Photowalk in an Australian Border Town: Get Patched! Leather Workshop

melanieylang

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Get Patched is the place to get your leather patches made and applied, or repairs made to your leather gear - they even do custom footwear, bags and lots more! With big name clients, including world-class stunt rider Joelene Van Vugt (who I watched with awe when she appeared in the TV show Nitro Circus), you can be sure your leather goods will be in expert hands. Our classic car club went on a cruise to meet Jan and Roy at their business premises in Apsley, western Victoria.

Figuring the workshop, situated in an former garage with south-facing (shade side) windows, would be challenging to shoot in, I took my GX7 and Canon FD 50mm f1.8 + Pixco Roxsen focal reducer.

I asked Jan if she could make me a hair barrette, based on one I took with me, and to my surprise she immediately grabbed a roll of thick, black leather and I had it in my hair in no time!

Here's the shop front, where they've screened the windows with perforated murals - from inside, you wouldn't know you're looking through a screen:
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Looking across Jan's workbench, through the screens at the end window. Isn't that amazing?

One of a number of vintage industrial sewing machines - built to last forever:

Jan begins tracing the barrette, ready to cut out:

Punching holes in either end for the pin to slide through:

Finishing the piece:

Street front view in a tiny border town:

melanieylang

Mu-43 Top Veteran
These are wonderful! I love the black and white treatment. You need to post one of you with the barrette in your hair. :)
Thank you very much! I think I'd like to work on a project of people working with their hands, to showcase these skills.

Top Bottom