Pistol Reflex Sight instead of Oly EE-1 Dot Sight.

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by Dave in Wales, May 8, 2015.

1. Dave in Wales

Dave in Wales Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 5, 2011
    West Wales
    The Oly EE-1 Dot Sight is not available yet here in the UK and when it is it's likely to cost £99.

I have read that Reflex Sights for pistols can be used in place of the EE-1 and they cost a fraction of the price.

Below is a list of available sights on Amazon, It's a minefield.
    Which one would be suitable for adaption to fit the flash shoe of E-M1 fitted with a 75-300 lens.
    I am capable of doing the adaption myself.

How would one mount it to the camera's hot shoe.

Last edited: May 14, 2015
  2. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Search OzRay's posts and find his blog, he rigged one up before the Oly was announced.

However, by the time you get a gun sight and rail adapter, the price will be near the Oly.

3. Gary5

Gary5 Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 15, 2014
  4. Dave in Wales

Nov 5, 2011
    West Wales
  5. oldracer

oldracer Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 1, 2010
    I know a little about pistol sights. For a time I worked at being a competitive pistol shooter, the outcome of which is that I have four or five red dot sights on pistols in my safe. Manufacturers are UltraDot and Aimpoint. IIRC the Ultradots ran $150-200 and the Aimpoints $300-400.

I could also make a mount. I have the tools (3 axis DRO milling machine, lathe, TIG welder, etc.) and the experience.

I would not even consider making an adapter so I could use a cheap pistol sight on a camera. Buy the Oly.

• First, you will only save money if you buy a cheap, low quality sight. While you don't need a sight that can withstand thousands of rides on a .45 caliber pistol slide, you do need one that will hold its settings when bumped and whose setting screws are easily and repeatably adjustable. This means, at a minimum, aluminum instead of plastic. The universal "Do not buy cheap tools." rule applies.
    • Second, the Oly is designed for the job. It is compact, attractive, and almost certainly has a design that guarantees repeatable positioning in the hot shoe. This last issue is not trivial. You do not want to have to re-zero every time you mount the sight.
    • Third, if you build your own you have nothing of value to sell if you decide you don't want it any more. With the Oly, you can expect to get the majority of your money back on a resale.
    I am a DIY advocate where it makes sense. In this case IMHO it does not.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  6. Dave in Wales

Nov 5, 2011
    West Wales

I am strongly of the opinion that an apology is required here.

Next time you go DENEGRADING members technical abilities, GET YOR FACTS STRAIGHT.

I may not be over stocked with all those highfalutin machine tools you seem to have, but I do have a garage full of good quality hand tools and plenty of DIY materials.

I also have plenty of theoretical knowledge and hands-on experience after working for over forty years in the engineering industry, and I may add of making DIY photographic gear.

I reiterate my thoughts......the Oly EE-1 Dot-Finder is IMVHO, huge, ugly and way over priced at £99 here in the UK.
    My beautiful little DIY effort cost me just £17 and does the same thing.
    It also gave me hours of pleasure.

More pictures and conclusions to follow shortly under a different thread, but I doubt you'd be interested.

[​IMG]image by Dave in Wales, on Flickr
    Last edited: May 14, 2015
  7. oldracer

oldracer Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 1, 2010
    Well, good. I told you what my approach would be but I understand totally that the pleasure and satisfaction of getting just what you want is a main driver for DIY. Certainly it is for me.