melanie.ylang

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Get Patched is the place to get your leather patches made and applied, or repairs made to your leather gear - they even do custom footwear, bags and lots more! With big name clients, including world-class stunt rider Joelene Van Vugt (who I watched with awe when she appeared in the TV show Nitro Circus), you can be sure your leather goods will be in expert hands. Our classic car club went on a cruise to meet Jan and Roy at their business premises in Apsley, western Victoria.

Figuring the workshop, situated in an former garage with south-facing (shade side) windows, would be challenging to shoot in, I took my GX7 and Canon FD 50mm f1.8 + Pixco Roxsen focal reducer.

I asked Jan if she could make me a hair barrette, based on one I took with me, and to my surprise she immediately grabbed a roll of thick, black leather and I had it in my hair in no time!

Here's the shop front, where they've screened the windows with perforated murals - from inside, you wouldn't know you're looking through a screen:
5190623-01-01.jpeg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Looking across Jan's workbench, through the screens at the end window. Isn't that amazing?
5190658-01-01.jpeg

One of a number of vintage industrial sewing machines - built to last forever:
5190645-02-01.jpeg

Jan begins tracing the barrette, ready to cut out:
5190669-01-01.jpeg

Punching holes in either end for the pin to slide through:
5190676-01.jpeg
5190672-02.jpeg

Finishing the piece:
5190683-01.jpeg

Street front view in a tiny border town:
5190624-01-01.jpeg

Web-Betty

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Melissa
These are wonderful! I love the black and white treatment. You need to post one of you with the barrette in your hair. :)

melanie.ylang

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
These are wonderful! I love the black and white treatment. You need to post one of you with the barrette in your hair. :)
Thank you very much! I think I'd like to work on a project of people working with their hands, to showcase these skills.

Crdome

Mu-43 Legend
Real Name
Michael
Melanie -Absolutely stunning. Beautiful treatment of subject and composition! Incredible lighting and value ranges. I hope there is another batch forthcoming!

-Chrome

fotoactvst

Mu-43 Regular
Nicely done, but the second hammer image is marred by obvious rolling shutter distortion.

MorningWalk

Mu-43 Regular
Lovely pictures of a craftswoman at work and her environment. The black and white works very well. Thanks for sharing.

Thai-Mike

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Michael
Get Patched is the place to get your leather patches made and applied, or repairs made to your leather gear - they even do custom footwear, bags and lots more! With big name clients, including world-class stunt rider Joelene Van Vugt (who I watched with awe when she appeared in the TV show Nitro Circus), you can be sure your leather goods will be in expert hands. Our classic car club went on a cruise to meet Jan and Roy at their business premises in Apsley, western Victoria.

Figuring the workshop, situated in an former garage with south-facing (shade side) windows, would be challenging to shoot in, I took my GX7 and Canon FD 50mm f1.8 + Pixco Roxsen focal reducer.

I asked Jan if she could make me a hair barrette, based on one I took with me, and to my surprise she immediately grabbed a roll of thick, black leather and I had it in my hair in no time!

Here's the shop front, where they've screened the windows with perforated murals - from inside, you wouldn't know you're looking through a screen: View attachment 753699
Looking across Jan's workbench, through the screens at the end window. Isn't that amazing?
View attachment 753700
One of a number of vintage industrial sewing machines - built to last forever: View attachment 753701
Jan begins tracing the barrette, ready to cut out: View attachment 753702
Punching holes in either end for the pin to slide through: View attachment 753703 View attachment 753704
Finishing the piece: View attachment 753705
View attachment 753706

Wonderful documentary

Jeffcs

Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Here's the shop front, where they've screened the windows with perforated murals - from inside, you wouldn't know you're looking through a screen: View attachment 753699
View attachment 753700
One of a number of vintage industrial sewing machines - built to last forever: View attachment 753701
Jan begins tracing the barrette, ready to cut out: View attachment 753702
Punching holes in either end for the pin to slide through: View attachment 753703 View attachment 753704
Finishing the piece: View attachment 753705
View attachment 753706
Love this series B&W working with your hands

Latest threads

Top Bottom