Phuket vacation shots, iPad, EM5 RAW and Snapseed

Ray Sachs

Super Moderator
Looks like a great way to keep image editing/management down to a minimal kit.

Only just recently got my first iPad (3) so have yet try this hands on.
With the SD to iPad adapter...does the iPad directly upload the files ? (Either automatically or by prompt). I ask because I am so used to having to upload to my iPhone via iTunes as my only option (thanks Apple!)

...also,

Ray, you mentioned also double backing onto a portable hard drive, is this also managed via the iPad (still unaware of all it's capabilities) or are you doing so via a laptop ?
It directly uploads to the ipad - you insert the SD card into the adapter, the adapter into the slot, and the photo app opens up with the whole batch and asks if you want to upload them. You can hit yes and upload them all or cherry pick and just upload some of them. I don't believe it checks for dupes though, so if you don't reformat your card after uploading, it'll run through all of them again the next time you try to upload.

The portable drive is totally independent of the ipad. It has its own slot for an SD card (and other slots for other media formats) and when you stick a card in, it automatically copies all of the data to a directory on the drive. That thing has a lot more capacity than the ipad so its a really good safety measure and then I can cull from the ipad knowing I'll still have the original files if I really need to go back and get something. When I spent a month away from home last April and was shooting pretty heavily nearly every day, I filled up the 64gb ipad and had to cull a LOT of shots from it, but I still had 'em on the portable drive if I'd ever needed them. I also uploaded the better shots of each day to Flickr as an absolute last ditch backup, so that if I lost everything in travel somehow, at least I'd have those snapseed processed files to have SOMETHING... Fortunately, nothing went wrong and I'd have been just fine with only the ipad, but I don't know that I'd trust JUST the ipad or any other single data storage option...

-Ray

Ray Sachs

Super Moderator
I reprocess everything after I get home, these aren't the finished images - which is why they aren't under public on my Flickr page. This post is more what can be done with an iPad on vacation, not that an iPad/Snapseed can replace an actual workstation with proper editing software.

I usually shoot just raw or just jpg depending on the situation. On vacation I just shoot raw so I have more editing data available for once I get home. I've never shot raw+jpg, if the iPad couldn't work with my raw files I might start.

Got it - thanks. I actually was surprised at how many of those Snapseed versions of shots I kept as final products. I reprocessed quite a lot, but a fairly large percentage of the snapseed processed shots ended up being the keepers. But I was shooting with two new cameras that didn't have raw support the last time I traveled for more than a couple of days, so I was shooting full res jpegs and had a lot to work with...

-Ray

playak47

Mu-43 Veteran
It directly uploads to the ipad - you insert the SD card into the adapter, the adapter into the slot, and the photo app opens up with the whole batch and asks if you want to upload them. You can hit yes and upload them all or cherry pick and just upload some of them. I don't believe it checks for dupes though, so if you don't reformat your card after uploading, it'll run through all of them again the next time you try to upload.

The portable drive is totally independent of the ipad. It has its own slot for an SD card (and other slots for other media formats) and when you stick a card in, it automatically copies all of the data to a directory on the drive. That thing has a lot more capacity than the ipad so its a really good safety measure and then I can cull from the ipad knowing I'll still have the original files if I really need to go back and get something. When I spent a month away from home last April and was shooting pretty heavily nearly every day, I filled up the 64gb ipad and had to cull a LOT of shots from it, but I still had 'em on the portable drive if I'd ever needed them. I also uploaded the better shots of each day to Flickr as an absolute last ditch backup, so that if I lost everything in travel somehow, at least I'd have those snapseed processed files to have SOMETHING... Fortunately, nothing went wrong and I'd have been just fine with only the ipad, but I don't know that I'd trust JUST the ipad or any other single data storage option...

-Ray

What is sd slot hard drive model #?

robbie36

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
rob collins
What is sd slot hard drive model #?

This may not be the model that Ray is referring to but it does have the added advantage (as well as the sd slot) that it can connect to the ipad via wifi (as well as usb to your pc)

HyperDrive COLORSPACE UDMA2

BTW TDP if its raining you might like to go into phuket town where they are currently restoring parts of the old town _ you should visit soi romanee

T

TDP

If you don't reformat between imports, the iPad remembers which photos are already downloaded.

Robbie: thanks, we might do that. I've been to Phuket many times and never made it to the old part of Phuket town.

T

TDP

8223011129_9e1e243f18_c.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Untitled by Photos By 夏天, on Flickr

8224088122_48de4d7366_c.jpg

8223012999_4d64759f21_c.jpg

8224086488_ef968d0e6f_c.jpg

8223013801_9753ee34c3_c.jpg

8224090996_a9c9010a20_c.jpg

8223015611_76c9c83a8a_c.jpg

T

TDP

Today's photos

Watched the sunset, went to Phuket Town's weekend night market and out for some drinks.

8234749785_01284cde2c_c.jpg

8235795718_56083b7050_c.jpg

8234719489_b45bf8431c_c.jpg

8235773162_a55d0ff3d0_c.jpg

8235762816_7d07eb3e81_c.jpg

8235767764_03b2fe5053_c.jpg

Glenn S

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Nice pics. Been to Phuket loads of times but never bothered to go to Phuket Town, looks interesting.

brianb032

Mu-43 Veteran
Great series. I really like the last one in #16. And the pineapple-n-shrimp fried-rice looks heavenly. I've never made an effort to stop by Phuket, despite having been to Thailand nearly half a dozen times, but pics like these always seem to bring me one click closer to booking a flight.

T

TDP

Great series. I really like the last one in #16. And the pineapple-n-shrimp fried-rice looks heavenly. I've never made an effort to stop by Phuket, despite having been to Thailand nearly half a dozen times, but pics like these always seem to bring me one click closer to booking a flight.

I've been all around Thailand and this part of the world as a whole and I keep coming back to Phuket. It is a great mix of everything.

T

TDP

Wrapping up some more shots while waiting at the airport. It's that or catch up on Kai Wong videos.

So the EM5 did outstanding as expected. Bad weather, low light? No problems. Fill flash worked great too. It is also nice to carry around a light and relatively inexpensive package.

I brought the 12-50, 7-14, CV 17.5 and CV 25 as well as a tripod. I never used the tripod or the 2 CVs, and rarely used the 7-14. I guess my next trip is going to be even lighter.

Now for some photos before I throw something at the loud group of people sitting many rows away from me in the lounge yet so freaking loud. Money does not make manners.

8241080456_a2c6b8a5c4_c.jpg

8239993973_955fec5f87_c.jpg

8239941829_0b0bd2eb50_c.jpg

8239988779_7734851726_c.jpg

8239991327_5a8da5cd64_c.jpg

Latest threads

Top Bottom