Picked up a GF2

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by dixeyk, Jun 4, 2012.

1. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    Last week I was commenting on a thread and mentioned that I had really enjoyed my GF2. I had sold it several months back when I was thinning out my many camera bodies and replaced it with an E-PM1. As nice as the E-PM1 was it just never quite clicked with me. It was a bit too small for me and I found the odd sized LCD difficult for my 51 year old eyes to deal with. After thinking about it I started to get nostalgic over the GF2 and happend across a great deal on a mint RED GF2 for around $200. It arrived today and I am liking it quite a bit. I hadn't really planned to but one but the combination of money in my PayPal account and it being RED weakened my resistance. It's nice and quick to start up, the AF is fast with all my lenses and it makes a lovely small kit with my P14 or P20. I know it is not a particularly well loved camera body (then again I am a G2 fan so I seem to have a pattern going) but one of may all time favorite shots came from my previous GF2 so I guess IQ isn't everything :eek:

I'm looking forward to using it as a second body. Since I shoot a GH2 it's nice that the general control setup is familiar.

• Like Like x 1
  2. stratokaster

stratokaster Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 4, 2011
    Kyiv, Ukraine
    Pavel
    Congrats! Just be aware that the red paint chips off easily.

3. dixeyk

Aug 9, 2010
    Thanks, I thought it might be prone to chipping...but, it sure is cool looking. I had silver before and I definitely like the red better. This is my first camera with a splashy case.

4. stratokaster

stratokaster Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 4, 2011
    Kyiv, Ukraine
    Pavel
    Mine is almost new and yet I already have silver scratches in a couple of places even though I really care about my gear. Oh well, beauty is a passing thing... ;)

5. dixeyk

Aug 9, 2010
    Took the new red GF2 out for the walk home and I had a blast. It's a really fun camera. It's fast, easy to shoot, the controls are all pretty convenient and even the times I needed the touch screen went smoothly. I'd forgotten how fun this little camera can be...and how small it is. I paired it up with my P20 and just kept walking. I was most impressed with how great the JPEGs looked. I tweaked the color like I do when I want to shoot JPEGs on my GH2 (adjusted the AWB) and tweaked the color setting (too bad it doesn't have the film settings like the G2 and GH2). it's not going to replace my GH2 anytime soon but as a small camera to take on a quick trip or have with you all the time it's great.

My only real complaint is that I wish it had proper lugs as opposed to those point and shoot style squarish things it has. I used a shoulder strap instead of my Gordy strap (because it has a lug ring) and it was more in the way than anything else. Having recently had an E-PM1 I feel pretty confident in saying that I'd rather have the GF2 for a small take anywhere camera. Love that clickable thumbwheel.

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/dixeyk/7343558488/" title="Rose by dixeyk, on Flickr"> 7343558488_c3efa48706_b. "1024" height="684" alt="Rose"></a>

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/dixeyk/7158350561/" title="Light Iris by dixeyk, on Flickr"> 7158350561_c39d38948d_b. "684" height="1024" alt="Light Iris"></a>

• Like Like x 2
  6. spatulaboy

spatulaboy I'm not really here

Jul 13, 2011
    North Carolina
    Vin
    You guys amaze me with your constant selling and rebuying of cameras! Anyways the GF2 is a cool little cam, I got one for my gf, she loves it.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Kevin bought another camera? No way!

• Like Like x 1
  8. jloden

jloden Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 15, 2012
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    Jay
    Great camera IMO. It's what I started on and I honestly never felt it was letting me down in the IQ department. The major reason I made the jump to the G3 recently was for a stop or two better high ISO performance, but my GF2 has been very good to me and I plan on keeping it around.

9. dixeyk

Aug 9, 2010

:rofl:

Okay...guilty as charged. In my defense however, it was an impulse buy. I mean c'mon...it's RED!!!

I wonder if I can write that off as research?

• Like Like x 1
  10. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    Impulse buys are a killer - I just bought an E-P3 because I couldn't pass it up at the price. :rolleyes: Enjoy!

11. PR1Y35H

PR1Y35H Mu-43 Rookie

Apr 5, 2012
    That's awesome, I've also got a GF2 but I got the twin lens kit in sliver, didn't know they did one in red. I've been pleased with mine so far always giving great shots compared to my Pentax A30 compact camera. I've also ordered a UV filter for it as I'm going to be taking lots of pictures of cars as I go to the shows every year.

12. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    I more or less impulse bought the GF2 with the 14/2.5 as a kit because I wanted something capable and small to take along to Vegas (and my LX3 had been stolen). And then I impulse purchased the E-M5 because I couldn't pass up the kit sitting there at the Airport's Duty Free, for 'only' 1169 euros, about a week after release....

13. PR1Y35H

PR1Y35H Mu-43 Rookie

Apr 5, 2012
    I've just took some images in Raw and they don't seem to open in windows, do I need to put the software provided by Panasonic to view them or does anyone know anything to download for Raw viewing?

14. crsnydertx

crsnydertx Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 31, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Chuck
    I've heard that FastStone viewer (free) will handle that chore. Perhaps someone who knows for sure will chime in.

• Like Like x 1
  15. spatulaboy

spatulaboy I'm not really here

Jul 13, 2011
    North Carolina
    Vin
    picasa can open raw files as well.

• Like Like x 1
  16. PR1Y35H

PR1Y35H Mu-43 Rookie

Apr 5, 2012
    Thanks to all for letting know what software I'd need for opening Raw files. I can't believe how amazing the quality is and I'm really In general with my GF2 very happy as it always surprises me on the photo quality!

• Like Like x 1
  17. PR1Y35H

PR1Y35H Mu-43 Rookie

Apr 5, 2012
    Also just a quick one, I do alot of car shoots and was told to buy a UV filter. Anyway I ordered one and it has come, did I really need a UV filter?

18. dixeyk

Aug 9, 2010
    I have been very pleased with mine as well. I think it got a bad reputation for not being the camera every wanted it to be as the followup to the GF1. I think it's a superb camera and as good any of the Olympus bodies I have had. One of the things I like the best (aside from the clickable thumbwheel) is the ability to tweak the AWB. It's an easy cure for the rather coolish Panasonic default colors.

19. Llamaman

Llamaman New to Mu-43

Apr 20, 2012
    Not sure how a UV filter is going to help shoot cars. I'd have recommended a CPL filter to reduce reflections.

I'm not going to get into the pros and cons of UV filters as protection as it's a contentious issue and comes down to personal choice.