Pick one lens brand

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by tkbslc, Aug 23, 2015.

1. Olympus

51 vote(s)
  2. Panasonic

33 vote(s)
  3. Sigma

4 vote(s)
  4. Voigtlander

1 vote(s)
  5. Other (comment)

2 vote(s)
  1. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Here's your "i'm bored" question of the day:

If you could only use lenses from ONE brand for your m4/3 camera, which would you choose?

Kind of a tough one for me, but I think I'm going to go with Panasonic. They have Leica, more pancakes and compact zooms, and smaller f2.8 lenses.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. davidzvi

davidzvi Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    I picked Panasonic as well. Not because I think they are the best, more it's the available selection and how they fit into my kit.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  3. cptobvious

cptobvious Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 8, 2013
    Oly and Pany are 50/50 for me. I think Oly currently have slightly better pro zooms, Pany has the better consumer zooms, and they both have excellent primes.

The reason I picked Oly is that I have an Oly body. After shooting both systems together for a bit, it seems their lenses are tuned in color/contrast for their respective signature profiles. Also, Pany's CA correction for their lenses only works with Pany bodies.
  4. Harvey Melvin Richards

Harvey Melvin Richards Photo Posting Junkie

Feb 15, 2014
    Southwest Utah
    I have 8 M4/3 Oly's + 1 vintage Oly. Zero Panasonics, guess which I would pick.
    • Funny Funny x 1
  5. EarthQuake

EarthQuake Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 30, 2013
    Panasonic. While I love my 12-40/2.8, and 75/1.8 and when I owned the 17/25/45/1.8 lenses they were great, my 7-14/4, 25/1.4 and 42.5/1.2 are the three lenses I use the most and will be least likely to give up.
  6. bigal1000

bigal1000 Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 10, 2010
    New Hampshire
    Panasonic for me..........
  7. nstelemark

nstelemark Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 28, 2013
    Halifax, Nova Scotia Canada
    So I have quite a few Panasonic lenses, and they are great, but Oly has lenses Panny does not and Oly has the whole range of lenses Panny has and then some.

I own all the higher end Panny lenses other than the 42.5 and the 15.

P12-35, I really like this one but I could use the 12-40.
    P35-100. You can easily use either the 75 (not weather sealed) or the 40-150. I can't say I really like the 35-100, partially because the 75 is so very good.
    P20. This is a great lens no question but the AF is just OK. The 17 while slightly shorter is really just as capable.
    P25. This one is better than the Oly version IMO but the O25 is also very good.
    P14. Really no Oly equivalent but other than size nothing super special.

Lenses Panny simply does not have:

O75. This lens is fantastic (yes there is the 42.5 1.2, but I think this is a toss up and the O75 doubles as a nice short tele).
    O8 1.8. Also fantastic no real equivalent (well really no equivalent in any system).
    O150f2. If Panny had released the 150 2.8 there would have been some competition, but it was cancelled.

And there is also the 300 f2.8.
  8. Droogie

Droogie Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 23, 2013
    Washington State
    I love the Sigmas
  9. HarryS

HarryS Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 23, 2012
    Midwest, USA
    Today, it's Bell and Howell. That what it says on my rebranded 85mm f1.4 that I'm using. Soft spot in my heart for that brand, Bell & Howell made lots of slide projectors and movie cameras, and I knew some machinists that worked at their plant outside Chicago in the 60's and 70's. Tomorrow, it might be Panasonic or Olympus.
    • Like Like x 1
  10. DynaSport

DynaSport Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 5, 2013
    The one lens Panasonic doesn't have that I would hate to not be able to buy is the 75. I don't own the 75 at present, but I'd love to. Outside that lens, I could get along quite nicely with all Panasonic lenses. I'm not saying there aren't other great Olympus lenses. I think the 12-40 and 40-150 2.8 zooms are great lenses. But I could do fine with the 12-35 and 35-100. The O45 is also a very nice lens, but I think I'd prefer the Panasonic 42.5s. The same can be said for the O25, nice but I am very happy with and prefer my PL25. So, come on Panasonic, make a lens comparable to the O75. And the 300 2.8 too while you're at it.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. T N Args

T N Args Agent Photocateur

Dec 3, 2013
    Adelaide, Australia
    call me Arg
    You are right, I am bored.
    • Agree Agree x 5
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Vivalo

Vivalo Olympus Loser

Nov 16, 2010
    Panasonic, but that's only because Olympus hasn't been able to release anything faster than 1.8 lenses. I must admit that I have also a soft spot for the PanaLeica lenses...
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. Turbofrog

Turbofrog Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 21, 2014
    Right now since I have Panasonic bodies and rely on slow-ish zooms for everyday photography, it's Panasonic since they have OIS. It's about as straightforward as that for me.

I also vastly prefer the sizing on the Panasonic pro lenses. The 40-150/2.8 is, in my opinion, comically large compared to the 35-100/2.8, though they obviously end up filling different roles in a lens bag due to the different focal lengths. I do covet the 12-40's MF snap-clutch, though, and I think I prefer its compromise of having more even resolution across the frame compared to the 12-35's sharper center and softer corners.

If cost were no object at all, I would probably re-evaluate my decisions, but I'm pretty happy with my kit as it is.
  14. GRID

GRID Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 22, 2011
    Olympus for me, with the 300mm comming and the F1 lenses it´s a no brainer for now :)
  15. m43happy

m43happy Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 18, 2012
    Can't decide so I'll pick both. Panasonic-Leica primes. Olympus Pro zooms.
    • Like Like x 1
  16. agentlossing

agentlossing Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    Impossible for me to answer, when I think about it. Of the lenses I have experienced, the Olympus 25mm blows me away, but then so does everything I've seen out of the Panasonic 15mm. I think Panasonic might have a slight edge but I just appreciate some of Olympus's lenses. So it's a toss-up (oh, and the Sigma 60mm!).
  17. Wolfeye

Wolfeye Mu-43 Regular

Mar 20, 2015
    Canon EOS. I have the Kipon AF adapter and I'm loving it.
  18. nzdigital

nzdigital Mu-43 Regular

Oct 20, 2010
    New Zealand
    I know this makes no 'real' sense, but I've just always felt happier matching manufacturers brands. So I choose Olympus lenses for my Olympus camera. Pure and simple.
  19. mrboult

mrboult New to Mu-43

Dec 11, 2012
    Panasonic I guess? But the benefit of the system is having both!

If the Pana 20mm & Oly 45mm didn't exist, I wouldn't be using M43rds cameras. The quality vs price and tiny size of those two lenses have no equal in any camera system.

I wouldn't replace the Oly45 for the new Pana42.5 & I wouldn't replace the Pana20 for the Oly17
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    "Pick one lens brand"

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 2