Photowall - hanging prints made easy

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by Radiohead, Jun 10, 2012.

1. Radiohead

Radiohead Mu-43 Rookie

Sep 1, 2011
    Stockholm, Sweden
    When I made my presentation post last week I mentioned my photowall at home and was asked to show it so I figured I should show how it looks. Sorry for the lousy picture but I think you get the idea.

Basically you paint a wall with a paint containting particles of iron (or other material that magnets will stick on). It's a thick paint, usually very dark, so it may be difficult to use this on a white wall without having to paint many layers of light paint on top of it.

Once this is done you need to find suitable magnets. Normal fridge magnets are not strong enough but Neodymium magnets, easily found on Ebay, works great. The smallest I use are 5x5x5mm cubes but they work better on smaller prints. They are quite cheap though so you can always use many of them! Once this is done it's just to arrange your prints and fasten them using the magnets.

Now I just need to order some new prints and replace some of last years. Even if it's now simpler to hang up prints (no need to find frames) one still need to select and print them...!

• Like Like x 8
  2. LegacyLens

LegacyLens Mu-43 Regular

Apr 25, 2012
    That is so cool!

Manual focus, the lost trade.
  3. penfan2010

penfan2010 Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 12, 2010
    NJ, USA
    Great idea. Thanks for sharing.
  4. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    It looks great, thanks for adding the pic - a really good idea! :thumbup:
  5. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Great idea and implementation.

I've fabricated something that serves a similar purpose out of light wire rope, but this seems even more versatile.

I don't currently have any pics of my "system", but Photojojo sells something very similar:
    • Like Like x 1
  6. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    This looks like it could be more easily moved from wall to wall or room to room. Thanks.
  7. arch stanton

arch stanton Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 25, 2012
    DeejayK, I'd love to see/hear more about how you're hanging these - that looks great!

Love both of them, really modern looking print presentation :)
  8. phrenic

phrenic Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 13, 2010
    Really cool way of displaying your pics. I love playing around with different sized/ratio pics for fun and can't be bothered with carefully framing/rearranging them all the time. Hmm I'll have to see how much this paint is at the hardware stores in Canada..
  9. Linh

Linh Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 14, 2009
    Maryland, US
    Man, a gallon of the stuff on Amazon is $60. Which isn't too bad.. until you see the $20-$25 shipping cost =(

The wire looks neat too, but I'd be afraid of knocking them off walking by and the non-uniformity (I want to do this in a hallway)
  10. Radiohead

Radiohead Mu-43 Rookie

Sep 1, 2011
    Stockholm, Sweden
    I checked two places here on Sweden and one place had it and the other one said that sometimes it goes a year without anyone asking for it. But whenever they aired any TV program that featured the magnetic paint, they would get some customers asking for it. Try a well sorted paintshop or store selling stuff for 'home improvement'.

Cheers / Niklas
  11. WJW59

WJW59 Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 20, 2011
    I've worked in several different paint stores and we usually kept a couple of cans of this on the shelf. The two I'm most familiar are ActiveWall (gray) and Rustoleum Magnetic Primer (black). IIRC, both covered about an 8 x12 ft area per gallon and worked reasonably well. I think ActiveWall is only available online now but the Rustoleum should be available at Home Depot, Lowe's, etc. and most independent stores should be able to get it. I had several customers use the magnetic & chalkboard paint together and the results were OK if the wall was smooth.
    • Like Like x 2