Picasa and Panasonic .RW2

Discussion in 'Image Processing' started by Mitchell Zimmerman, Dec 26, 2010.

1. Mitchell Zimmerman

Mitchell Zimmerman New to Mu-43

Jun 8, 2010
    Palo Alto CA
    I am having a problem with Picasa. Used to be Picasa would recognize and scan in photos I took with my Lumix GF1 and transferred into folders from the camera to my computer using Adobe Bridge. I could manipulate them there, put them into albums etc. Now it does not. That is, the function that scans folders for new photos and recognizes them does not work when the new file is rw2.

I don't know whether this is because I changed from JPEG to raw at some point or what -- a new version of Picasa? (I'm using 3.1.0) -- but whether I import them using Bridge, or simply drag and drop the set of RW2 files into a folder, Picasa still won't scan them in. Anything to be done about this? I guess going forward I can, at worst, set the camera to make both raw and jpegs, but this seems a poor fix. And what do I do about the photos I already have which are only in rw2? Thanks.
    p.s. Merry Christmas, all!

2. Boyzo

Boyzo Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 3, 2010
    Picasa RW2 import is a bit unpredictable Ok its free software
    I am using v3.8 and if would not import rw2 from my card shot with the GF1
    But dropping the rw2 files into /pictures folder (windows) and yes Picasa scanned them in Ok

Picasa does NOT do lens correction on RW2 files .. use SilkyPix which people hate but is excellent if Clumsy

The best by far is Adobe Lightroom 3.3 .... Plenty of RAW / RW2 convertors but none that do lens correction that the Pany jpeg does
    Ones that are free use dcraw (Picasa included)

Lighroom is really the GO :)
    btw You must have RAW checked on in options in Picasa