PL 15mm f1.7 - IR Hotspot Performance?

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by tradesmith45, Mar 24, 2016.

1. tradesmith45

tradesmith45 Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 13, 2012
    Oregon
    Have searched the usual places but have come up empty. Does anyone know if this great lens has hotspots when shooting infrared w/ say a 720nm filter?

Thanks,

2. lomomentum

lomomentum Mu-43 Regular

I will check and report back.

3. tradesmith45

Dec 13, 2012
    Oregon
    Thanks much!

4. zensu

zensu An Old Fool

Aug 8, 2012
    Southeastern USA
    Bobby
    I can't answer your question about hot spots using a 720nm filter. I however did have my Olympus EP5 converted to full color infrared and my favorite lens to shoot with on that IR converted (Life Pixel) camera is the Panasonic/Leica 15mm F1.7, all of my IR images are immaculate with this lens!
    Here's one I used the EP5s' B&W mode with the 15mm:
    P8130026ir.
    I find shooting with so many colors and hues that both of these settings (color + hue) equals infinite shades of grey. I can tweak the IR colors for an interesting palette of colors but I've always prefered B&W IR for some reason.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2016
  5. tradesmith45

Dec 13, 2012
    Oregon
    Thanks much zensu for helping another old fool!

• Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  6. lomomentum

lomomentum Mu-43 Regular

The following are all the same shot taken on a full spectrum converted G7 with PL15 @ f/5.6 and 200 ISO and a B+W 091 filter (650nm) attached.

This one straight out of camera....

image.

This one channel mixed in Photoshop....

image.

And this one is the channel mixed one edited in Silver Efex Pro2....

image.

In my opinion this lens is good for IR with no hotspotting evident. I'll post another with the 092 filter later. That's closer to the 720nm range that you wanted.

Hope it all helps so far.

• Like Like x 1
  7. lomomentum

lomomentum Mu-43 Regular

image.

And this one is with the B+W 092 filter on the PL15 which at 695nm is near enough as dammit to the 720 'standard' IR filter. ISO 200. F/5.6. 1/800 sec. One click channel mix using Khromagery action in Photoshop.

8. tradesmith45

Dec 13, 2012
    Oregon
    Thanks much lomomentum! This is very helpful. Nice material for test shots too.

Been loving my full spectrum EM5. Been thinking of getting the PL 15mm for astro panos & want to also use it for IR. The PL 15 has much lower astigmatism at the edges wide open than the Oly 17 so expect it will perform better but the 15 has worse CA than the 17 so not sure how it will do w/ the full spectrum camera. Its much harder on lenses than a plain visible or IR only camera.

• Like Like x 1
  9. RenaudVL

RenaudVL Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 21, 2011