1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Phuket vacation shots, iPad, EM5 RAW and Snapseed

Discussion in 'Scenic, Architecture, and Travel' started by TDP, Nov 23, 2012.

1. TDP

TDP Guest

2. jpcairns

jpcairns Mu-43 Regular

Jul 21, 2012
    Vancouver, BC
    Joshua
    Great shots, I really enjoyed them.

3. MikeinAlexandria

MikeinAlexandria Mu-43 Rookie

Nov 10, 2012
    Very cool. I picked up a 32gb IPad mini, in part for this sort of thing. It is small, light and can store my photos till they get uploaded to Facebook or Photobucket. I also added the cellular option, which includes a GPS chip and multi-band GSM radio. So pay as you go data can work for me in Europe! Cool stuff.

Thailand is on the travel list someday!

4. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    Very nice shots! :thumbup:

5. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    These are nice. (Do you pay more for a 'D' sized glass?)

Gary

6. dav1dz

dav1dz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 6, 2012
    Canada
    I ate way too much of that pancakes (crepe) stuff while I was there the last time around.

7. TDP

TDP Guest

I come here a few times a year. I usually get sunburned, drink too much, spend too much and lose weight. This time I decided to change my ways......I'm going to wear sunblock :)

8. TDP

TDP Guest

Maybe so, it makes the glass easier to grip.

9. TDP

TDP Guest

Get a iPad to SD adaptor and you are in business.

10. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    Easier ... or nicer ...

11. jpcairns

jpcairns Mu-43 Regular

Jul 21, 2012
    Vancouver, BC
    Joshua
    Similar to why you bring it and others have mentioned, I'm seriously considering a tablet just for travel for photography.

This summer I backpacked Portugal/Spain/France, and my SDHC card became corrupted! Luckily, and I mean that to an incredible degree, it corrupted on just the start of the 4th day. Therefore I only lost 3 out of 40 days' worth of photos. And, I was in Lisbon for 5 days, so it meant quickly running around to get some shots on the new SD card to remember the city! Needless to say, I went to the store right away and bought some top-quality cards.

So, with a tablet, I can easily upload after I shoot them each night and live without fear! Seriously, every day after that corrupt card I was paranoid it would happen again. I've never known such fear.

12. TDP

TDP Guest

Remind me when I get home, I have a tool that should recover and extract files from any media that isn't physically broken. It is UNIX based and command line, so a Mac, a Linux box or services for unix on a windows machine should work. I used it to recover deleted images and it pulled photos back from 3 different shoot/format sessions. I can't remember the program name right now tho...

13. jpcairns

jpcairns Mu-43 Regular

Jul 21, 2012
    Vancouver, BC
    Joshua
    Alright, will do! As I don't actually know when you'll be home, I'll probably just send you a message some time tomorrow!

I gave a stab at a recovery program that came with my Sandisk cards, but it failed :(

I haven't given up hope though!

14. jpcairns

jpcairns Mu-43 Regular

Jul 21, 2012
    Vancouver, BC
    Joshua
    I should also have said thanks in my reply... so thanks! I really appreciate it.

15. TDP

TDP Guest

No problem at all....but I'm on vacation for 10 days :)

16. TDP

TDP Guest

Day 2. After some beach time it rained, so we hit the mall to eat and shop. 12-50 and 7-14 used for these shots.

8212953199_231c98b0b2_c.
    Untitled by Photos By 夏天, on Flickr

Camera bag for this trip. A Porter messenger bag plus camera insert.
    8212963059_7c95a9cae9_c.

Lunch at Fuji
    8212974857_ca08bbdcd4_c.

I drink espresso, she shops
    8214066570_9fa49d57de_c.

Phuket Central Festival
    8212992829_135ea7be94_c.

8213007989_ca27f9d15a_c.

Ride home
    8214102954_c8b7eed42a_c.

17. TDP

TDP Guest

18. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2010
    Near Philadephila
    Great shots, nicely processed! I also travel with an iPad for both storage and processing and rely on snapseed almost entirely. I also take a small backup drive to back up my SD cards just in case.

You do realize, though, that when you process your OMD files, snapseed is not actually processing the raw files? It's processing the little sidecar jpeg file that is imported along with the raw. The raw is then passed through to the Mac when you finally upload your files, along with the processed jpeg. I don't mind this because I often reprocess the raw files from my more challenging shots on the Mac later. But if you're making the iPad the basis for all of your processing, I hope youre aware of this. It would make sense to shoot in jpeg or raw+jpeg so you're working on a higher quality jpeg when processing on the iPad. If you're aware or if I missed a discussion earlier in the thread (I've scanned it but haven't read every post closely), sorry to take up your time. But, if not, I hope this is useful information.

-Ray

19. TDP

TDP Guest

I reprocess everything after I get home, these aren't the finished images - which is why they aren't under public on my Flickr page. This post is more what can be done with an iPad on vacation, not that an iPad/Snapseed can replace an actual workstation with proper editing software.

I usually shoot just raw or just jpg depending on the situation. On vacation I just shoot raw so I have more editing data available for once I get home. I've never shot raw+jpg, if the iPad couldn't work with my raw files I might start.

20. Livnius

Livnius Super Moderator

Jul 7, 2011
    Melbourne. Australia
    Joe
    Looks like a great way to keep image editing/management down to a minimal kit.

Only just recently got my first iPad (3) so have yet try this hands on.
    With the SD to iPad adapter...does the iPad directly upload the files ? (Either automatically or by prompt). I ask because I am so used to having to upload to my iPhone via iTunes as my only option (thanks Apple!)

...also,

Ray, you mentioned also double backing onto a portable hard drive, is this also managed via the iPad (still unaware of all it's capabilities) or are you doing so via a laptop ?