Picked up a GF2 for $200 today.

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by lenshoarder, Jan 16, 2012.

1. lenshoarder

lenshoarder Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 7, 2010
    Yes, I know it's the unloved runt of the Panny world but I couldn't pass it up at this price. I was at Best Buy looking for a clearance Samsung NX100 for $150 that I saw a few days ago. Of course it was gone today as was the $225 NEX 3. In it's place was a clearance GF2 14-42mm kit for $200. Best Buy clearance prices are crazy. They have a NEX 5 on clearance for $579 yet even on the clearance tag it says that it sold for $449 before going on clearance.

2. tetzumaru

tetzumaru Mu-43 Regular

Jan 10, 2012
    tetzu
    where is this bestbuy at? do they have any lens on clearance

3. Armanius

Armanius Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 23, 2010
    Houston
    Muttley
    Congrats on the deal!

4. bilzmale

bilzmale Mu-43 All-Pro

Nice pick up.

5. timothysoong

timothysoong Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 10, 2011
    Taipei, Taiwan
    nice deal, congrats!

6. NZUnicorn

NZUnicorn New to Mu-43

Oct 15, 2010
    I am not sure that there is a rational basis for the GF2 being so disliked.

I picked up one as a byproduct of buying a kit with 14mm and 45-200mm, for the same price as I would have paid for the lenses alone. I like the GF2 enough to be keeping it as a nice portable setup with 14mm, 20mm and 45mm. The G1 is better with the 45-200mm, and when needing a viewfinder or adjustable lcd, but the rest of the time the more compact GF2 is great to carry.

I am quite happy not to have a mode dial, as I usually use A mode. The odd time I need to change mode, the menu is very very quick to get to. And I never has accidental mode shift, like can happen with a physical dial.

7. moccaman

moccaman Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 4, 2012
    Australia
    Bludy bargain mate! :thumbup: I would have been happy with just a GF2 body brand new for 200 bucks!

8. lenshoarder

Nov 7, 2010
    I've never seen any M43 lenses on sale at BB.

You can check for clearances at your own Best Buy online. Just go to the store locator and find your store. On the left will be links to check the local open box and clearance inventories. Many times, they won't have these things out on the floor. If you go to the store and ask for them, someone will dig around until they find them.

9. taphapy

taphapy Mu-43 Regular

Jan 17, 2010
    Orange County, CA
    I love my GF2,
    Enjoy.

10. timothysoong

Aug 10, 2011
    Taipei, Taiwan
    I love mine too.. :)

11. -Swo0p

-Swo0p Mu-43 Rookie

Jan 16, 2012
    that is an absolute steal man. like someone else said $200 is impressive even if that was for the gf2 body alone...
    i cant find anything priced down that much at the stores in my area.. even for other cameras max is like 20% off

12. holmes6

holmes6 New to Mu-43

Jan 22, 2012
    This camera should have custom firmware released very soon that will really extend it's capabilities. For $200 with the ~$100 lens that could be resold it's a steal imo.

13. timothysoong

Aug 10, 2011
    Taipei, Taiwan
    agreed~

14. Vripper

Vripper Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 3, 2011
    I just went to my local Best Buy to see if they had any GF-2s on clearance. The salesman told me that all the remaining ones were sent back to Panasonic :(

15. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Too bad. The E-PL1 was also on clearance for $200 earlier. I would rather pick up a GF-2 for that price, personally.

16. battleaxe

battleaxe Mu-43 Top Veteran

Do you think their open box/demo models would cost the same(price wasn't listed), because that all could locate at my local Best Buy(and I have around 6 within short driving distance from me). I also saw the GF3 listed in the section. And in both section(clearance and demo) I've seen Panasonic and Olympus batteries(a few models listed), which I think the E-PL1/2 battery on there. I also saw the Oly 40-150mm(v.1) on there too, but again no price.

17. sohcsleeper

sohcsleeper Mu-43 Regular

Jan 4, 2012
    Fort Lauderdale, FL
    So I used the Best Buy website store search and there is a section to see what they have on Open Box. At one of the stores about 30min north of me was a floor model GF2 with only Body/Lens 14-42 for $189.99 and also a Sony Nex-5k for $299.99 Body/Batt/Lens 18-55/Flash.

Both were floor model demos...on top of those insane prices I had a coupon for $50 off open box compact DSL system so I was able to score the GF2 for ~$150 and Nex5 for ~$260

Link to coupon (expires 1/28/12) http://images.bestbuy.com/BestBuy_U...1/global/dnm/images/ETK7186_OpenBoxCoupon.pdf

Its a bit of an egg search so don't really get your hopes up, I just really lucked out. Most of the time you just have to go to your local Best Buy and ask what they have on Open Box and you might get lucky.

18. deodeo

deodeo Mu-43 Regular

Apr 13, 2011
    When u check online, do they show correct price? Or "see detail in store"?

19. sohcsleeper

sohcsleeper Mu-43 Regular

Jan 4, 2012
    Fort Lauderdale, FL
    From my experience if it says see detail in store the likelihood of getting that camera is <10% usually only if there is an actual price on website will the camera be in store also. You always try calling, but if its a really nice deal the employee might take it for themselves.

20. lenshoarder

Nov 7, 2010
    I find it very helpful to check the inventory online and bring that in to the store with you. Many times I've had them said they don't have a camera and then I show them the inventory. Magically they are able to find it then. I picked up a Panasonic FH5 for $15 over the weekend even though initially the CSRs said they hadn't seen that camera for months. Showing them the instore inventory off their website, they went to look and found it.