pictures from our "around the USA trip by RV"

Discussion in 'Nature' started by TucsonLawrence, Nov 21, 2013.

1. TucsonLawrence

TucsonLawrence Mu-43 Regular

Jul 24, 2013
    Tucson
    Lawrence Richards
    I'm not sure how/where to post these, and if anyone else has a better idea please let me know.

We are on a year-long "around the USA by RV" trip and we started out this week by going to Guadaloupe National Park, White Sands National Monument, and Carlsbad Caverns.

In each case I learned a "lesson" about my photography...

in Guadaloupe I lost a lens cap... darn it... I let a Ranger know and backtracked but still couldn't find it... luckily I had a spare but I hated knowing that I didn't leave the forest "clean"

In White Sands, I forgot my (bought for just that purpose) ND filter... luckily, it wasn't (too) bright, though things were still very washed out (I still had fun photographing though!)

In Carlsbad Caverns, I went to great lengths to bring my tripod... but then forgot the head... (DANGIT) which meant that long shutter times were pretty tough. I used a 25mm 1.4 and high ISO to manage, but boy I wish I could have used a tripod... the caves were almost deserted and we had vast time alone in the caverns (very rare according to a ranger)

At any rate, here are some photos- none of these were doctored with lightroom though some were taken with the artsy settings of my GH3 (which can be quite fun)

Please let me know if there is a better way/place to put these, but I plan to update this thread as the year goes along- (FYI our blog about the trip and more pics are located here)
    https://www.facebook.com/Richardsrvtrip

White Sands National Monument
    10973301414_da81e65ed2_b.
    P1060113-1-1-1 by ldr_klr, on Flickr
    10973130755_e75bfd54b7_b.
    P1060164-1-1-1 by ldr_klr, on Flickr
    10973300394_d7cfb40e9a_b.
    P1060239-1-1 by ldr_klr, on Flickr
    10973300264_bc6be2dd18_b.
    P1060242-1-1-1 by ldr_klr, on Flickr
    10973217596_0ed99a4eda_b.
    P1060253-1-1-1 by ldr_klr, on Flickr

• Like Like x 10
  2. TucsonLawrence

Jul 24, 2013
    Tucson
    Lawrence Richards
    • Like Like x 5
  3. TucsonLawrence

Jul 24, 2013
    Tucson
    Lawrence Richards
    • Like Like x 5
  4. wildwildwes

wildwildwes Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 9, 2012
    Brooklyn, NY
    REALLY cool project and great pix Lawrence!
    Thanks for sharing...

BTW, you mentioned shooting with the Pany 25 lens, what camera?

Cheers-

5. bassman

bassman Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 22, 2013
    New Jersey
    Scott
    Nice pix. Sounds like a great trip. We di a month around the Western parks last year.

And I'm sure you've thought of this, but Amazon or B&H will happily ship new parts to your next hotel. I had to do this for stuff lost on our trip.

6. TucsonLawrence

Jul 24, 2013
    Tucson
    Lawrence Richards
    thanks guys - (and thanks for all the "thanks" all... I'm really a newbie at photography but am having fun)

WW, I'm using a GH3, and sometimes my wife's GF3 for taking pics.

Thanks again, more pics to come as the trip progresses,
    Lawrence

7. Roger

Roger Mu-43 Regular

Jul 2, 2011
    Western PA
    Really nice pictures. I especially liked the first set. I'll be viewing as you continue your travels.

8. rfortson

rfortson Mu-43 Veteran

Nice photos, Lawrence! Sounds like a great trip. Please keep posting.

BTW, your experience matches mine, unfortunately. :) I buy a piece of gear, and the remember that I had it AFTER the shots I bought it for.

9. JamieW

JamieW Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 25, 2013
    Nice photos, and a good start.

Don't forget to get some shots of the RV. I've got so many trips behind me in vehicles I don't own any more and I always wish I had captured some shots of the vehicles we made the trips in. Hotels, camp sites, rest stops, places you ate, family, people you meet along the way, all good to get photos of. I always come home with the landscapes and miss the other things that make the trips memorable. Fortunately my wife's much better than I am about remembering to take photos of these things.

Can't wait to see more.

10. Colorbright

Colorbright Mu-43 Regular

Lawrence, having fun is the main point, at least for me. Glad to hear you are enjoying yourself, and thanks for sharing your photos!

Oh, and just a quick thought: if you have the time, I would love reading stories about your travels and then seeing your associated photos :smile:

All the best on your trip - that idea of RVing around for a year is super cool. So many people to meet and adventures to have. Looking forward to seeing your next posts! :smile:

11. nuclearboy

nuclearboy Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 28, 2011
    USA
    Great to see. I love the idea of touring in an RV. Being on the ground gives you plenty of opportunities to see things.

12. TucsonLawrence

Jul 24, 2013
    Tucson
    Lawrence Richards
  13. tconelly

tconelly Mu-43 Rookie

May 28, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    Hey, I know those trees in White Sands! I live in Las Cruces and try to go several times a year.

The trees are able to grow in this part of White Sands because the water table is much closer to the surface than elsewhere in the monument. Here's my take on the trees during the Fall months (Oct-Nov)

Canon 7D and Canon EFS 15-85
    img_3375_std.

Canon Xsi and Canon 17-55
    img_4746_b_std.

Canon G11
    WS_09_10_img_1848_b_std.

Tom Conelly

• Like Like x 2
  14. TucsonLawrence

Jul 24, 2013
    Tucson