1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Pieces falling off ...

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by bassman, Oct 5, 2015.

1. bassman

bassman Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 22, 2013
    New Jersey
    Scott
    ... of my gear. I've been hiking the last few days in Vermont.

/rant on

On Friday, I lost the EP-12 eyecup from the E-M1. Yesterday it was the lens hood on the Panny 12-35. I've posted before (as have many others) about loosing lens caps. Why can't the engineers who design these incredibly complex devices manage to create parts that stay attached? It can't be that hard.

I understand that lens hoods and caps need to be easily removeable, so I guess the design could be a little harder (but not that much). But eyecups? They almost never get removed
    (most users never deliberately remove them), and so should be pretty hard to remove.

Or is the cynic in my head right about his all being a ploy to sell replacement parts are their ridiculous prices? I'm out $35 plus shipping and tax for a piece of plastic, and some rubbery material on a thin metal plate.

/rant off

2. Replytoken

Replytoken Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    This will not solve your immediate problem, which I am sorry to hear, but the next time you place an order from somewhere like B&H, buy some cheap generic lens caps to use when hiking. Better to lose a cheap cap than an expensive one. Hope nothing else falls off and/or gets lost.

Good luck,

--Ken

• Like Like x 1
  3. bassman

bassman Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 22, 2013
    New Jersey
    Scott
    Lol ...I buy the generic lens caps in bulk, and even have 58mm step up rings on my primes to I can use the same cap on every lens.

Genetic bayonet hoods don't seem to exist, and of course the eyecup is also only proprietary.

4. ijm5012

ijm5012 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 2, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ian
    I use a strip of gaffer's tape around the edge of my eye cups to help attach them to the body. Fortunately I've never lost a lens cap, as I have a pretty good routine (If I take a lens cap off, it immediately goes in my pants pocket).

The eye cup bit is annoying, but gaffer's tape is a good solution that holds very well, but doesn't leave any residue behind when removed.

5. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    At least the pieces falling off actually come off. I was wondering if this was another thread about the dials coming off.:eek-31:
    Small rubber bands also work well on eye cups.

6. Wisertime

Wisertime Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 6, 2013
    Philly
    Steve
    Interesting timing. Must have been the supermoon. ;) My 12-40mm lens cap blew up this weekend when I went to remove it and I just got an EP14 eyecup to replace the one on my EM5. I never lost the eyepiece, but the rubber ring on the outside fell off and got lost at a festival last year. Tried to email Oly about the lenscap, but keep getting error messages.

UPDATE: Just got off the phone w/Oly...going to send me a new lens cap. I was just a few weeks past warranty date. Very cool of them.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2015
    • Like Like x 2
  7. nstelemark

nstelemark Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 28, 2013
    Halifax, Nova Scotia Canada
    Larry
    The 12-35 lens hood is very easy to remove - really too easy.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. budeny

budeny Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 4, 2014
    Boulder, CO
    Dunno, I have 12-35 for years and large (EP-13) eyecup on EM1 and never had an issue with them.
    May be your bag is too tight?

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. nstelemark

May 28, 2013
    Larry
    My 12-35 hood is loose enough that it could come off by being jostled while on the camera. If you had it on your shoulder and did not notice one could lose it.

10. budeny

budeny Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 4, 2014
    Boulder, CO
    I guess, a dab of epoxy (like JB Weld) on the hood will make it more tight - just let it harden completely for 48 hours before mounting on lens.

• Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  11. nstelemark

May 28, 2013
    Larry
    I'm going to do something like this. I guess it is better than getting tighter and being jammed on at some point which happened to the 12-60SWD.

12. nuclearboy

nuclearboy Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 28, 2011
    USA
    I have used the jb weld option. Two of the tiniest dabs I could manage and it tightened up. Good color match too.

• Winner Winner x 1
    • Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  13. nstelemark

May 28, 2013
    Larry
    Cool thanks.

14. DanGuy48

DanGuy48 Mu-43 Regular

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  15. Clint

Clint Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 22, 2013
    San Diego area, CA
    Clint
    That's friggrn hilarious! Rollin on the floor halariass!