Picked up an EPM2 and I like it a lot (plenty of pics)

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by emptysensor, Jun 16, 2013.

1. emptysensor

emptysensor Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 8, 2011
    Virginia
    Joe
    Both Newton's Fourth Law and the Fourth Law of Thermodynamics state that any money obtained from the sale of guitar and photo equipment must be reinvested in the same pursuit so as not to upset the forces of nature. Or so I tell my wife. So in order not to mess something up, when I sold off my D7000 and remaining lens I had to spend the money on camera stuff, specifically m43's. So I got a lens and an EPM2. I took a few shots inside with my 7-14, and got a lot of the dreaded purple blobs (John Grigg's analysis about this is very good and spot on) with the new body. Needless to say I was thinking I should send it back and use the GX1 as my smaller, easy to carry body, especially with the 7-14. I figured I'd give the mini a try outside anyway as we were going to visit my stepson and his wife to see their new puppies. I was really happy with how small it was and how easy it was to carry the body, a 20mm, and a 14-45. To make a long story short, I ended up really liking it, and it will be taking a place alongside my other bodies for the foreseeable future.

[​IMG]

9060762755_8bed3a468a_b.

9062992432_462947052c_c.

9060763811_caef55fbf3_b.

9062993990_11ab426a30_c.

9062994288_fafd9e2f06_b.

2. Mellow

Mellow Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 27, 2010
    Florida or Idaho
    Tom
    Joe,
    Those are great pics; I especially like #'s 1, 3, and 7.
    I too love the PM2. I also have an OMD, but I end up using the PM2 more often because it's just so darn easy to carry. It was an upgrade from the PM1, and the additional buttons and touch-screen make all the difference in the world.

Did I say I love my PM2?

3. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    I'm sorry, but only Fuji's are allowed to do saturated colors. You must have mistaken an XE1 for an EPM2 ;)

Great shots, and I think I'm going to pick one up, to marry it to my pancake lens. (leave the OMD for the larger lenses)

4. Dalton

Dalton Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 24, 2010
    Portland, Oregon USA
    Dan Ferrall
    Nice color and contrast...

That sensor is pretty good even at the price of an E-PM2. What an incredible value!
    Dan
    Portland, Oregon

5. emptysensor

Dec 8, 2011
    Virginia
    Joe
    Thanks all. Mellow, I was surprised that the size seemed significantly smaller than the GX1, and the 20mm actually seems kind of big on it. WT21, the menu structure seems very similar to the EM5 other than maybe the first pick or so. They're very similar to work through. Dalton, the original shot of the girl on stilts was terrible and I was able to pull up the shadows a lot to make a decent shot out of it.

6. atom

atom Mu-43 Regular

Jul 20, 2010
    Ontario, Canada
    Great looking colours.

7. Dalton

Dalton Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 24, 2010
    Portland, Oregon USA
    Dan Ferrall
    I think I like the first one best for some reason. It just has some nicer tonality overall. You did well.
    Dan (Dalton)

8. emptysensor

Dec 8, 2011
    Virginia
    Joe
    Thanks Dan. I guess my workflow seems to go well with the new sensor, since it seems to take me a little more work to get the GX1 stuff where I like it. Regardless I think both sensors have their strong points.

9. Mellow

Mellow Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 27, 2010
    Florida or Idaho
    Tom
    I agree. My actual upgrade path was for my 'small' m43 camera: PM1 -> GX1 -> PM2. The GX1 is a really nice camera--so solid in so many ways--but it's notably larger than the Olys and I found myself missing some favorite features. My only gripe about the PM2 is the grip--I wish they'd just left it off. The one they included is OK, but just OK, and nowhere near as nice as the Freniac grip I mounted on my PM1.

The IBIS seems more useful than the one on the PM1 too, and WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY better than the IBIS on the GX1. :wink:

10. emptysensor

Dec 8, 2011
    Virginia
    Joe
    I actually kind of like the grip on the EPM2, but I haven't tried the other on the PM1. I've heard some criticism of the IBIS on the EPM2, but it seemed like it was working pretty well to me. I have a hard time parting with stuff I like so for now the GX1 is my "in between" small body. Maybe I'm kind of slow but I still haven't figured out how to turn on the IBIS on the GX1. Must be a menu pick I've overlooked :)

11. monk3y

monk3y Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 14, 2013
    in The Cloud...
    Steven
    I just pulled the trigger on one... gonna use it along side my E-M5.

I think it's awesome!!! Can't wait for it to arrive tom.

12. emptysensor

Dec 8, 2011
    Virginia
    Joe
    They make a great pair. It's nice when you want to take something really small and not compromise image quality.

13. monk3y

May 14, 2013
    in The Cloud...
    Steven
    Yeah, I already know the IQ is gonna be good but while I was testing the handling a while back I was pretty surprised it was not that bad at all. I really like the location of the record button and the fact that you could assign back-button focusing to it. There's enough buttons to assign the basics too.

I have a good feeling I will carry it more than the OM-D.

14. monk3y

May 14, 2013
    in The Cloud...
    Steven
    Amazing Amazon, took them just 12 hours to deliver the camera.

The E-PM2
    p1618500447-5.

and one of the first shot I took with the E-PM2 :biggrin:
    p1743728410-5.

15. Bhupinder2002

Bhupinder2002 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Stunning images... Keep the good work ..:2thumbs:

16. bipinsnair

bipinsnair Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 7, 2012
    Herndon, VA
    Bipin Nair
    Great Photos Joe.

By any chance, did you take those at Reston town centre in Northern Virginia ?

I live just couple of miles from that place and it certainly looks to be Reston, but quite not sure :)

17. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    #7 should be copied in the dogs thread. That's just a great image.

18. emptysensor

Dec 8, 2011
    Virginia
    Joe
    Yeah, it was Reston. I live in Fredericksburg though.