Picked Up an E-PM1 Today

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Biro, Sep 29, 2011.

1. Biro

Biro Mu-43 All-Pro

May 8, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    Steve
    I just got back to my office from ********** in New York a few minutes ago. With me is a brand-new Olympus E-PM1 in black. Because I already have the Panasonic G3 on the way, making this my second :43: body, external controls are not as important to me with this camera. I'll be using my Lumix 14mm and 20mm pancake primes on it most of the time and it will essentially replace my Panasonic LX3.

Just some quick points for those considering this camera or the E-PL3:

1) As I've mentioned in other posts, the E-PM1's menu-based controls are much easier to access and work than many might think. If you are worried about this, I wouldn't be.

2) The overall handling of this camera is also better than many might think. I personally like it the way it is without any aftermarket grip. But adding one would be very simple and inexpensive.

3) If you really prefer the E-PL3 but are worried about it being too big, again I wouldn't worry about it. The size of the E-PL3 and E-PM1 is virtually identical in every practical sense. Yes, the moveable rear LCD on the E-PL3 does make that camera just a bit thicker... but you can get that camera into any pocket you can get the E-PM1 into. Your lens will be the determining factor for size here. For me, the $200 price difference and the fact that this won't be my only :43: body made the E-PM1 a no-brainer for me. Good luck to anyone shopping these cameras.

• Like Like x 2
  2. MrDoug

MrDoug Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 5, 2011
    Boise, Idaho
    Mine is to arrive today!

3. Biro

Biro Mu-43 All-Pro

May 8, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    Steve
    Gad! You will have hit the Olympus 3-series trifecta!

4. MrDoug

MrDoug Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 5, 2011
    Boise, Idaho
    Yes, I hit the Trifecta! am I crazy or what? I just had to try then all to see! Like I said, I have GAS big time.. it's fun though.. better than Drugs or Bars.. LOL.. I love the IQ of Oly vs anything I have ever had.. especially JPEGS.. I will probably sell one of the three after checking them out. I also like the fact I can have different lenses on them and pick the body without switching glass around.. convience factor..not smart though money wise..:smile:

5. Armanius

Armanius Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 23, 2010
    Houston
    Muttley
    Mr Doug, better not light a match near you!! There might be an explosion!

• Like Like x 1
  6. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Armando knows a thing or two about GAS :smile:.

7. Grinch

Grinch Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 9, 2011
    Canada
    Mr Doug has a more unique form of GAS, he is what is known as a BODY SNATCHER. This is a rarer form of GAS, the more common affliction is the LENS LUSTER also called a GLASS ATTACK.

8. Armanius

Armanius Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 23, 2010
    Houston
    Muttley
    The fire department issued a citation to me for being a walking fire hazard. :)

Speaking of GAS, finally picked up an EP3. Should arrive today. Looking forward to seeing Oly's world's fastest AF against the GH2.

9. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
  10. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2010
    Near Philadephila
    A little faster with some lenses, not quite as fast with others, but basically about the same. All of the new m43 cams (since the GH2) have incredible AF. Amazed at how far its come in a year...

-Ray

• Like Like x 1
  11. M4/3

M4/3 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 24, 2011
    Ditto here. I have a Canon T3i DSLR, but I only use it for video as it cannot produce jpegs that have the same clarity and lifelike yet vivid colors of my Oly E-PL1. I'm even thinking of selling the T3i and using the money to buy an Oly E-P3 since the video of the E-P3 is improved over the E-PL1 and E-PL2 and I much prefer the size of M4/3rds cameras.

12. Biro

Biro Mu-43 All-Pro

May 8, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    Steve
    Well, it'll be interesting to have both a Panny and an Oly in the micro four-thirds system again - just as I used to have both a G1 and an E-PL1. Before buying the E-PM1, I played with the E-P3 for a bit. It's a really nice piece. If I am not pleased with the G3 (although there's no reason to think that'll be the case at this point), I wouldn't rule out an E-P3 as it now has not only the latest focusing and image processing but a built-in flash as well.