Pimped E-p1 (grip replaced with cork)

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by dreilly, Dec 7, 2010.

1. dreilly

dreilly Mu-43 Rookie

Jul 26, 2010
    Just thought I'd show this off. The cork gives the E-P1 a nice, non-plasticky feel. It wasn't hard to do, but I did have to take off the bottom and back plates. A lot easier than taking apart an old rangefinder camera!

Attached Files:

2. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    Jason
    Thats actually pretty cool. I'd actually like to make the grip bigger. I fear though that I'd break it if I took it apart. Wouldn't that void the warranty?

3. dreilly

dreilly Mu-43 Rookie

Jul 26, 2010
    Yes, it would. I think mine was out of warranty anyway. I'm not sure how you could make a bigger grip, but if you were a woodworker I'm sure there would be a way to carve a new grip out of wood. There are three screws--you have to get at them from under the front plate--that hold that plastic grip on. Those could be used for the new grip too. Proceed at your own risk--I just wanted to show how this looks.

4. akulya

akulya Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 21, 2010
    Very nice,
    I was thinking about doing something similar, working a fine piece of leather around the exisitng grip and setting it flush onto the camera, I will probably wait for my warranty to expire before I attempt it though. If only it had a really decent front grip, the e-p1 would be my ideal camera.

Any chance of pics during the construction?

5. dreilly

dreilly Mu-43 Rookie

Jul 26, 2010
    Kal,
    I don't have images of my process, but you can figure it out from this set on flickr: Removing hand grip on Olympus E-P1 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

You might be able to recover the grip and screw it back on. I'm not sure the plastic frame that goes around the grip will still fit, and I'm not sure that the grip edges will be flush without it, but it sounds like a worthwhile experiment. The screws that go into the grip from the underside of the plate (there are three of them) are pretty long, so that's probably not a big problem.

Let us know how it turns out.

6. akulya

akulya Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 21, 2010
    Thanks for the reply,

I think I've seen that guys flickr before, I've just been procrastinating really; as I've got the leather, and I'm sure it will work out alright.

I might just get stuck in!

7. akulya

akulya Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 21, 2010
    Inspired by your cork grip, I just got stuck in.

DSC06821.JPG DSC06820.JPG

It's just a nice fine piece of leather stretched over the existing grip, this obviously had to be done while the grip was detached, superglued on, and anchored underneath by the screws at the back, and the tabs at the front.

I put the rough side outwards so that it really had some texture, I'm sure it will buff up nicely over the years :)

Not a bad couple of hours spent,

check us out with our custom cameras:biggrin:

• Like Like x 1
  8. FaradayCage

FaradayCage Mu-43 Regular

Apr 22, 2010
    Cork looks good, dreilly. So does that Panasonic f1.7. Love IBIS.