Picked up an E-M5 mk III after all

PakkyT

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
It took me forever to figure out that the settings for sharpening, contrast and graduation were buried under the Natural picture mode.
One thing to keep in mind is that each picture mode setting (natural, vivid, etc.) have different default settings for those things. And then Olympus set those defaults to +/-0. So when you apply a -1 to sharpening for example, you are applying -1 to the default setting for that mode, not an absolute value of -1. So if Natural mode has a "default" setting of, just pulling numbers out of my arse, +1 on natural, then you biasing it -1 will give an absolute value of 0.

Likewise, setting -1 on sharpness for every mode will tone them all down by 1, but each mode may be very different with the absolute value used for sharpening. -1 for natural is probably more sharpening then -1 for e-Portrait which likely started off with a little less sharpening.

Darmok N Jalad

Temba, his aperture wide
Real Name
Randy
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Alright, those post-processing adjustments seem to have made a big improvement. I also took the advice of @3dpan and set the front button to magnify for fine tune zooming. I went out on a butterfly expedition and, despite a steady breeze, was able to up my keeper rate considerably. Even then, it wasn’t that the camera missed focus, as butterflies are big and you don’t usually get them all in focus (or at least I don’t). I usually only keep the ones where the head is in focus, and you get some wing. The IQ is much better on everything though. A sample:
1594579301188.jpeg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

PakkyT

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
John’s recommendation from page 1.

noise filter = low
sharpening = -1
saturation = natural
contrast = -1 and
gradation = normal
I will have to give it a try as well. I think my sharpening and contrast are both at 0 for "natural" mode. Easy test to shoot a couple shots of a few things with both and see if I like it better. I shoot RAW so normally these can be easily changes in post, but I do like to try and get it right as I can straight out of the camera as I don't like to spend a lot of time post processing photos.

saladin

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
jason
And I'm not far away either, 3152.
Mate with the current CV lock-down Wantirna could be on the other side of the world! :crying:
[/QUOTE]

True. I'm a little more fortunate, as a tradie I'm able to move about for some work at least.

Darmok N Jalad

Temba, his aperture wide
Real Name
Randy
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Well, I think I’ve made up my mind, and, like I said, I don’t need 2 bodies. The E-M5 will be my keeper, and I think I have adapted to the smaller size really well, so the G9 is going on the market. She’s served me well, but I’d rather give her a good home than a dark closet.

Glad that you are happy with your new camera, Randy.

I never sell anything.

Don't know why. :hmmm:
Wish I could say the same John but I'm such an impulsive buyer of gear I'd have a garage full by now.
And gee....it would mean I'd still have my old, unforgettable, Ricoh Mirai!

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom