1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Picked up the EPL1 finally!

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Manac69, Dec 15, 2011.

1. Manac69

Manac69 New to Mu-43

Dec 13, 2011
    Houston
    So I know I'm a little late to the game, but I went for the Costco deal for $400:
    Olympus E-PL1 PEN Digital Camera Body
    M.Zuiko 14-42mm f3.5-5.6 II Lens
    M.Zuiko 40-150mm f4.0-5.6 Lens
    Olympus Case
    4GB SDHC Card
    Li-ion Battery Battery Charger
    After doing some research, I think this is the better deal, since I'm upgrading from a P&S and I still have a alot to learn about it too. So far I'm loving this camera.
    I also picked up the olympus PL1 for dummies book, I think it's alot better then the manual it came with.

• Like Like x 1
  2. dpj

dpj Mu-43 Regular

Jul 20, 2011
    Awesome deal you got. I love my E-PL1, after coming across from DSLR's it is nice to have something compact that i can throw in a bag and go ride my bike with. Enjoy it, and get posting some pics, Darren ;D

3. MajorMagee

MajorMagee Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2011
    Dayton, OH
    Make sure you turn on the Super Control Panel, and you'll have yourself a powerful little camera set-up.

4. Bhupinder2002

Bhupinder2002 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Congrats for picking up this great camera. I loved my EPL1 and still miss it. This camera one of the best image quality. I would suggest u to spare some money and add panasonic 20 mm 1.7 lens on it. Here are few shots with my EPL1

be7113218c47587ad57a59c0ba67754b_4be. P9263722_1_1. PC043891.JPG

5. ean10775

ean10775 Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 31, 2011
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Eric
    Whether considered by some to be long in the tooth or not, the E-PL1 is still a great little camera and I'm sure you'll love it, especially coming from a P+S. Coming from a full-frame DSLR I was worried I wouldn't like the all button interface, but truth be told, it really doesn't bother me - and I shoot mostly with legacy lenses. I also second the advice about learning to use the SuperControlPanel - It really is the easiest way to control the camera if you're in anything other than the iAuto mode. Welcome and enjoy!

6. Dave Jenkins

Dave Jenkins Mu-43 Veteran

What's with the "long in the tooth" bit? The E-PL1 is as good a camera as it ever was. Being superseded by later models does not make it a worse camera.

7. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    You're fine:smile:
    And you've got a couple of lenses to keep you busy for a while too...:smile:

8. Manac69

Manac69 New to Mu-43

Dec 13, 2011
    Houston
    So far the camera is exceding all expectations and I did learn about the SCP from the "Dummies" book, thx for the headsup MajorMagee. As far as the shutter speed, I dont know what the big complait is about, it didnt seem laggy for me, the action shots I took at the Texans game this past sunday was alot better than expected. Thanks for all the input from everybody, this is one of the best forums, that I have been on. I'll try to load up some of the pics I took over the weekend, later on. :2thumbs:

9. semifast

semifast New to Mu-43

Feb 10, 2012
    I'm trying to find out for sure if the Olympus E-PL1 2 lens bundle from Costco includes the newer version of the 14-42 lens, the mark II. From your post it sounds like it does. Does the lens have "MSC" on it or "ED" ?

10. tamato

tamato New to Mu-43

Jan 26, 2012
    I got the Costco deal on the EPL1 a couple weeks ago. It dropped to $379.00 I couldn't resist. The 14-42 that came with my kit is "ED" that's the old one isn't it? Just got the Panny 20mm though and I love it!

• Like Like x 1
  11. Manac69

Manac69 New to Mu-43

Dec 13, 2011
    Houston
    Sorry so late about responding, and but as Tamato said, I got the "ED" lens too. :-(

12. Grinch

Grinch Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 9, 2011
    Canada
    You got the ED...who cares at the price you paid you could sell it all piece by piece here and still come out ahead. That's a great set up to start with, I originally started with an E-PL1 and sold it to a buddy who now aso has the m43 bug. It's a great little camera, and is built like a tank. Congrats!!!

13. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Correct. That's the funny thing about this lens.. normally ED (Extra-Low Dispersion) elements are an "upgrade' to Aspherical, although Aspherical does have the advantage of handling wide-angle distortion better. In the case of this lens however, they moved from ED to Aspherical and seemed to improve the lens slightly in every way. It kinda goes against the rules, but works! :)

The original ED lens was certainly not bad though. The new one is just a little better but mostly in terms of silent focus, more solid front barrel, and lack of rotation in focusing (good for polarizers and petal hoods). The difference in quality of image is unnoticeable.

14. asaulo1

asaulo1 Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 21, 2012
    I got mine this past weekend and am slowly being sucked into lens mania.... picked up a pana 14mm f/2.5 off ebay, canon fd 135mm with adapter, c mount adapter and 35mm cctv lens and canon eos lens adapter... a lot of fun playing around with all these toys..... just a great piece of kit for the price...

15. Bhupinder2002

Bhupinder2002 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Its a beautiful camera and takes better pics than Leica M8 upto ISO 1600 .I still like the JPEG engine of this gem . Even the kit lens performs very well in outdoor. Now Panny 20 mm is an excellent lens as well .U are all set to go..Now go and shoot some pics ..
    Cheers
    Bhupinder