PL 25/1.4 Lens Failure

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by Dogman, Jan 9, 2014.

1. Dogman

Dogman Mu-43 Regular

Dec 23, 2012
    Maryland
    Just over a month ago, I bought a used PL 25mm 1.4 lens. I didn't get much time to experiment with it until last week. Then, for no apparent reason, the lens's aperture stopped functioning. It would always shoot wide open. I tried other lenses and they worked fine. I didn't drop the lens or mishandle it in any way.

Because these lenses retain their value very well, it wasn't cheap. But, now with repair costs, I'll be paying more than a new lens. And, yes, I discovered that the warranty on a used lens is 30 days. Kinda makes you think twice about buying used.

Anyways, I was just wondering if anyone else had a similar problem. I hadn't read about any mechanical/electrical problems with the Pan/Leica lenses.

2. Replytoken

Replytoken Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    Sorry to hear about your problem. What exactly was wrong?

--Ken

3. Dogman

Dogman Mu-43 Regular

Dec 23, 2012
    Maryland
    The lens doesn't stop down. For example, when shooting in aperture priority mode, the exposure wide open would be fine. But, at smaller apertures, the images would get increasingly overexposed. I don't know if the problem is mechanical (e.g., a stuck lens blade) or electrical (e.g., wire came loose). The contacts on the lens mount are clean. I sent it in for repair and will soon find out what the exact problem is and how much it will cost.

4. Replytoken

Replytoken Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    Hopefully the repair will bring you a lens that performs as good as, or better than, new.

Good luck,

--Ken