose. Is that normal for this lens, or possibly due to it being a (much used) rental?

7. gravijaflare

gravijaflare Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 28, 2014
    A planet called Gaia
    yeah, i also think panasonic should update the 25mm, to make it the same build as the 15mm and 42.5.. or if they can, make it f1.2 and weather-sealed. ;)

8. Do you mean loose as in it isn't seated very solidly, or loose as in very easy to turn? If it's the latter, from the day I bought 25mm 1.4 (new) I had to switch my m4/3 cameras from SAF+MF to SAF only because the slightest touch would move the focus ring and cause the cameras to switch to magnified view (which is how I prefer my MF mode to function).

• Like Like x 1
  9. yorik

yorik Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 23, 2013
    Scotts Valley, CA
    Yonatan
    The latter... Thanks.

10. Steven

Steven Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2012
    USA
    The lens I have also has a focus ring that moves a little too easily.
    I haven't heard of plans for new version of this lens. I don't think it's very likely to happen. The only lens I can think of that was reissued like that is the 20mm/1.7 . I don't know if any extra outside metal parts were added to it.

11. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    I think that would be the great M43 equalizer versus FF is to build ultra fast primes. The only problem with that would probably be design related and what the market can handle cost-wise.

12. LowTEC

LowTEC Mu-43 Regular

I would buy a new 25mm if only has a f1.2 or larger aperture, and I much prefer Oly 25 plastic body, the quality and fitment is close to perfect body (unlike Canon 50 1.8 crap plastic) and the plastic body wouldn't scratched up or dinged so easily like my 1235. I would pay equal amount to have a plastic body over a metal body on the weight saving alone. BTW, stop stamping the worthless red dot logo on it, as I don't want to pay additional $600 bucks for a red dot, thank you

13. bigboysdad

bigboysdad Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 25, 2013
    Sydney/ London
    Yes, just imagine the 17/1.8 but built like the 12, how good would that be? (Sorry to go off topic, back to the thread we go).

14. broody

broody Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 8, 2013
    I'd definitely buy that lens and become a regular contributor to its thread in this forum if that were to happen! ;)

15. EarthQuake

EarthQuake Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 30, 2013
    I'm not sure what materials the 25mm uses, but if they are the same as the 45mm, it will get scratched and dinged up very easily. The 45mm has cheap and soft plastics that show more wear than any of the other M43rds lenses I've owned (about a dozen in total).

16. Atom Ant

Atom Ant Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 24, 2012
    Melbourne, OZ
    Adam
    :thiagree: Wot he said. It has always been very light, too light for my liking.