Picked my Z50 up today

Mike been watching your BIF for years. I'm an Oly guy who switched over to Nikon because Oly just didn't cut it with BIF. I bought a d500 and its a winner. I also own a z6 and was disappointed with it AF-C-----to be honest the tracking on the z series sucks. Its a great cam except for the shoddy AF system. It has great image quality, light weight, handles nicely,super sharp image with my 24-70 f/4, can use old glass with adapter------but for BIF ----UGGGGGGGGGG. Jus my opinion!!!
Ken
I would never knock the D500 its the best, as for tracking i never use it, center point only or a small group of points.

macro

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Danny
Many thanks, one problem was the lens isnt long enough for the Kingfisher that turned up

View attachment 784961
Just a little short mate :) Late next year I'm thinking about a Sony 200-600 with an A6400. Later on I can always add an A9 to replace the A7. AF might be the issue with me though and m4/3 is always here to stay. The crop factor of m4/3 really suits.

With FF and APS-C I need to be a lot closer to the subjects, or wait until they get closer to me using the same lenses. Some areas that works very well where m4/3 is just too close. So it sort of works both ways. A decent zoom might fix that issue to a large extent, but also maybe not.

All the best and maybe the Nikon 200-500 on the Z50 Mike.

Danny.

Playing with the higher ISOs

ISO 20,000

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Still not able to give any useful conclusions apart from i like it, the weather has been against me so i am still giving the ISO a free run so i can get the feel of it.

I do end up with stuff like this, not a lot of use image-wise but lets me work on getting the feel of it.

Did a lock on and maintain focus test, these are large crops and only for checking what the camera can do and how well ime coming to terms with it.

ac12

Mu-43 All-Pro
Even though we have switched to Olympus from Nikon, we still have a D2X (love the old buddy) and D750 cameras. We still have several Nikon lenses and I almost bit on the trade-in for the Z6. Trade-in value + trade-in bonus and a free Nikon lens adapter which would have brought the purchase price to $1195. I resisted but have had tremors of regret. I loved my Nikons but they got to heavy for me to lug around after I broke my dominant wrist. The Z50 has some interest and I might bite if Nikon sweetens the pot.
I'm inclined to go FX with the Z6 or D750, just to have more separation between m4/3 and the next camera up.
DX does not seem to be enough of a jump, up from m4/3. BUT, Mike's high ISO images are attractive.

The issue I have with the Z50 is the same that I have with the Nikon DX and Canon EF-S lines.
Once you push out of the DX/EF-S lens line, you are dealing with bigger/heavier FF/FX/EF lenses, especially the long lenses.
I got the FX Nikon 70-200/4, because at the time NO ONE had an equivalent DX lens. I wanted faster than the f/5.6 of the DX lenses.​
If so, you might as well go directly to the FX camera, because you are using FX lenses anyway.

I'm inclined to go FX with the Z6 or D750, just to have more separation between m4/3 and the next camera up.
DX does not seem to be enough of a jump, up from m4/3. BUT, Mike's high ISO images are attractive.

The issue I have with the Z50 is the same that I have with the Nikon DX and Canon EF-S lines.
Once you push out of the DX/EF-S lens line, you are dealing with bigger/heavier FF/FX/EF lenses, especially the long lenses.
I got the FX Nikon 70-200/4, because at the time NO ONE had an equivalent DX lens. I wanted faster than the f/5.6 of the DX lenses.​
If so, you might as well go directly to the FX camera, because you are using FX lenses anyway.
The reasons FX is of no interest to me are, the Z7 is too expensive and with those MP i would struggle to get a sharp image, the Z6 if cropped ( i did have a spell with the D750) would not leave enough MP most of the time.
The Sigma 100-400 is on my radar as it works with my Nikon V2.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom