1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Phottix Strato II for Canon w/ E-M1?

Discussion in 'Lighting Forum' started by TRCPhoto, Jan 25, 2015.

1. TRCPhoto

TRCPhoto Mu-43 Regular

Dec 13, 2014
    Princeton, NJ
    Just curious if anyone here has experience using the Phottix Strato II for Canon with their Oly?

I found this article on DP Review and am thinking of giving it a spin...

2. mandomoose

mandomoose New to Mu-43

Jan 7, 2012
    I use the Stratto II transmitter for Canon on my E-M5 along with receivers for FL-600R and FL-50R flashes (and also Nikon SB Flashes) and it works great for manual control of the off-camera flashes. It's really nice to be able to turn on and off different flash groups from the camera. There is also the TTL pass thru for an on-camera dedicated flash, but I have never used it.

Hope this helps!

• Like Like x 1
  3. vbi

vbi Mu-43 Regular

Apr 15, 2014
    Cape Town
    Have a look at the Cactus V6 triggers. They don't have TTL but do allow full manual control of up to 4 groups and are compatible with many different makes of speedlight.

4. TRCPhoto

TRCPhoto Mu-43 Regular

Dec 13, 2014
    Princeton, NJ
    I have a set of Cactus V6s that I really am not a fan of. They are about the same size as the PW Flex TT5, which is too big sitting on top of a m43 camera. Something along the size of the TT1 would be more appropriate. Plus, the V6 has an oddly long neck on the bottom male hot shoe connecter. This enhances the stress point, and when a flash is added the force from turning the camera, radio trigger, and flash upside down and right-side up over and over (which happens all event long with camera harness' like Black Rapid or the Spider Belt I currently use) becomes too much and easily breaks. I've had this happen with Canons and PWs and the PW has a shorter neck (smaller stress point) and to my touch is a much sturdier piece.

5. vbi

vbi Mu-43 Regular

Apr 15, 2014
    Cape Town
    The Strato's don't allow you to set the output level of the remotes, while the Cactus does.

I never use a speedlight on my EM-1 preferring to work with multiple off-camera speedlights controlled from the camera using the Cactus V6 or previously the PW TT5 and AC3 combo.

• Like Like x 1
  6. TRCPhoto

TRCPhoto Mu-43 Regular

Dec 13, 2014
    Princeton, NJ
    I've not been able to control the manual output level from my V6. I've tried it with the FL-600r and Canon 600exrt. Only thing I can do is trigger the flash at the setting I input directly into the unit, then turn individual groups on or off via the V6.

7. vbi

vbi Mu-43 Regular

Apr 15, 2014
    Cape Town
    Are you running the latest firmware. As far as I know the Canon 600 is only supported with the latest version, while they don't offer support for the FL-600R yet. But there is a very ingenious way to teach the Cactus V6 how to work with the FL600. Might be wirth looking at.

I use my triggers with my 580II and 430II speedlights, so have not picked up any compatibility problems.

8. TRCPhoto

TRCPhoto Mu-43 Regular

Dec 13, 2014
    Princeton, NJ
    When did they release the latest firmware update? I bought mine early January and went through a whole ordeal because Cactus didn't offer an updater for mac users and I ended up being a beta tester. I believe it was mid January when we were able to get the process to work. Since then I'm able to allow the FL-600r to fire TTL on camera, and trigger the off camera in manual but I have to set and change the power output by hand on the speedily itself.