PL 100-400 on a om1-mkii body distance issues

blackfox wildlife

Mu-43 Regular
I have the above combo omd1-mkii and a PL 100-400 lens . It’s a great match but there is one minor problem , and I’ll use hypothetical figures it’s pin sharp on b.i.f up to say 100 yards any further and images are soft this is the same whether it’s single or multi point focus and whatever shutter speed is used, aperture doesn’t affect it either ..

I now have another user contacting me who has the same problem ,it’s like there’s a maximum distance to infinity and it wont go past it ,checked firmware camera and lens up to date ...thinking of tryin* a micro adjust but don’t want to mess up the close focus ability .. any ideas

btw it’s far better on my mk1 body

wjiang

Mu-43 Legend
Last edited:

blackfox wildlife

Mu-43 Regular
no thats a hypothetical figure wjiang I'm not sure what the actual distance is , and using the mk1 it was on static birds

wjiang

Mu-43 Legend
no thats a hypothetical figure wjiang I'm not sure what the actual distance is , and using the mk1 it was on static birds
We can probably make rough estimates and comparisons based on the size of your birds (based on species) versus how much of the frame they end up filling.

Static birds using S-AF are a totally different story compared to BIF using C-AF. The first is way more accurate and a lot easier for the camera. The E-M1 Mk2 is much better at C-AF for BIF but the hit rate is not necessarily that high, depending on the type of flier that you're dealing with. Have you tried shooting static subjects at range with S-AF and comparing that to shooting the same static subject at range with C-AF?

Mack

Mu-43 All-Pro
What happens if you use the lens in full manual focus only?

If it cannot hit infinity focus doing it in manual, the auto-focus will not spin off to there either.

I have the manual only Laowa 7.5mm wide angle and it spins past infinity and distance marks do not line up on it. Some on dpreview claimed theirs never hit infinity so they shimmed the rear element back a bit so it would. Laowa QC seems iffy, imho. First one I sent back to B&H for replacement, and second was no better.

Phocal

Mu-43 Legend
First...……………...

The focus distance for a photograph is included in the EXIF and I have found it to be pretty accurate. So you can get the actual focus distance for any photo you have taken out of the EXIF.

I also want to mention that I have found most people are terrible at judging distance and typically judge it far shorter than the actual distance.

Second...………………...

Any focus error with m4/3 is in the lens and camera focus error is only in DSLR's (which I want to mention for completeness DSLR's can and often do suffer from both) because it is the result of the two sensors (image and focus) not being perfectly parallel. I bring this up because camera focus error is the same regardless of focus distance and lens focus error will vary by focus distance. This is why in this thread I say to do your micro focus adjustment at the distance you typically shoot from.

So it is very possible if you adjust the lens for a close distance it will be off at a farther distance. There is a way around this though. You can save multiple micro adjustments for the same lens and actually switch between them, pain in the ass but possible (well this is with the original EM1, don't own a mk2 so can't speak to it). If you are shooting BiF from a distance just force the camera to use the adjustment for long distance and when shooting other stuff switch it to the other.

Third...………….

Comparing the results from an EM1 using CDAF and a mk2 using PDAF is like comparing apples to cuts of steak. Tells you absolutely nothing about what is going on with the lens.

Fourth..................

Sample images with full EXIF plus all camera settings used really helps with figuring out what is going on. Your initial post provides nothing to help you figure out what is going on other than making rough guesses as to what is going on.

Fifth.......................

Based on the number of post you have started with problems I am starting to guess a lot of it could be user error or you have really bad luck with gear.

my 2 copper pieces,

Phocal

Last edited:

ac12

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I have the above combo omd1-mkii and a PL 100-400 lens . It’s a great match but there is one minor problem , and I’ll use hypothetical figures it’s pin sharp on b.i.f up to say 100 yards any further and images are soft this is the same whether it’s single or multi point focus and whatever shutter speed is used, aperture doesn’t affect it either ..

I now have another user contacting me who has the same problem ,it’s like there’s a maximum distance to infinity and it wont go past it ,checked firmware camera and lens up to date ...thinking of tryin* a micro adjust but don’t want to mess up the close focus ability .. any ideas

btw it’s far better on my mk1 body
I agree with several of the above comments.
100 yards is pretty FAR for shooting a bird. Heck it is FAR for shooting a human subject.
I have a football field at the local high school where I rarely shoot the soccer goalie from the other side of the field, because of the amount of crop that I will need.
And the farther the distance, the more atmospherics affects the image.
I also have trouble hand holding the camera with a 300 at that distance. I HAVE to brace.

Next you need to eliminate variables and test.
Eliminate you and the subject as a variable. Put the kit on a tripod or other SOLID mount and do a test on S-AF on a static subject at the SAME focal length 100mm, set shutter to 1/2000 sec.
Do this at a static subject at 50yards, then do it again at 100yards, then again at 200yards.

Then do it again at different FL (200, 400).
Now you have a test set at 100, 200 and 400mm at 50, 100 and 200 yards.

This will tell you if the zoom is soft at the longer distance or longer FL that you are using at the longer distances.
I recall reading that the 100-400 was softer at 400.

Phocal

Mu-43 Legend
This will tell you if the zoom is soft at the longer distance or longer FL that you are using at the longer distances.
I recall reading that the 100-400 was softer at 400.
The 100-400, like any zoom ever made is softer at the long end. A look at any testing site will show this. As for distance, it's not that a lens is softer at distance. The farther the distance the less pixels you have on a subject to resolve detail.

Phocal

Mu-43 Legend
And a bird at 100+ yards is pretty small.
A condor at 100+ yards is small.
A fox at 100 yards is rather small as well. Ok, it's more like 95 yards.

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
Gorgeous 001 by Phocal Art, on Flickr

I actually feel that the photo above was taken from way to far away. I initially took it because this was my first time photographing her. I edited it and posted it because it helped tell the story of my day in the post I wrote up. But as far as detail captured this is way behind my acceptance level. The image is actually a good example of how distance combined with environmental conditions can kill the detail in the image. Also didn't help that it's at a higher ISO.

blackfox wildlife

Mu-43 Regular
Points taken onboard ,it’s not so much the softness at distance that’s bothering me it’s the fact that it suddenly goes from ultra sharp to o.o.f or soft at a certain distance . I can live with it and in reality perhaps shouldn’t have taken those shots ,but we all get carried away when we see our target for the day . I will also re.visit my EXIF data to try to find distance to target figures ,never yet spotted them on the mkii EXIF .. I suppose in reality I am hankering for a 300mm f4 and t.c but funds won’t stretch that far grrrrrrr

blackfox wildlife

Mu-43 Regular
First...……………...

The focus distance for a photograph is included in the EXIF and I have found it to be pretty accurate. So you can get the actual focus distance for any photo you have taken out of the EXIF.
just checked ( PL 100-400) the distance to subject is recorded on exif data on the mk1 body but NOT on the mkii ... I will check later with my Olympus lenses to see if its recorded with them ,only a minor problem but I wonder why .

blackfox wildlife

Mu-43 Regular
as per mk1 photo ,exif intact via Flickr distance to subject recorded
49391945072_12828eed08_h.jpg
long legged white bird by jeff and jan cohen, on Flickr
same lens on the mk2 body exif data intact on flickr once again ... distance to subject NOT recorded
come in no.50 your time is up by jeff and jan cohen, on Flickr

wjiang

Mu-43 Legend
I think maybe the Mark II records focus distance in a different field. Use https://exiftool.org/, this is what my E-M1 Mark II / 100-400 spits out:
Focus Distance : 36.695 m

That's about 120 feet.

Original crop is this:

2D019149e.jpg

For web or small print, I could get away with this final crop:

2D019149.jpg

That's a little pied shag, a medium sized bird (similar in size to a mallard). That for me is nearing the borderline of acceptable quality. Any lower resolution than that and it's usually time for the bin (other than for documentary purposes).

Having a scan through my latest bird images, I haven't kept any that were taken beyond 40 m. Any shots that I thought were 'good' quality were 20 m or less.

blackfox wildlife

Mu-43 Regular
my Mac won't let me install that due to security issues . and no I wouldn't use those distant shots either ..but using them is not the problem its the shut off point between sharp and soft that is the problem its not gradual its like a distinct cut off switch .i.e the egret shot I posted from the mk1 I wouldn't have got at that distance with the mk2 . either in flight or static . and can't get out to try using both at the moment due to sea fog . .

Phocal

Mu-43 Legend
my Mac won't let me install that due to security issues . and no I wouldn't use those distant shots either ..but using them is not the problem its the shut off point between sharp and soft that is the problem its not gradual its like a distinct cut off switch .i.e the egret shot I posted from the mk1 I wouldn't have got at that distance with the mk2 . either in flight or static . and can't get out to try using both at the moment due to sea fog . .
If you use Adobe you can find the distance using Photoshop. Go to File/File Info and type in distance in the search box.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom