1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Picked up a QX100

Discussion in 'Other Systems' started by tuanies, Sep 27, 2013.

1. tuanies

tuanies Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 13, 2011
    Graham, WA
    Tuan Huynh
    I'm starting to think following Kenmore Camera on Facebook is a very bad idea. Saw they just got them in yesterday while I was shooting my Equus press car and helping my friend film for DrivingSports.TV. I was close by so stopped by to check it out - they had a GX7 and E-M1 too but those sold before I got there, fortunately for my bank account.

Played with the QX100 a bit and walked out with it. Haven't had time to shoot too many things yet but my initial impressions are good. It's pretty compact and good build quality. The Playmemories app is a bit lacking but I'm hoping Camera360 will address the lack of manual controls when that's ready.

My major gripe is the inability to set your own WiFi password. It is printed on the back of the battery compartment but I'd rather set my own. Otherwise NFC works great (with my HTC One at least). Just launch the Playmemories app, turn on the QX100 and tap it against your phone to get it to connect. You only have to enter the WiFi password the first time you connect it.

I don't notice any lag issues but I have it save images to the camera only and I manually select which images I want to copy over.

It does look a little bit silly attached to my phone but doesn't bother me that much. I'm trying to think of new ways to photograph my children why they're sleeping without having to crouch and get into awkward positions. Also dug out my tiny Joby Gorilla pod that's perfect for it.

This will be my main travel camera now when I go to tradeshows and automotive launch events since its perfectly adequate for my day-time photography needs. My GH3 will still be my main camera though - the QX100 is a toy for my wife and I :).

Here's the only sample shot I have from it.

9970126025_0ceb772143_c.
    qx100 test by tuanies, on Flickr

Let me know if you guys have any questions / concerns of it. I think its a cool concept and just had to give it a shot since I found the camera in my HTC One a bit disappointing.

• Like Like x 2
  2. phigmov

phigmov Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 4, 2010
    I'm intrigued by the concept - I think we'll see this clipped to many more things than a phone.

A bit like the GoPro, the options are nearly limitless (headband, shoulder strap, waist belt, hand-held etc).

3. carpandean

carpandean Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 29, 2010
    Western NY
    I just don't get the concept. From an engineering/design standpoint, it is neat. However, from a practical standpoint, I don't see it. The single most important dimension for pocketability is thickness. There are very thin stand-alone equivalents to both of the QX models for just slightly more $, so what is the advantage? Why would I want a QX100 that doesn't fit in a pocket when I can get an RX100 that does? If I'm willing to deal with the QX100, then I'd rather bring :43: body with a fast prime and/or my 14-42X.

Enjoy it. As I said, it's neat. But definitely let me know if your actual experience contrasts any of my initial feelings.

4. flash

flash Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 29, 2010
    1 hour from Sydney Australia.
    Gordon
    Yeah, but you can't remote shoot a RX100. I think users will spend more time with the "camera" unattached to a phone and getting into some pretty impossible angles and stuff. Plus no camera has an LCD like my Note2.

I'm very intrigued and I'd love to see some more images and opinions.

Gordon

5. Dduval

Dduval Mu-43 Regular

Aug 13, 2013
    Orlando, FL
    This is a very interesting concept, I'm curious how well they will sell...They do seem to have the fun factor for sure, enjoy!

6. tuanies

tuanies Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 13, 2011
    Graham, WA
    Tuan Huynh
    The ability to remote shoot is the big feature. Also its not pocketable but still a lot less to bring along with me for travels. Now I'll just pack my iPad + QX100 + my phone + two micro USB cables and Lightning cable instead of the old GH3 + a handful of lenses + laptop + phone + chargers / misc cables.

I want something better than my smartphone camera that I can still pop on a Joby and fire the shutter off remotely so i don't end up in the reflection of a car.

Here's a couple more sample shots from the camera. The colors and everything are straight out of the camera, I may have done some tweaking to straighten / crop the images on my phone before uploading though. The shutter kept dropping to 1/30, which is why I wish it had RAW + manual controls so I could just under expose and post process in Lightroom.

9975536315_efbbba1662_c.

9975422405_aec26894c3_c.

9975392595_08c4c69e00_c.

• Like Like x 1
  7. usayit

usayit Mu-43 Hall of Famer

This is my same assessment. Great idea... not so sure about implementation of the idea. QX100 is also less featured than the RX100, no RAW and limited exposure control features. The Wifi connectivity via PlayMemories to my WX300 works reasonably well (I use it a lot) BUT not all of the features are transposed to the app. The app is pretty darn simplistic.

From a logistics point of view... while the next guy whips out a camera, the QX100 user would be busy attaching and connecting.. missing the opportunity for a good shot.

From a sharing connectivity point of view... its no where close to being integrated to the phone like a phone's built-in camera. You still need to shoot, store, open the photo in your favorite app, process, and then share. Its a multistep process. The wifi connectivity just simplifies transfering the files to your smartphone but does not simplify the workflow.

IMO, Samsung is on the right track with their Galaxy camera and their Galaxy S4 zoom. Still unrefined.. yes... but integrate.. integrate.. integrate is the trend in technology these days (case in point.. demise of the stand alone PDA)

8. usayit

You can't???

From Sony website:

"Touch your Android™ smartphone or tablet to the camera to create a connection. No setup is required beyond downloading the free PlayMemories Mobile app to your device. Made possible by NFC™ technology, once connected, you can remotely control the camera's shutter release from your mobile device and instantly receive the captured image via Wi-Fi®."

It works fine with my WX300. I use it quite a few times already.

9. nathan_h

nathan_h Mu-43 Regular

Jan 23, 2013
    Nope.

10. usayit

Wow.. that sucks. Guess the website is wrong...

11. darosk

darosk Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 17, 2013
    Kota Kinabalu, Malaysia
    Daros
    Pretty neat idea but I'm in agreement with most of the assessments here. Seems impractical - though I'm sure it's a fun piece of kit.

12. dagaleaa

dagaleaa Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 4, 2011
    Naples, Fl
    Dawn
    I upgraded my phone to the Nokia 1020, and I am very pleased with it. This did not appeal to me, but the photos seem nice. I heard it does not play well with the Iphone either... You really need a phone with NFC abilities.

13. tuanies

tuanies Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 13, 2011
    Graham, WA
    Tuan Huynh
    It plays with the iPhone but you have to manually connect it every time. With NFC you just launch the PlayMemories app, turn on the QX100 and tap the NFC and it will detect / attempt to connect.

Nokia 1020 is nice but not available on Verizon.

Its a fun piece. I'm just glad Sony is trying to innovate and think outside the box where Canon and Nikon are just being lazy.

14. nathan_h

nathan_h Mu-43 Regular

Jan 23, 2013
    Well, let's make sure we are talking about the same thing.

flash wrote:
    and you wrote:
    The QX100 has remote capability, the RX100-II has wireless, but not the RX100 does not.

15. tuanies

tuanies Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 13, 2011
    Graham, WA
    Tuan Huynh
    Here's a couple more shots, seems like I'm the only one that bought one of these :D

Fun family photo
    10022268445_ffdfd5811e_c.
    DSC00121 by tuanies, on Flickr

Selfie
    10022221814_bb59e3862d_c.
    DSC00107 by tuanies, on Flickr

10022263815_cbba7de618_c.
    DSC00101 by tuanies, on Flickr

10022339763_5d7af365d4_c.
    DSC00069 by tuanies, on Flickr

10022253295_c5b2ddc806_c.
    DSC00057 by tuanies, on Flickr

I'm really dying for full manual controls, it would make things better. Also RAW would help immensely. Otherwise I'm quite happy with my purchase, its a fun toy. Not as good as my GH3 but good enough where I can bring it with me for events where its mostly day light. Will try to get some outside / daylight pictures today as well.

Attached Files: