Pictures on a bar

pboga

Mu-43 Regular
Hey guys.

So, last night went to a bar to have a few drinks and decided to take some pictures.

None of them are creative or something like that. Just some shots, trying to learn more on my camera.
Thing is, i have an E-pl1 for almost 2 months (been an P&S user for ages) and still haven't got the time to take more pictures.
I didn't like the overall result of them. I know that the light was really poor, but anyway...

Also, no pp were done in any of them. Those are jpgs right out of the camera.

So, if you please could check it out and tell me what i did wrong, what i could improve, stuff like that... , i'll be more than thankful.

I put on the description of all some info about it.

Lixo - a set on Flickr

Cheers.

BBW

Super Moderator Emeritus
It looks to me as though the two you took with the flash worked out just fine. It was pretty dark in there and the white balance would need to be corrected in your non flash shots...

Perhaps you should pick out two or three and embed them here in your thread for more involved discussion? I think that would make it easier for people to give you more helpful feedback.

pboga

Mu-43 Regular
Okay, so here a few. If anyone wants, the whole is available on flickr! =]

View attachment 157216
P2101077 por pboga, no Flickr
20mm
Shutter (1/10)
Aperture f/1.7
iso 200
iEnhance
WB : Cloudy
No flash

View attachment 157217
P2101078 por pboga, no Flickr
20mm
Shutter (1/8)
Aperture f/1.7
iso 200
iEnhance
WB : Tungsten
No flash

View attachment 157218
P2101079 por pboga, no Flickr
20mm
Shutter (1/80)
Aperture f/1.7
iso 2000
iEnhance
No flash

View attachment 157219
P2101089 por pboga, no Flickr
20mm
Shutter (1/60)
Aperture f/10
iso 200
iEnhance
WB : Auto
With flash

View attachment 157220
P2101090 por pboga, no Flickr
20mm
Shutter (1/4)
Aperture f/1.7
iso 200
iEnhance
No flash

View attachment 157221
P2101091 por pboga, no Flickr
20mm
Shutter (1/60)
Aperture f/1.7
iso 200
iEnhance
WB : Auto
With flash

akulya

Mu-43 Veteran
Well done with the ones you have taken!

I'm no expert really, but some things you might want to try are:

• Shoot RAW for more headroom in post processing (which is always nice to have)
  • Social shots like this are more usually about capturing a moment and sharing electronically on social media, with maybe a small (6x4) physical print made out of 1% of them - so don't be afraid to really crank up the ISO, 3200 will still produce pictures that look good at these small sizes - and careful noise reduction in post processing can do a lot to improve that rare masterpiece that started life very noisily indeed. ISO 200 is for maximum resolution in good light, but in near darkness, just move ISO up and up.
  • Use a decent RAW converter (apeture/Lightroom/Bibble) to correct (or manipulate) the white balance to create the image ou want.
  • Black and white post processing is very tolerant of noise, good composition is far more important - look at how the available light is illuminating the scene, and compose the frame to take advantage of natural lines and shapes.
  • Consider shooting in shutter priority - set ISO manually to 3200 (or whatever you prefer), let the camera open the lens up to 1.7, and use the slowest shutter speed you can get away with. With the E-pl1's image stabilisation turned on, you should be able to go down to 1/4s for a posed shot, but stay a bit higher (1/20ish) if there's any light movement you want to freeze.
  • Enjoy the evening with the women, don't just take photos :smile:

I don't really use flash much yet (I have an E-p1 and external flash which I never seem to use), but someone here might know how to make better use of the E-PL1's built in one.

akulya

Mu-43 Veteran
Just some examples (not intending to hijack your thread)
All of these were taken at f1.7 and ISO1600 with variable shutter speeds in (or outside) dark bars.

5436387536_aacddca9e0_z.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

5435779575_c7aea2573d_b.jpg

5436386774_6802235436_b.jpg

5436386162_07b744c685_b.jpg

pboga

Mu-43 Regular
Hey, thanks a lot for the tips.

I took all of those with RAW+Jpeg setting. So i'm still able to do some work on them. But first i'll have to learn my ways on Lightroom.
I guess that i have to stop being afraid of the ISO and use it more! I never really liked to use the flash in my cameras, so that's why i tried in most here not to use it!

Also, probably one other thing is to start taking some "candid" shots, as i see here a lot!

Next time on a bar, i'll take some new shots and lets see how they will come up!

Ahhh, and you are right. More women and less photos! =]

Cheers

BBW

Super Moderator Emeritus
We've got some very helpful threads about Lightroom in the Software forum so don't hesitate to ask questions after you've perused them - if you haven't already.

I'd also suggest taking it off iEnhance and tweaking it more in LR after the fact.

Vidar

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Yep... I guess that says what I would say.... yep!

+1

I like your picture, looks like fun:smile:

I don´t like flash pictures and don´t own a flash so I can´t comment on them.

I think I would have used a higher ISO than 200 to get faster shutter time. Maybe you can adjust the white balance to get some of the red cast toned down? I think the non flash pictures would look cool in B&W.

Basically I agree with akulya!

thearne3

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I downloaded the first shot and used A3 to render it in B&W. I think given the rather strong color balance issues, this might be the way to go. I will post the result, if you want...

BTW, I notice the shutter speeds are REALLY slow for shooting living/moving things in the first few shots - anything below 1/30 is asking for trouble - even if the subjects agree to be still!

pboga

Mu-43 Regular
I downloaded the first shot and used A3 to render it in B&W. I think given the rather strong color balance issues, this might be the way to go. I will post the result, if you want...

BTW, I notice the shutter speeds are REALLY slow for shooting living/moving things in the first few shots - anything below 1/30 is asking for trouble - even if the subjects agree to be still!

Please, post it!!

I guess that, because i didn't increase the ISO, i had to use slow shutter speeds.
So, probably my worst problem here was the ISO, right?

One other thing, i'm learning how cool and good is to use a PP software, to improve your photos, but this isn't a rule, right? I mean, it's better to take the best possible shot and, if it's possible, give it some tweaks.

I don't know, but since i'm still learning, probably it will be the best if, at first, i learn how to take a good shot, instead of learn how to improve every bad shot i take, in PP softwares?

thearne3

Mu-43 Top Veteran
OK. With PBoga's permission here are two shots edited with Aperture 3. The first is color corrected/reduced noise using the Nik Color Efex and Define plugins, the second a conversion to B&W using Orange Filter - both sharpened a bit. These are 'quick and dirty'... just to show what a little post-processing can do. BTW, the hard part for me in PP is correcting WB - really pays to get that right when taking the shot! Indoor lighting is tough: too many variations in light type - often in the same room (this is certainly true in PBoge's shots: note background light vs foreground light.)

View attachment 157245
View attachment 157246

Latest threads

Top Bottom