picking up a second body

Discussion in 'This or That?' started by dixeyk, Aug 4, 2011.

1. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    As many of you may know I am a big fan of the G2. I have one and think it's great. I also have had an E-P1 and E-PL1 but neither of them quite worked as a second body. What I am looking for is something I can grab, throw on full auto and go. I want it to be inconspicuous. My old LX3 was great for that (yes I realize I could simply get another LX3 but I'd like something that I can use my Panasonic 20 and 40 with).

Right now I am considering a Panasonic GF2 and an Olympus E-PL2 (with an LX3 as a fallback). We have E-PL2's in my lab have GF2's for checkout on campus. I am finding I quite like the GF2's handling (makes sense...it's a lot like my G2 so it's familiar). The IQ is the same and true HD video is a nice bonus. It's also REALLY small. It's seems to be barely bigger than my LX3 was. I liked the E-P1 quite a lot but the fact that I could not put any sort of EVF ended up being enough of an impediment that I did not use it. Also, it's iAuto AF was and not really what I was after. It excels if you are going to take time with it and it took some great shots for me but that is not what I am looking for in a second body. I have played with the E-PL1 at the lab quite a lot and it seems quicker than the E-P1 (and E-PL1 as well) and the nicer LCD is helpful.

Right now I am leaning toward the GF2. I like the smaller size and the similarity to the G2 makes it very simple to use. I feel like the E-PL2 give me more flexibility but in all honesty for more serious stuff I'll go with the G2. Things like IBIS, the VF2 and such don't mean anything to me. IQ isn't an issue either...if it's as good as the G2 and better than an LX3 then I'm good. I want quick, decent low light and easy to use.

Any suggestions?
  2. hathi

hathi Mu-43 Rookie

Jun 10, 2011
    Philadelphia PA USA
    I have the GF2 as my 'primary' body and love it. With a pancake it fits nicely in a neoprene case in my backpack or in the pocket of a jacket. I tried the Olympus bodies when I was shopping, but I thought they were too tall to fit nicely in the hands. Obviously a personal preference. Would one of the newer bodies, like the E-PM, be even better?

Word up on being from Bellingham. I'm a Sehome graduate, grew up on the South Side.
  3. Photorx12

Photorx12 Mu-43 Regular

May 11, 2011
    Follow your gut, if you like your G2 then you will probably enjoy the GF2 as well. I ordered a GF2 as well, but I kept thinking of the EP3 after temporarly owning a EP1. So now I have a GF2 on its way and a EP3 coming as well and will have to let go the the gf2. If you can play with a GF2 at a store and see how it fell in you hands. That is how I got sold on the EP3, by test driving it. you will heare different opinions, but at the end of the day it comes down to how it works for you. Oh, Alan has a good deal going on for a brand new GF2 with a lens too. Good luck with whatever you choose.
  4. dixeyk

Aug 9, 2010
    +1 for the city of subdued excitement :biggrin:

I hear you...I am finding the GF2 (I checked one out form campus) fits the had nicely and would drop into my backpack or what-have-you and not take up too much space.
  5. dixeyk

Aug 9, 2010

Yeah, I'm really considering that GF2 Alan has...it's very tempting
  6. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
  7. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    If you like the G2 ... you'd probably love the G3 ... with employment and photography, make every move upward.

8. dixeyk

Aug 9, 2010
    Nice to know... probably not what I'm looking for at the momment but something to keep an eye on. In truth I am not so much a "Panasonic" person as I have found I really like the G2. It suits me. The funny thing is that almost all of my legacy glass is OM and PEN-F glass.
  9. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    I agree with the GF-2. I'm a pretty big fan of the E-PL2 but any reason I would mention to get it you've already said won't matter so much to you. If you're used to using the G2 all the time, the GF-2 should be a more familiar system to pick up and go with. And the solid metal body of the GF-2 has a real nice feel to it. :)
  10. dixeyk

Aug 9, 2010
    I think if I were replacing the G2 the E-PL2 would be a great option but for what I want this camera to do I think the GF2 makes a bit more sense.
  11. dixeyk

Aug 9, 2010
    Yes I will...but that is for another time.
  12. Luckypenguin

Luckypenguin .

Oct 9, 2010
    Brisbane, Australia
    I hear that there's a few silver GF2s around the traps at the moment...
  13. dixeyk

Aug 9, 2010
    Yep...I just grabbed Alan's.
  14. dixeyk

Aug 9, 2010
    Thanks all for the help. I went with the GF2. It'll do what I want quite nicely. Basically I'm treating at as an alternative to an LX3 but I get to use my lenses. The fact that I'm used to the G2 is also nice because of my familiarity with it.