Pixel Peeping (and dust on Sensor)

BillN

Mu-43 All-Pro
I've been pixel peeping and discovered three "marks" - what do you think - cannot see anything on the lens, sensor etc., but I will have to take a good look with a different lens etc., etc.,

What do you think

Mega crop
pixel_peep2.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Original
pixel_peep.jpg

Herman

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Hi Bill, seems you catched an UFO ! It's your first wikimft. Just kidding, I don't know what it is, with what camera did you photograph, hope it's not your L..c.

BillN

Mu-43 All-Pro
thanks Herman - it is the LLLLLLL iiiiiiiiii ccccccc aaaaaaaahhhhhh - but not surprised as there are many quirks - luckily there is still 15 months warranty left on the cam

BillN

Mu-43 All-Pro

Streetshooter

Administrator Emeritus
Do you have a sensor cleaning kit?
The Copperhill is the best. I also have a sensor loupe.
It shines a light to the sensor and you can see if anything is there.

BillN

Mu-43 All-Pro

no sensor cleaning stuff just washing up liquid etc., and a good brush

Seriously - I'll have a good look it the morning light and come back to you for advice as I will need it

So I need a loupe to inspect it, maybe a good blower, (all I have are the usual brush blowers), and then maybe some cleaning (liquid),

Thanks Don

Streetshooter

Administrator Emeritus
Bill,
The sensor cleaning solution dries fast and with almost to no streaks.
The pads leave no fibers behind.
The loupe let's you see very closely and clearly what is or isn't on the sensor.
I also have a small pen sized anti static vacuum cleaner.
A blower is a no no as it moves dust around from the inner body and the sensor.

Check out Copperhill...
Don

BillN

Mu-43 All-Pro
Just a couple of question

1). Can the sensor be damaged by shining a very bright light at it - There is a very thin piece of glass in front of it - right?

2). Is the (digital) image inverted - i.e. if I see marks on the bottom left of the screen image I should look to the top right of the sensor for these marks

Cheers

Real Name
Nic
Just a couple of question

1). Can the sensor be damaged by shining a very bright light at it - There is a very thin piece of glass in front of it - right?

2). Is the (digital) image inverted - i.e. if I see marks on the bottom left of the screen image I should look to the top right of the sensor for these marks

Cheers

I think the final image is inverted (top to bottom and left to right). I use the Lenspen Sensorklean.

PeterB666

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Peter
Yeah - dust bunnies rule!!!!

They are a pain in the rear and MFT cameras rather fond of them. I have wondered why the shutter doesn't close when lenses are removed. That would keep the sensor a lot cleaner.

Real Name
Nic
I had a bad one show up on the bottom right of photos about two weeks into a six week trip to the middle east earlier this year. My blower (which was all I had with me) wouldn't budge it, so I ended up having to reverse my potrait technique (rotating the camera clockwise instead of anti-clockwise) so the spot would be lost in amongst the detail instead of sticking out like dog's proverbials in the sky.

996gt2

Mu-43 Regular
Looks like sensor dust. Dust that's really stuck on there will not come off after the camera's built-in cleaning. Micro 4/3 is really susceptible to dust during lens changes because there is no mirror/shutter protecting the sensor from dust.

I'd recommend a wet-clean.

The problem does not appear at large apertures (say f/2), correct? If it's dust, it won't show up until you've stopped down to f/5.6 or later.

BillN

Mu-43 All-Pro
High - yes problem appeared at f8

M8 - Kodak sensor - 1.3 x crop

will take it gently and have a go at removal

Thanks for all your replies and advice

Cheers

Boyzo

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Yeah - dust bunnies rule!!!!

They are a pain in the rear and MFT cameras rather fond of them. I have wondered why the shutter doesn't close when lenses are removed. That would keep the sensor a lot cleaner.

I wondered that too if shutter were closed must be a reason why they
Pany and Oly did not go that route

BillN

Mu-43 All-Pro
If you want to get really anal - chose a high f number - aim at a light coloured wall - press the shutter and move the camera around a little while it is exposing the shot, (the dirt is on the sensor so it does not matter about focus of lens or keeping the cam still)

Then PP and convert to B & W - move the black slider up to increase the black and then the exposure slider to lighten the exposure

Like stars in the sky only reverse

(the other marks are the wallpaper plus the image is lit from the right side (dark edge on left) plus inconsistent light(ing))

dust.jpg

BillN

Mu-43 All-Pro

Don, as usual no Copperhill kits retailed in the UK - I'll keep searching but at least I can use their web site for guidance.

Note to other: there are some strange "sensor cleaning videos" on UTube - if you are going to clean your sensor do as much research as you can as some suggest methods that other say you should not use, i.e. the correct use of compressed air

May be useful

http://www.copperhillimages.com/index.php?pr=tutorials

Cheers

Latest threads

Top Bottom