Pix - motorsports with G3 & 45-175

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by markus, May 10, 2012.

1. markus

markus Mu-43 Rookie

Dec 28, 2011
    Hello gang -

I'm a longtime Nikon shooter (most recently D200, Sigma 100-300 f4, Nikon 70-200 f2.8, etc) and motorsports enthusiast. I have a Miata that I do NASA track days with and while at the track I've shot pix that have been published by Grassroots Motorsports, a Euro VW magazine, etc. Not that I think I'm great or anything, just throwing that out there so you know a little bit about where I'm coming from.

Over winter, I invested in a Panasonic G3 m4/3 setup mainly for pix and video of my children. I was concerned about the complexity and size of the newer Nikon dSLR's for my wife - m4/3 seemed like a great compromise in terms of size, ease of use, and results. So far I have been very happy with it for that purpose.

Of course since I'm cheap and lazy, I also wondered if the G3 would work at the race track. I had some concerns, then someone on here pointed me to this great website:
    micromotorsport | Micro Four Thirds Motorsport

So, when I went to MidOhio in April I took my G3. It was a crazy weekend (bad weather, buddy dinged up his car, etc) so I didn't get to shoot too much. Still - I was very happy with what I did get. Below are some sample images. Note these are jpg's from the camera (also shot raw but haven't even opened yet) with absolutely no correction done on them (no cropping, Lightroom or anything).

Did I mention it was Ohio, April and rainy (go figure) so it really was that dull crappy and overcast. Still given the conditions - I'm very happy with what I got. Note for the on-track shots I was trying to shoot slower shutter times to get blur and just overall see if the system could handle it. And it did. My keeper rate was pretty good - I think it would get better with more experience, it's a different feel than shooting the D200 for sure and I still might have preferred a tripod for stability.

Anyway, on with the samples - all taken with G3 and 45-175 zoom!

Crew Chief Serious Blair - mainly posting this to show the DOF/bokeh of the 45-175 which was a little better than I expected.

Whole gallery: markus' Photos : NASA Ohio-Indiana Region Event Photos : NASA Great Lakes 2012 | SmugMug

- Mark
    • Like Like x 4
  2. Ramirez

Ramirez Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 26, 2011
    I recently bought a G3 and it is good to see that you can use the G3 for racing action as well :smile:
  3. arg245

arg245 Mu-43 Rookie

Apr 25, 2012
    South Florida
    Just got my G3 and haven't had a chance to put it through it's paces yet, but I'm glad to see it holds its own in motorsports.
  4. atomic

atomic Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 3, 2011
    Nice shots! I'm happy to see more motorsport on here. I finally got out to New Hamphsire Motor Speedway with my EPM1 and a few lenses during the 24 Hours of LeMons event. I'll share some of my results and thoughts once I finish going through all the photos.

I also drive a Miata in amateur motorsports events, though I haven't done any head to head racing yet.
  5. DizzyV6P

DizzyV6P Mu-43 Regular

Apr 13, 2012
    What's ur technique on the G3? Do you pan the press shutter button or do you press halfway, pan, the press all the way?

Just curious to know what techniques work best with these cameras. I have a GF3 right now until my EM5 comes in.

6. Kevin

Kevin Mu-43 Regular

Aug 25, 2011
    Vancouver, Canada
    If you only press half way and then pan a moving subject might be out of focus when you actually take the shot. I guess it depends which focusing mode you're using though.
  7. atomic

atomic Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 3, 2011
    On the EPM1 I have been trying manual focus. I set the focus for the area on the track where the cars will be, then pan and take the shot when the car reaches the in focus area. In some cases I've tried keeping the shutter down as I pan, taking multiple exposures. This seems to work well, but it does leave me with lots of shots to sort through.
  8. markus

markus Mu-43 Rookie

Dec 28, 2011
    In regard to technique - the micro motorsports page I linked actually has some good tips on autofocus area settings, stabilization mode, etc.

Atomic - note I am just a lowly time trialer, not full wheel to wheel either! Can't wait to see the Lemons shots.

- Mark
  9. atomic

atomic Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 3, 2011