1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

PL 15mm purple flare. Do I have a bad copy?

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by GFFPhoto, Nov 14, 2015.

1. GFFPhoto

GFFPhoto Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2013
    Hey guys. I just got the PL 15mm from B&H and I noticed some dramatic purple flare and I think my copy might be bad. Shooting on a GX7, had the hood on. Has anybody seen this before?
    untitled-3.
    I took a few more test shots. I wasn't able to replicate that, but there was a lot of flare and CA. Is this normal with this lens? I'm wondering if it needs to go back. untitled-98.
    untitled-108.
    untitled-93.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2015
    • Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  2. rmcnelly

rmcnelly Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 21, 2015
    Portsmouth, VA
    It's normal for this lens. Use a cap or your hand to shield it when shooting towards the sun.

3. GFFPhoto

GFFPhoto Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2013
    Thanks Rick. Thats comforting. Even that first pic is normal? It seems extreme.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I've had noticeable purple flaring on my Olympus body, but I'm surprised it's also that prominent on a Panasonic body. Never that bad though. I don't use a hood but I tend to shield using my hand if I notice flare.

5. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I don't think I've noticed it anywhere near that bad. Did you have a filter on lens?

6. GFFPhoto

GFFPhoto Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2013
    When you guys say you haven't seen it that bad, I guessing you are talking about the first picture only. Are the other 3 typical, or are they all more green and purple than normal. And no filter, just GX7 lens and hood. I am at 7000 ft though. I don't know if the sun passing through the thinner atmosphere at altitude effects lens flare. I'll keep shooting and hopefully get more feedback. If most say its more than normal I'll exchange it.

7. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Last one is very typical, middle ones are rare. First I've never seen. Altitude will play a part, there's more UV causing purple flare.

8. rmcnelly

rmcnelly Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 21, 2015
    Portsmouth, VA
    I've had a couple of shots like the first one. In one particular set of pics of the same subject, one was this bad, and 4 of the remaining 5 shots it was still intrusive enough to ruin the shot. Other times, it can be used intentionally for more drama.

9. tkbslc

I only have a few shots with the sun in the frame and they have no purple flare at all.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Pecos

Pecos Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 20, 2013
    The Natural State
    The sun does not appear to be in the frame in the first shot, which has the most purple flaring.
    I wonder if the aperture used has anything to do with it .

11. GFFPhoto

GFFPhoto Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2013
    Doubt it. That was f5.6 taken at 1:46 in the afternoon. I think I have a bad copy.

12. tkbslc

Here's the only 3 I have that are shot into the sun with the 15mm f1.7 on a GX7. Two are at f1.7, one at f4.

P1140572. P1160057_1. P1160059_1.

• Like Like x 1
  13. GFFPhoto

GFFPhoto Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2013
    I have a bad copy. That first pic is shot early afternoon, no sun in the frame. I'll call B&H tomorrow or Monday. And even when there is no purple, almost every shot into the sun has the green reflection in the opposite end of the frame.

• Winner Winner x 1
  14. tkbslc

I'm at 5000 feet, so your altitude theory is probably not relevant, either. I've never seen that green blob flare or major purple streaks.

I'd be exchanging it if it were mine, too.

15. eteless

eteless Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 20, 2014
    Reminds me a bit of what can happen if you use rainx on a lens.

The green blob is a pretty normal lens flare though.

16. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    Crickey, that first shot is pretty severe. It's that representative of the lens, I'm glad I didn't swap my Oly 17 for it!

17. GFFPhoto

GFFPhoto Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2013
    I hate to be the one that tells you Rick, but I think we both have a bad copy. If you find way to use that purple flare creatively, more power to you, but mines going back :thumbup:

• Like Like x 1
  18. zensu

zensu An Old Fool

Aug 8, 2012
    Southeastern USA
    Bobby
    Been shooting with the P/L 15mm on my E-P5 and E-M1 for almost a year and have never seen that kind of flare! Maybe I got an outstanding copy?
    Bobby :coffee-30:
    PS, This little marvel is a great lens for IR photography!
    PSS, always leave the hood on.