Photozone tests m4/3 kit lenses

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by dhazeghi, Aug 3, 2013.

1. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    It looks like photozone has recently added a number of m4/3 lens tests to their site, including the Olympus 12-50, Panasonic 14-42II, Olympus 14-42II and Panasonic 45-150.

The Panasonic 14-42II looks particularly good - sharper than the other 3 standard zooms across the range, in a package as small as the Olympus 14-42II, but without the annoying retraction system.
  2. b_rubenstein

b_rubenstein Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 20, 2012
    Melbourne, FL
    If I get the GX7, I just might get that bundled kit lens for another $100.
  3. dougjgreen

dougjgreen Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 5, 2013
    San Diego
    Doug Green
    I think it's noteworthy how much better they liked both of the inexpensive Panasonic lenses compared to their Olympus counterparts.

Which leads me to the conclusion that when I pick up my GX7, I'll get it with the kit lens, and I'll include my Olympus 14-42 II lens with whichever of my other bodies (either my G5 or my E-PL2) I decide to sell down the road once I have the GX7.
  4. mrjr

mrjr Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 25, 2012
    Man, I was just about to pull the trigger on the 12-50 for a walkaround lens that does 12mm and macro and has weather-sealing (covering three things none of my other lenses do). I'm not that worried about sharpness figures, as I figure most any lens will be sharp enough for my uses, but the color fringing seems quite worse than most other lenses in the system, and it already bothers me on my P14 and PL25 as it is. Frustrating.

Guess I'm going to fire up Olympus Viewer 2 and see how painful it is going to be to process RAW to remove it. Ugh.
  5. woof

woof Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 18, 2011
    The present.
    The Panasonic 45-150mm results jibe with my experience. Picked it up as a a part of a G5 kit and am very happy with it.

6. mrjr

mrjr Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 25, 2012

Now I'm going to seriously consider this one to replace my 45-200. See that lens is fine in the middle of its range and up to 150, so I rarely use it above 150 anyway. The 45-150 is compelling since it performs so well and is remarkably compact compared to the 45-200. Nice CA control, too.

In your experience, does it do well at 150 when focused to infinity?
  7. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    I am not fond of the 12-50, but there's not exactly a lot of options for weather sealing. I use the 14-54 any time I can, but if I need fast focus in the rain it's the 12-50. The 12-35 is the only other option and it's a big step up in price.
  8. gugarci

gugarci Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 8, 2012
    Lyndhurst, NJ
    I wouldn't pay too much attention to the reviews of the 12-50. While it has it's flaws It has a great range and it's still capable of capturing some stunning images. CA's can be easily removed. Wide angle lenses that start around 24mm are always softer in the corners. All zoom lenses are sharper at the beginning of the zoom range than the long end. Nothing too surprising here. Sharpness can easily be fixed in post processing.

The only reason I would never buy this lens it's because of the size. But if the size doesn't bother you buy one. But look for a used one. Brand new this lens is overpriced and that goes for other Olympus lenses too like my 12mm.

My next purchase will probably be the 17mm lens. I love using primes. By next year I will buy an E-P5 or a GX-7. but i've never been a fan of Panasonic JPG's but the sample I've seen look pretty good.