1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

PL 15mm "summilux" and Smmicron 35 f2 ASPH

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by jimmyzou, Jun 1, 2015.

1. jimmyzou

jimmyzou Mu-43 Regular

Nov 11, 2011
    Canada
    I always think this Panasonic Leica 15mm looks a lot more like Cron 35/2A, especially the aperture ring. They look like bros together. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1433166553.938230.
    Real Smmilux is not that pretty.

• Like Like x 1
  2. tyrphoto

tyrphoto Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2014
    Seoul | NYC
    ㅇtㅈyㅅr
    The only thing "annoying" is that they should have made the lens an f1.4 in order to properly call it a Summilux or if pricing was important, f2 and called it a Summicron. Petty yes, but if they're going to even bother giving it the Summilux name, they should stick to the naming conventions. Also, should have gone full hog wild and put the distance scale as well. Nice lens though.

• Like Like x 1
  3. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I guess that depends on whether Summilux means "exactly f1.4" or "faster than a Summicron"

4. sootyvrs

sootyvrs Mu-43 Regular

Mar 6, 2015
    David
    Yes there is a resemblance hence maximising the "Leica" collaberation between the 2 companies...

Here the 42.5 Nocticron next to 50 Summilux (Funny seeing M43 lens huge next to a FF lens)
    16899196293_8d981400da_o.

17517755952_55754fefd6_o.

• Like Like x 1
  5. tkbslc

Makes me wish they'd just made the Nocticron a 50mm f1.4 Summilux. I don't know if it is the f1.2, the OIS or the AF, but there's a lot of extra space in that 42.5mm given that the actual aperture and elements are the same sizes.

6. tyrphoto

tyrphoto Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2014
    Seoul | NYC
    ㅇtㅈyㅅr
    In the case of Leica lenses, it signifies a lens that has a maximum aperture of f1.4. The name is a combination of the words "summit" meaning the peak and "lux" meaning light. In Leica-talk, each name signifies a lens with a certain maximum aperture. Noctilux, Summilux, Summicron, Summarit, Elmarit, Elmar/Super Elmar and Hektor.

Some Panasonic lenses deviate from these naming guidelines, namely the PL15/1.7 "Summilux" and the PL42.5/1.2 "Nocticron". Not sure why Panasonic didn't go with the name "Noctilux" on the 42.5/1.2? Maybe a contractual/legal issue? Anyways, no biggie, which is why I put the quotes around the word "annoying". The bottomline though, is both the 42.5/1.2 and 15/1.7 are great lenses.

7. Turbofrog

Turbofrog Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 21, 2014
    Nocticron makes sense, since it's f1.2, whereas the Noctilux lenses are f0.95, no? It maintains the existing word relationships nicely.

8. Turbofrog

Turbofrog Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 21, 2014
    I'm sure AF and overall optical sophistication has a lot to do with it. After all, the Sigma 50mm/1.4 ART lenses are 86mm diameter by 100mm long and weigh 815 g!

For comparison, the 50/1.4 Summilux has 8 elements in 5 groups. The Sigma 50/1.4 has 13 elements in 8 groups. And the Nocticron has 14 elements in 11 groups...

The Leica shares more in common with my 70s Super Takumar 50mm/1.4 (which weighs 250g) than any modern lens...

Last edited: Jun 1, 2015
  9. jimmyzou

jimmyzou Mu-43 Regular

Nov 11, 2011
    Canada
    Yeah, if they put that scale or even do it like Olympus 12/2, with the already had aperture ring, that's gonna be a lot fun.
    As far as the naming, it does not bother me much. As long as it's nicely constructed and designed, and not huge. I prefer the summicrons over summiluxes, mainly because of the size.

• Like Like x 1
  10. tyrphoto

tyrphoto Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2014
    Seoul | NYC
    ㅇtㅈyㅅr
    In the Leica world, Noctilux refers to lenses that are f0.95, f1.0 and f1.2, so the P42.5/1.2 should have technically been called a Noctilux. Panasonic decided to combine Noctilux and Summicron and come up with Nocticron. Noctilux is made up of the words "nocturnal" meaning night and "lux" meaning light while Summicron is made of the words "summit" meaning peak and "cron" meaning lenses that uses Crown glass.

11. ean10775

ean10775 Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 31, 2011
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Eric
    Doesn't a working distance scale require a focusing ring with hard stops though?

12. jimmyzou

jimmyzou Mu-43 Regular

Nov 11, 2011
    Canada
    Olympus has done that with wired focus ring with scale, on 12mm f2 and 17mm f1.8 lens.
    Not sure how well it works on the 17mm but with the 12mm it works pretty nicely. It has a stop at infinity.

13. Ricoh

Ricoh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 2, 2013
    UK
    Steve
    Naming convention aside, I wish for a M4/3 lens that has both an aperture control ring and a proper depth of field scale (which demands hard end stops of course). I'm currently using the P15 on the GM5 mainly due to the aperture control, but miss the manual focusing features of the olympus 12 and 17mm. Combining the aperture control and manual focus features in a 35mm FF equivalent focal lens would be perfect for me.
    In a sense I sometimes think electronic cameras with their auto focus lenses have spelt the death of control for photographers. I understand there's the option of using fully manual lenses with a suitable adaptor (I have such a set up: Ol 50 f1.8) but the aperture setting is open loop to the camera.
    What's the solution?

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. jimmyzou

jimmyzou Mu-43 Regular

Nov 11, 2011
    Canada
    These are best available regards to what you ask for, I think they will eventually make the "perfect" lens.
    But Olympus 12mm and 17mm is already very handy in terms of the manual focus ring, aperture ring is secondary compare to that. Hope they make the perfect killer lens with both soon.

15. broadway

broadway Mu-43 Regular

Mar 27, 2011
    UK
    Since Nocticron and Summilux are registered trademarks of Leica I find it difficult to believe that Leica does have the final say in the names that Panasonic assign to the lens under the licensing agreement. Maybe you should take it up with Leica?

16. tkbslc

I guess the whole f1.4 thing is called into question now that Leica branded their 28mm f1.7 lens on the Q as a Summilux. I guess we just have to go with Summilux = "faster than Summicron and slower than Noctilux."