Pictures Of and With an E-M1

drd1135

Zen Snapshooter
Real Name
Steve
Nice set. Some of those 4/3 lenses look huge on the EM1. The only 4/3 lens I've ever had is the 50 f2 macro. It was excellent.

dhazeghi

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Dara
Thanks to Olympus UK I had the opportunity along with other members of the E-System Users Group to try an E-M1 on Thursday, just two days after the launch. Brief comments and some pictures from the event can be seen at http://e-group.uk.net/forum/showthread.php?t=28962

Thanks for sharing! Any thoughts re: AF, particularly on the 50/2 and 50-200/2.8-3.5?

Also good to see I'm not the only one who gets stymied by AWB sometimes :smile:

goldenlight

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
John
Thanks for sharing! Any thoughts re: AF, particularly on the 50/2 and 50-200/2.8-3.5?

Also good to see I'm not the only one who gets stymied by AWB sometimes :smile:

I'm not familiar with using either of those lenses but the opinion of those who do is that the 50/2 hunts less than it did on 4/3 bodies and the 50-200 does single shot as fast and accurate as on 4/3 bodies. Opinion is divided about C-AF, most agree that it is as good or very nearly as good as on the E-5 but many were hoping for an improvement more towards what a Canon 7D can do, for instance.

One cautionary note, none of the PDAF sensors are the cross type, so focus may be disrupted by horizontal lines.

The ambient light in that studio was a pig, it couldn't have been designed better if it was intended as a tough test for white balance. Most of us were shooting JPEGs due to the current lack of raw converters (although Olympus Viewer has just been updated) and although some tried custom settings etc I stuck with AWB so as not to waste too much time, especially with others waiting to use the camera.

Obviously the event could have been so much better with more planning and the provision of studio lights, but the intention was to quickly get those cameras into the hands of forum members before they start the rounds of retailer open days. There is precisely one 12-40mm in the whole of the UK at present and we also had that to play with. However, I didn't get any time with it, other than to very briefly hold it, as it was in great demand. I didn't mind though - I won't be buying it (or the camera) anytime soon and I felt it more important that those with a serious interest should get priority.

dhazeghi

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Dara
I'm not familiar with using either of those lenses but the opinion of those who do is that the 50/2 hunts less than it did on 4/3 bodies and the 50-200 does single shot as fast and accurate as on 4/3 bodies. Opinion is divided about C-AF, most agree that it is as good or very nearly as good as on the E-5 but many were hoping for an improvement more towards what a Canon 7D can do, for instance.

One cautionary note, none of the PDAF sensors are the cross type, so focus may be disrupted by horizontal lines.

Thanks for the detailed round-up. Fast S-AF is really all I'm looking for (or rather, hoping for). Was curious about the 50/2 as there are a number of inexpensive samples floating around, and I know from experience how sharp it is. Had to sell the lens though - AF was just too slow for candid shots. If that's fixed though, well, that's just another reason to consider the E-M1!

Latest threads

Top Bottom