Photostores in New York

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by Gerald, Jan 5, 2012.

1. Gerald

Gerald Mu-43 Regular

Sep 20, 2011
    Hi all

I go on a short trip to New York soon, and I think of buying myself the 20mm or 25mm panasonic lens there (still undecided). What stores do you recommend? If I am not mistaken B&H should be located there somewhere, but there must be more I guess. I'd like to have some backup plans should the 25 be out of stock.

Thanks.

2. kevinparis

kevinparis Cantankerous Scotsman

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    B& H is definitely worth a visit.... but check their opening hours... they like many of the camera stores in new york are run by hassidic jews who take their sabbath very seriously ... so are shut on a saturday... and shut earlier on a friday as well

17th street photo is another place I have dealt with... their 'store' is kinda hidden on the second floor of an office block and isn't large, but they have been in business for years and have a good rep

K

3. pcnyc

pcnyc Mu-43 Regular

Sep 15, 2010
    adorama is in new york city as well, also worth a visit, their store is not as big as B&H but also doesn't seem as overwhelming or even chaotic.

4. kevinparis

kevinparis Cantankerous Scotsman

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    plus one for Adorama... I forgot I bought stuff from them too

K

5. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    Unique is up there also!

6. kanasgowatom

kanasgowatom Mu-43 Regular

Nov 11, 2011
    New York photo stores

While B&H and Adorama are fine stores, you will pay NY taxes, whereas mail order, no taxes.

kanasgowatom

• Like Like x 1
  7. UkrainianOne

UkrainianOne Mu-43 Regular

Jul 29, 2011
    Long Island, New York
    yea the NYC & NYS taxes are a killer, hence why I buy most of my equipment online!

8. Gerald

Gerald Mu-43 Regular

Sep 20, 2011
    Cheers for all the responses and tips. I didn't know about NY taxes, so thanks for the heads up.

9. lenshoarder

lenshoarder Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 7, 2010
    B&H takes that into account. If they know you are an out of towner, they will calculate the sales tax and compare it to how much shipping will be. They'll advise you on which is cheaper. If shipping is, you can "buy" it in store and they will ship it to you instead, thus avoiding NY sales tax.

I'll add another vote for B&H. I'll also toss in J&R into the ring although they've evolved into more of an electronics store than a pure photo place. But even B&H sells computer stuff these days.

If you are also interested in old MF glass, I would suggest Hells Kitchen swap meet and also the garage one. Most of the stuff in the garage is way over priced for the antique market but there's this one guy who only sells photo equipment that is crazy cheap. He has quite the spread.

• Like Like x 1