Pics of the new Godox Trigger

Discussion in 'Lighting Forum' started by Repp, Sep 10, 2017.

1. Repp

Repp Mu-43 All-Pro Subscribing Member

Jan 27, 2011
    Oak Harbor, WA
    Here are pics of the new Godox XPro trigger, curtesy of Edward Tang of Cheetahstand. Expect the first versions to be CaNikon, we m43 users will probably be last with the fuji release.

Full post with 10x photos:
    Edward Tang
    21586702_1805092416171758_743028519117505395_o.

• Like Like x 2
  2. AussiePhil

AussiePhil Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 1, 2014
    Canberra, ACT, Aust
    Phil
    Nice nice nice
    Hope your wrong on release timing

Mind you I have zero need for this but I so want it!!!!

3. Repp

Jan 27, 2011
    Oak Harbor, WA
    Glad the photo stayed, Edward deleted his post saying that he was going to let Godox make the announcement.
    I'm looking forward to it, as it looks easier to operate than the x1t. Honestly, I'd really just like a updated +HSS version of the XT-16 as it's just so dang easy to use and has more group options.

4. CyVan

CyVan Mu-43 Top Veteran Subscribing Member

Mar 9, 2016
    Jamaica
    He's updated it again:
    upload_2017-9-11_11-52-23.

upload_2017-9-11_11-54-1.

upload_2017-9-11_11-54-11.

Looks good , but I'd miss the passthru hotshoe.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  5. CyVan

Mar 9, 2016
    Jamaica
    More Info
    FLASHPOINT R2 Pro / GODOX XPro-C – TTL Transmitter Announced | FLASH HAVOC

I love this part:
    TCM FUNCTION
    Another significant feature now provided with the Pro transmitter is the new TCM function.

TCM stands for TLL > Convert > Manual.

This is Godox and Flashpoint’s version of Hybrid or Fusion TTL, where its now possible to take a shot in TTL mode to attain a correct exposure very quickly, and then at the press of a button convert those TTL power levels to now display on the transmitter as Manual power levels.

The manual power levels can then be further refined, and provide consistent exposures for further shots in the same set up and environment.

The TCM function is potentially a huge advantage for people operating in a fast paced environment, allowing a base setting to be gained very quickly without manually metering lights. Switching to manual the individual power levels can then be refined as needed, and exposures remain constant for subsequent images.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Repp

Jan 27, 2011
    Oak Harbor, WA
    The first comment made by FlashHavoc is interesting. Leads me to believe that another Adorama version was/is in the works, but that that version directly influenced the Godox one. Can't wait to get my hands on one.

7. Clint

Clint Mu-43 All-Pro Subscribing Member

Apr 22, 2013
    San Diego area, CA
    Clint
    I'd be interested to hear how any of you make out with the new transmitter.

Interesting, though I'm not sure how much it improves over X1T. The X1T is very easy to use. Although it would be nice when the camera is mounted on a tripod. But I have not an issue with bending down to make changes.

While the TCM sounds nice, I not sure how much someone would really get from it. And will it work if you have both TTL with FEC adjustments and manual flashes set up. If it works as expected, that would be great. But then I can't think of lot of times when I might use it.

8. AussiePhil

AussiePhil Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 1, 2014
    Canberra, ACT, Aust
    Phil
    After using the X1T now for a while i find it to be a little hard to read at times and somewhat fiddly, certainly does the job though. Just based on the pictures for fully off camera setups the new Pro just looks like it will be easier to read and less fiddly.
    I see that both would be useful and i'll keep the X1T for the times i use the FL50 on camera with the two V860's off camera

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Repp

Jan 27, 2011
    Oak Harbor, WA
    I honestly don't like the x1t very much at all, i only picked it up to see if it was more consistent with my GX8 than the xt16 and tt350, which it thankfully is. But the xt16 (and older ft16) is such an easier trigger to use!

10. Plumballs

Plumballs Mu-43 Veteran Subscribing Member

Jul 11, 2014
    Whitchurch, Hampshire
    Phil
    Hi Guys,

Will these triggers work with the EM10 Mk1 or will I need to trick the system with a FL-600R or something similar?

Thanks

Phil

Last edited: Sep 13, 2017
  11. Repp

Jan 27, 2011
    Oak Harbor, WA
    I don't believe the original EM10 is supported, but neither is my GX8. Works fairly well for On/Off Camera TTL. HSS in manual mode off camera is finicky, but still works fairly well. On of the things to remember is this is a fairly new system, M43 support has only been out for a few months now, and full cross platform TTL/HSS is a fairly new feature at that. There will be bugs, but Godox is fairly good at getting firmware out and updating their gear. Though it is also worth noting that we m43 users are probably at the bottom of the priority vs the other brands and even then it will likely be focused on newer cameras first.

12. esoxhntr

esoxhntr Mu-43 Regular

Jun 6, 2017
    grand valley, on
    The x1t works with my em10 mk i just fine. (As do the tt350 and tt600 [on and off camera])

• Informative Informative x 2
  13. Clint

Clint Mu-43 All-Pro Subscribing Member

Apr 22, 2013
    San Diego area, CA
    Clint
    I hope you're not an FC! LOL

14. inkista

inkista Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 13, 2012
    San Diego, CA
  15. inkista

inkista Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 13, 2012
    San Diego, CA
    Robert Hall did an in-hand review of the XPro-C (which is tough for him, since he only shoots Nikon and doesn't have a Canon body):

He seems to have hit all the highlights, although it's slightly amusing he doesn't know what the ID codes are for, since that's a standard feature with Canon's -RT triggering. It's a way of creating virtual channels, to avoid interference with other folks using the same trigger combination nearby. No more need for PocketWizard custom IDs if you're going to the Olympics! [grin]. A two-digit code means that with 32 RF channels, you have 3,200 possible virtual channels to choose from. A little odd they didn't go for a four-digit code, since that's what -RT uses.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2017
  16. Yohan Pamudji

Yohan Pamudji Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 21, 2012
    Mississippi, USA
    Figures I find out about a new Godox TTL trigger right after I get my X1T-O in.

What don't you like about the X1T? Just got mine in so I haven't had a chance to use it for an actual shoot, but it seemed quite intuitive and easy to use to me. Put group A in TTL mode, turned on the off-camera TT685o in slave mode, and fired away without any problems. TTL looked pretty much spot on and FEC on-camera worked great.

The XPro looks cool but at a glance it looks like it primarily brings the TT685 interface to the trigger form factor and loses the passthrough as the 2 main changes. If one gets on fine with the X1T, not sure the XPro offers much enticement to upgrade, although at a measly $69 I'm sure I'll get it to play with. Worst case it'll be a capable backup to my X1T.

TCM sounds intriguing though. That's one thing I'd love to try out as it would combine the convenience and setup speed of TTL with the repeatability of Manual if it works properly. Sounds like an incredible feature if it works as advertised.

17. Mike Wingate

Mike Wingate Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 21, 2017
    Altrincham
    Mike Wingate
    I like the idea of the hot shoe on top of the X1t, with the ability to mount a flash gun above the camera if I want.

18. Repp

Jan 27, 2011
    Oak Harbor, WA
    The one problem with the hotshoe on the X1T is that for m43, it doesn't have ttl/hss pass through. So if it comes to the point of needing an on camera flash, I wonder if it's better to just have a flash like the v860ii-O and have it act as the master, or try something like the new A-1 with cellphone control?

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. CyVan

Mar 9, 2016
    Jamaica
    That's exactly the situation I found myself in a couple days ago. I was shooting a surprise marriage proposal for a friend of mine. He had set up an elaborate production that would have his fiancee walking thru a guest house , visiting rooms with congratulatory videos and friends/family in each room , before finally being led to the balcony where he'd propose to her in front of a sunset.
    I was there to record it in pictures. So I set up my AD200 and 45" Wescott Umbrella by the balcony:

upload_2017-10-3_12-50-6.
    Test shot. I pulled it back much further behind the door before the actual proposal

I set it up with my X1T on-camera. But afterwards I realised I needed to walk thru the house with the fiancee recording her reactions and other guests etc run-gun style with my TT685. At first I mounted the TT685 on top of the X1T's hotshoe but I didn't like how shaky it looked. But I didn't want to take the X1T controlling the AD200 off my camera because I'd only have seconds between run and gun and the fiancee getting to the balcony and I didn't want to be fiddling with the trigger then.

But then I remembered that the TT685 can be a master as well , so I took it off and removed the X1T, configured the TT685, on-camera, with the same settings to control the AD200 when in master mode and then switched it to TTL mode for the run and gun. As it got darker I would periodically switch to master mode to turn the AD200 down so as not to overexpose the shot. Went from 1/4 to around 1/64th when the time actually came. Got great shots of the bride-to-be in each room etc and as soon as she made her way downstairs immediately switched to master mode and caught all the relevant moments for the proposal with the AD200. Worked perfectly.

After all that was done I created a lil photo booth with the AD200/Umbrella as the key light and the TT685, off-camera, in slave mode, on a lightstand behind as a hair light, all controlled with the X1T on-camera. Took posed group shots etc with that.

The whole thing went very smoothly. I love Godox :D

• Like Like x 2
  20. inkista

inkista Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 13, 2012
    San Diego, CA
    I'm not an X1T owner (I've been waiting to see what the rumored upgrade would look like), but most of the complaints have been that the dial is kind of a PITA and hard to use with gloves on, there's a lag with setting changes, that you can't see all five groups at once, and that the form factor means you can inadvertently change settings by bumping your forehead against it if you're a right-eyed shooter.

For me, as a Canon shooter, there's also the fact that with an X1T-C, I won't have Gr mode control (the ability to set groups individually into either M or TTL mode, and to turn groups on and off) if I use a pre-2012 body (which both my Canon bodies are), or group zoom control—both features I already have with my YN-622s.

Flash Havoc listed the significant changes as:
    • Large Dot Matrix LCD Screen Displaying 5 Groups
    • 5 Individual Dedicated Group Buttons
    • Display Zoom – Displays One Group Larger with More Details
    • TCM Function – TTL – CONVERT – MANUAL
    • Flash Head Zoom Control Interface – by Group
    • Modelling Light Control – by Group (Currently On /Off Only)
    • Global Adjustment of Group Power Levels (ALL Button)
    • Large Graphic Menu System with Multiple Custom Functions
    The other 622 features that for me that are still "missing" are the ability to use tail sync as well as HSS, and for the on-camera transmitter to simultaneously be a shutter-release receiver as well as flash master, with the appropriate timing delays. Neither of which is a have-to-have, just a nice-to-have.

It's interesting, too, to see Godox add the ID codes for those who are missing features from the YN/Canon -RT gear. The swapping of LCD backlight colors for master/slave modes is straight off the 600EX-RT.

What I love about TCM is that it's further evidence to support my personal characterization of Godox as the poor man's Profoto (the AD600, to me, is a poor man's B1). The Profoto Hybrid-TTL feature was something I lusted after as soon as I saw a Profoto video with Joe McNally demonstrating how he used it with his B1s. A lot of Strobist shooters dis TTL all the time, but TTL can make iso/aperture changes "transparent", which can be useful when you're playing around with camera settings on the fly.

Yongnuo, in contrast, is basically a poor man's Canon. Which is terrific if you're a Canon shooter. But not so much if you're not or want to use studio strobes.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2017