Pictures from St. Augustine FL.

Djarum

Super Moderator
Real Name
Jason
I am originally from Jacksonville, Florida, and saw my parents during the Christmas Holidays. I hadn't visited St. Augustine in some time, so my sister, my girlfriend, and myself took a quick trip(45 minutes) down there to spend some time. I took about 150 pictures, so I had a good chance to exercise my new EP1 and see how well I really liked it. My girlfriend complained because I exercised it too much:eek:

This first five are from the inside and around the Catherdral Basilica.

I have more I'll post later

Attachments

• PC300716small.jpg
    PC300716small.jpg
    235 KB · Views: 312
  • PC300717small.jpg
    PC300717small.jpg
    172.5 KB · Views: 316
  • PC300728small.jpg
    PC300728small.jpg
    167.6 KB · Views: 309
  • PC300738small.jpg
    PC300738small.jpg
    182.2 KB · Views: 292
  • PC300747small.jpg
    PC300747small.jpg
    154.7 KB · Views: 296
  • PC300697small.jpg
    PC300697small.jpg
    219.8 KB · Views: 309
  • PC300748small.jpg
    PC300748small.jpg
    197.1 KB · Views: 317
  • PC300755small.jpg
    PC300755small.jpg
    187.5 KB · Views: 308
  • PC300760small.jpg
    PC300760small.jpg
    152.5 KB · Views: 295
  • PC300692small.jpg
    PC300692small.jpg
    178 KB · Views: 288

Djarum

Super Moderator
Real Name
Jason
Here are some more pictures. Criticism is always welcome.

Attachments

• PC300739small.jpg
    PC300739small.jpg
    224.9 KB · Views: 274
  • PC300799small.jpg
    PC300799small.jpg
    155.6 KB · Views: 391
  • PC300802small.jpg
    PC300802small.jpg
    221.2 KB · Views: 282
  • PC300800small.jpg
    PC300800small.jpg
    234.2 KB · Views: 328
  • PC300826small.jpg
    PC300826small.jpg
    284.4 KB · Views: 295
  • PC300811small.jpg
    PC300811small.jpg
    137.8 KB · Views: 274

BBW

Super Moderator Emeritus
I am originally from Jacksonville, Florida, and saw my parents during the Christmas Holidays. I hadn't visited St. Augustine in some time, so my sister, my girlfriend, and myself took a quick trip(45 minutes) down there to spend some time. I took about 150 pictures, so I had a good chance to exercise my new EP1 and see how well I really liked it. My girlfriend complained because I exercised it too much:eek:

This first five are from the inside and around the Catherdral Basilica.

I have more I'll post later

I've never been to St. Augustine, unless it was a very long time ago when I was a small child. Thanks so much for posting your photographs and it's so great to hear how much you really like your E-P1 - you're not alone!

From my two favorites from your first set are #2 the view from below of the Spanish style church steeple because it is dramatic, the color is great and the palm trees emphasize the reach of the steeple...which can be read as part of the church's heavenward aspirations or just see it as a visual punch; and #3 because of, yes, the beauty of the stained glass but mainly because of their play against the very small but bright exit (or is it an entrance?) from the sanctuary.

Thanks so much for posting your shots!

Streetshooter

Administrator Emeritus
The one of the guy in the wheel chair..is a Killer, Sleeper.......
The eye travel really works. I might like to put it in a separate thread and give a break down if you would let me....
Shooter

hodad66

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Nice pix!! I love to visit St Augustine, it has such a great vibe....

Your images are great and bring back some fine memories.... :)

Here's one that I obviously manipulated.... one of my fav's

23111507_373ce843ab.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Djarum

Super Moderator
Real Name
Jason
Nice pix!! I love to visit St Augustine, it has such a great vibe....

Your images are great and bring back some fine memories.... :)

Here's one that I obviously manipulated.... one of my fav's

23111507_373ce843ab.jpg

That is nice. The architecture, smells, sounds, and people all make for good photography down there.

Dj

Djarum

Super Moderator
Real Name
Jason
I did not get a chance to talk about some of the pictures I posted. When I posted the first set, there were a fair number of views, but no one commented on them. If they are bad, I need to know, so I can improve.

Now, in regards to the fellow in the wheelchair. In St. Augustine down around George St., there are a number of small shops with crafts and such, but they are real small. When I took this shot, I first thought that this poor old guy was left there by whomever was out shopping. I thought this guy was old. When I passed him when we left that alley, the guy was in his late 20's or early 30's. About the time we had passed him, he smiled as his family and friends came out of the shop they were in. Sometimes a picture doesn't say the whole story.

Now, one of my favorite pictures is the one with the fountain. I actually have two almost identicle pictures. One has the flower in focus and the fountain out of focus, and then one like this. To me, this picture is dramatic, because our brain, or at least my brain, wants to first look at the unfocused flower. The picture with the flower in focus and the fountain out of focus is also interesting. There is always the tock of "bokeh' or out of focus background. I know that typically with flower shots folks usually want the background completly out of focus. But I on the other hand love how, like in this picture, the unfocused portion can still be recognizable. In my second picture, the fountain is unfocused and almost a Silhouette of the fountain. I will post this one as well when I get a chance.

In regards to the bell tower, that is where the Church's gift shop is at. I take pictures of buildings as I see them. Meaning, if I'm in close corners, the only way to get the picture is point the camera up. I've read many rules that pictures should be taken level..etc. But when in tight street corners, there's no way to take a picture without the perspective of looking up. Even if its not the correct way, its the way that I remember looking at it.

One of my favorite pictures is of my girlfriend as she turned to look at something. Only a small portion of her face can be seen. She does not like portraits. She doesn't mind folks taking a picture with a group or far away, but she doesn't like close portraits. One of the reason's I love the kit lens is because at the long end, it allows me to take portraits farther away and be less intrusive. I would have not gotten some of portraits without the kit lens, or at least, a lens at 80-90mm eq. focal length.

BBW

Super Moderator Emeritus
Check out my comments above regarding my two favorites from your first selection.:wink: And I wouldn't worry about the idea that to be successful a photo needs "to be taken level" - think about all the incredible war photograhs from the Civil War to our too many wars of the present.

oldmandon

Mu-43 Rookie
Brings back memories - our daughter worked in St. Augustine up until Mar., '09. We made several trips to see her and of course, take some pix too! Great shots - it's one interesting city (I guess two, if you count old town as one and the 'modern' city as two)

hodad66

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I like the framing of this one with the foreground
vegetation....

attachment.php?attachmentid=334&d=1264723865.jpg

personally I would crop to almost square from
the bottom, but then I almost never leave my
images as they come from the cam.... :)

hodad66

Mu-43 Top Veteran
yep.... but that's just my taste. The lower area carried
no further information and because it was bright it distracted.

We'll see what others say....... :) A great deal can be said for
"white space" to use a publishing term and to refrain from centering
the subject but, for me, it was distracting.

Djarum

Super Moderator
Real Name
Jason
I agree that cropping a good part of the bottom, while still retaining the out of focus leaves and flowers was a good move because now we are looking through to what's going on back in there. Big improvement!

I usually go through the pictures I sort of like after I've taken them and do some PP. I have yet, with about 250 pictures from St. Augustine, really gotten through all of them to do anything with them. The picture originally posted was straight out of the camera, as all of them are.

I'm personally not wild about the people in the background, but I do like the dynamic effect of the running water in the fountain. Somehow I think I need to emphasize this a little.

Dj

BBW

Super Moderator Emeritus
Right, I can see you not wanting to even have those folks in there - the water in the fountain is much more interesting. Not having photoshop, I have no experience in removing unwanted beings or others from a photo, but if you can "get rid of them" I think the image would be much stronger.

Latest threads

Top Bottom