PL 100-400 info please?

WT21

Super Moderator
SOOOooooo….

There are two tiny marks on the barrel. The glass is pristine. The tripod shoe is there, the case is there, the lens caps are there, and there is a good grade UV filter attached. The hood is not there. He went and looked it up, found them on Ebay for $60-ish, and knocked another hundred off the lens. Final price was $900.

The zoom is a little stiff, but not unacceptable. Based on the descriptions from users I expected something much worse. Is the locking ring supposed to lock it tight so it can't be moved, or can it be forced? The one on this lens still allows you to move it if you try really hard. It feels like it's supposed to be that way. yes/no?
I am SOOOO jealous. I would love this lens, if I had the cash. Enjoy!

Brownie

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Tim
The unfortunate part is it's cold. I hate cold. I want to move to warmer climes. My wife hates heat, she wants to move to cooler climes. I suspect we'll stay here, and...it's cold.

Supposed to warm up a bit after today, get into the 40's (F). Will try and spend some time then.

Mike.K

Mu-43 Regular
SOOOooooo….

There are two tiny marks on the barrel. The glass is pristine. The tripod shoe is there, the case is there, the lens caps are there, and there is a good grade UV filter attached. The hood is not there. He went and looked it up, found them on Ebay for $60-ish, and knocked another hundred off the lens. Final price was $900.

The zoom is a little stiff, but not unacceptable. Based on the descriptions from users I expected something much worse. Is the locking ring supposed to lock it tight so it can't be moved, or can it be forced? The one on this lens still allows you to move it if you try really hard. It feels like it's supposed to be that way. yes/no?
Since you have had it for a month or so you probably have discovered there is click stop at each end of the locking ring. Took me a while to realise that and I found that the lens was looser when in the click stop position. I was being to careful not to force the ring. I don't use the tripod mount and have replaced it with a very short Arca swiss plate. you should be able to get a screw in lens hood on eBay very cheaply to replace the original hood.

Brownie

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Tim
Since you have had it for a month or so you probably have discovered there is click stop at each end of the locking ring. Took me a while to realise that and I found that the lens was looser when in the click stop position. I was being to careful not to force the ring. I don't use the tripod mount and have replaced it with a very short Arca swiss plate. you should be able to get a screw in lens hood on eBay very cheaply to replace the original hood.
Nope, haven't discovered anything! It's cold, cloudy, and stay indoors weather. I've only taken enough photos to confirm it works properly.

I detest screw in lens hoods, too much time when changing lenses. I bought a proper hood used.

I doubt I'll ever use this on a tripod so will likely stick with the standard mount. In fact I use a tripod so little I don't even have the plate mounted to my camera. That may change in the future, but for now will stick with it as-is.

Since you have had it for a month or so you probably have discovered there is click stop at each end of the locking ring. Took me a while to realise that and I found that the lens was looser when in the click stop position. I was being to careful not to force the ring.
Thanks, good to know. My 100-400 gets delivered today. I will check this particular behavior on my mine.

mumu

Mu-43 Veteran
Nope, haven't discovered anything! It's cold, cloudy, and stay indoors weather. I've only taken enough photos to confirm it works properly.

I detest screw in lens hoods, too much time when changing lenses. I bought a proper hood used.

I doubt I'll ever use this on a tripod so will likely stick with the standard mount. In fact I use a tripod so little I don't even have the plate mounted to my camera. That may change in the future, but for now will stick with it as-is.
I rarely use mine on a tripod and even when I do, I just use the built-in tripod hole. I removed the foot not long after getting the lens because it increases the bulk, making it tougher to fit into my bag. I do have an Arca Swiss plate on my lens, though. On rare occasions I prefer to hang the camera + lens onto a Capture Clip rather than on a shoulder strap or in my bag (usually because I'm temporarily shooting with another camera/lens combo).

AllanG

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Allan
I dont use the lens hood (only the small inbuilt one) and have never used the tripod extention (always use handheld).

Last edited:

Zman

Mu-43 Veteran
I rarely use mine on a tripod and even when I do, I just use the built-in tripod hole. I removed the foot not long after getting the lens because it increases the bulk, making it tougher to fit into my bag. I do have an Arca Swiss plate on my lens, though. On rare occasions I prefer to hang the camera + lens onto a Capture Clip rather than on a shoulder strap or in my bag (usually because I'm temporarily shooting with another camera/lens combo).
I'm just now looking for an Arca Swiss type plate to use on my lens and find the vast number and prices of them confusing. Can anyone recommend a specific brand & model that fits well for this use. Thanks.

Mike.K

Mu-43 Regular
I'm just now looking for an Arca Swiss type plate to use on my lens and find the vast number and prices of them confusing. Can anyone recommend a specific brand & model that fits well for this use. Thanks.
I bought one of these, I wanted the smallest plate I could get, this is mounted instead of the tripod extender, and does not overlap the Zoom ring, or interfere with the battery pack. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PU-40-Quick-Release-QR-Plate-For-J1-N1-Tripod-Ball-Head-Arca-Swiss-1-4-ScrN-lq-/123960646068?hash=item1cdca159b4

kinlau

Mu-43 Top Veteran
A 40, 50 or 60mm plate would work just fine. Anything longer is overkill.
I also like mine to be tool-less, not requiring a hex key to attach or detach.
There are also plates that let you also attach a strap so that you can have a QR plate and a strap attached at the same time.

Zman

Mu-43 Veteran
A 40, 50 or 60mm plate would work just fine. Anything longer is overkill.
I also like mine to be tool-less, not requiring a hex key to attach or detach.
There are also plates that let you also attach a strap so that you can have a QR plate and a strap attached at the same time.
Thank you

Just got my lens delivered and zoom stiffness is not a problem. It is not the smoothest in the world but at least it is uniformly stiff compared to some Sony and Nikons I have. On the positive side it will not zoom on its own when I point it downwards like Nikon 200-500 which had tendency to extend whenever I pointed the camera towards ground.

There is one peculiarity though or may be I am not able to tighten it enough - the lens foot tightening knob is awkwardly positioned and I feel it is not "tight" enough even after sufficient rotations. Anyone feel the same with their 100-400? Any quick fix?

Edit: And the lens mount is actually not tight on EM1.2 like what a lot of people experienced, so that's good. I was mostly worried about it leaving metal scrapes inside the body.

Last edited:

mumu

Mu-43 Veteran
Just got my lens delivered and zoom stiffness is not a problem. It is not the smoothest in the world but at least it is uniformly stiff compared to some Sony and Nikons I have. On the positive side it will not zoom on its own when I point it downwards like Nikon 200-500 which had tendency to extend whenever I pointed the camera towards ground.

There is one peculiarity though or may be I am not able to tighten it enough - the lens foot tightening knob is awkwardly positioned and I feel it is not "tight" enough even after sufficient rotations. Anyone feel the same with their 100-400? Any quick fix?
Sorry but I never encountered that issue with my lens foot...plus I removed it shortly after buying the lens since I found it added unnecessary bulk.

Hmm, so you just rest the lens on your palm? I use monopod sometimes so I put it on along with an Arca-swiss plate. I also do telephoto landscapes/vertical stitched panoramas and so the lens foot generally stays put.

mumu

Mu-43 Veteran
Hmm, so you just rest the lens on your palm? I use monopod sometimes so I put it on along with an Arca-swiss plate. I also do telephoto landscapes/vertical stitched panoramas and so the lens foot generally stays put.
I have an Arca Swiss plate (a foot for a Capture Clip) attached directly to the lens. 99% of the time I rest the lens in my palm, though. On rare occasions I'll use a tripod.

Richard_M

Mu-43 Regular
I use the foot on the lens for connection to a Black Rapid strap. I also use the same method for my Nikkor long lenses. I've never noticed any movement of the foot.

Sleepy Capybara mine fell off pronto and repeated same.
I tightened it again with more force and never come loose again.
I have the small rectangular tripod base mounted all the time and use it as a handle.
Very comfortable and I feel safe carrying it about.
Rarely, very rarely use tripod

Generationfourth

Mu-43 Veteran
I scored one of these off craigslist that was used only once for $800. I swear some people just echo what reviewers say. The zoom ring is silky smooth, the hood isn’t a big deal at all, and it’s unbelievably sharp at 400mm. Look forward to using this lens more!

I removed the tripod foot and it’s much easier to handle. Replaced it with a peak design capture clip with a attachment for my optech sling.

I spent the whole day hand holding it on the g9 I bought for this lens. I thought “this isn’t bad”. Wasn’t until I got home that I realized I had the OIS switched off the whole time. Turned it on and whoaaaa what a difference:laugh:

suffice to say I plan onrarely mounting it on a tripod.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom