PL-100-400 + omd1-mkii noise at distance

blackfox wildlife

Mu-43 Regular
not sure if I'm expecting to much ? I use the above lens and camera . totally love it on close to mid range subjects the results are excellent . but there seems to be a point which once exceeded the photos turn out very noisy .possibly im trying to take stuff to far away .or it could just be crap winter light in the northern u.k .. just done a quick M/A test on the lens and it appears fine . tried ETTR today with no improvements .. it could well be me as I said but its starting to bother me ..any ideas

Steph

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Stephane
Maybe you mean "muddy" instead of noisy ? For me with my cameras, the closer the better. Basically I want to fill my frame with my subject. That's the only way I get great image quality. I can't stand the muddy/pixelated/cropped-to-death images anymore lol. So yeah maybe your subject is too far.

Phocal

Mu-43 Legend
I can't stand the muddy/pixelated/cropped-to-death images anymore lol. So yeah maybe your subject is too far.
Which has become the norm with wildlife images any more. I just moved to Alaska and was looking at photos a local photographer was selling at a booth he setup. He bragged about having the largest selection of animal photos in the local area but honestly...........95% of his images would have been deleted by me if I had even bothered to take them. All were shot from way to far away, cropped to death and had zero detail.

blackfox wildlife

Mu-43 Regular
done some more tests this morning , birds the same distance away as before , but this time shooting with the sun behind/side of me .. it seems that could be the problem I was shooting directly into the sun at the other place not problems today with distant stuff

Phocal

Mu-43 Legend
Technically no, but this lens isn't that fast so maybe its causing the ISO to go up too much?
True, but that is still not a product of the lens per say. Any lens with the same aperture (even a faster one stopped down to same aperture) will produce the same amount of noise.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom